The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relab LX480 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp69 View Post
C is NOT from the LX480 plugin, but from the Random Hall from the Lexicon PCM Native bundle.
Ha ha !

That's the best news I've heard since Christmas heh
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Nut

I have my home stereo here and at first took a liking to C, but then said wait, let me try to listen I want to buy this thing, leaned forward (mentally) and turned up the vol, and decided I like B. In a mix situation I wouldn't know, for now I'm just guessing, but side with B. Actually, why I like any of them is up for dispute unitl I get a hold of the gadget. Anyway, dang, good times!
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Nut

I have my home stereo here and at first took a liking to C, but then said wait, let me try to listen I want to buy this thing, leaned forward (mentally) and turned up the vol. I like B. In a mix situation I wouldn't know for now I'm just guessing, but side with B at 10:10GMT . Actually, why I like any of them is up for dispute unitl I put the science\technology to use. Anyway, dang, good times!!!
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

D is the 'more' one dimensional sound.. I hope it's not D. It probably is though.
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ssa View Post
D is the 'more' one dimensional sound.. I hope it's not D. It probably is though.
That might be better than nasty. I deleted the samples already but a couple of them were downright nasty in terms of me-guessing-what was important. I heard a gunshot and thought some were clear sorta, one was hyped, one was majorly twirly, two were spinners, and one was linear from front to back, mostly, but seemed nice. Yep, I need better D\A. Drats, and I need better montitors too.
edit: was trying to be lighthearted, dang my humor is dry tonite!
(still B)
Goodnight.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Oh, how I hate these guessing games... just say already!
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

cant hear a difference between A and C after matching levels and phase
raw files and demo please
Old 30th December 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
raw files and demo please
I posted the dry wav (if that's what you mean by raw) on the previous page.
And yes, demo already .
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
I posted the dry wav (if that's what you mean by raw) on the previous page.
And yes, demo already .
wow, that one little tap got all that!

I just read TapeOP No. 74 p.32 in there Mr Botnick said the 8 chambers at Capitol were all built to same spec, but one was "the one". So, I dunno about all this now.
Old 30th December 2009
I always think its the small spaces that seperate the men from the boys when it comes to Reverb...

Could we have a eg 'Tiled Room' preset test on this sample?

Congo Lexicon Tiled Room test
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

I think it's D, but i hope i'm wrong cause it's the one i like the least.. (sounds a bit thin..)
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkrk View Post
[..]

D: Something in the early reflections overpowers the snare attack (similar to A but not as much) ,the reverb tail is the widest, and has the most noise. Overall this has the 'biggest' sound.

Overall I like the early reflections of B with the overall bigness and tail of D (of course choice would depend on the song context).

Given that developer is trying to make an impact, I would say D is the plug because it has the biggest sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
I think it's D, but i hope i'm wrong cause it's the one i like the least.. (sounds a bit thin..)
It's funny to see how people have a different opinion. I have not listened to the audio samples myself. As soon as I'm at home, I will take a listen myself.

However.. I think I don't have what it takes to really pick out the "best" one.. I do hear differences between different reverbs.. but I for example just LOVE the free Epicverb, I love it on synth leads/pads as it really can change the sound the way I like it.. but you guys probably think I'm crazy... heh
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

maybe it appear big cause there is more resonance in the sound from what i remember ,too me it was souding a bit fake, like a emulation, i hope it s not D, if it s A or B i m sure to buy it
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

I think, C is the plugin,
the files A, B and D have a slight amount of hiss, which I can't hear in C.
Also the beginning waves of C are really different than the other 3, while the character of A B and D is basically similar.

Unfortunately C feels a little bit plastiq, the others sound more homogeneous to my ears.
Old 30th December 2009
OMU
Lives for gear

You should just read before posting, it has already been said that C is the Lexi PCM plugin.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Oops, missed that.
It was post #412...

So thats good news, the other 3 are so close, that I don't mind at all.
Old 30th December 2009
OMU
Lives for gear

More examples would be very interesting. I'm also very curious about the price now.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

C might have a weak early setup but I will note that the PCM96 has the most thorough ability to program the early setup of any reverb I've worked with...so this may just be an unfortunately set up ER I didn't like.
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Addict

very impressive. i dont know which one i prefer but i think the plugin is B. A and D sound most similiar to me, only listened with headphones.
Old 31st December 2009
Here for the gear

D has different tale modulation...too much mid bass and too much tone
Old 31st December 2009
Gear Addict

I don't know which one is the plugin, but my favourite is A, I hear it a bit fuller and the impact of the snare is seems snappier to my ears...
Old 31st December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenemo View Post
I don't know which one is the plugin, but my favourite is A, I hear it a bit fuller and the impact of the snare is seems snappier to my ears...
It sounds like its also the one with the shortest predelay.
Old 1st January 2010
Gear Addict

The settings on C are crazy, and a really unfair representation against the other three examples.

Sorry, but if you open up a PCM native random hall and go to even a default preset, say large hall 3, and run the dry snare provided by shy it sounds MUCH less crazy than your example C. MUCH LESS.

I can see if you were "matching" settings by numbers and not using your ears but really.... come on. Are you serious???? And the craziest most obvious sounding one is the only one you give away?

In order to mimic the C example I had to go into the "Reflections" edit page and make irrational adjustments to L-L, L-R , R-R, R-L delays. BOO.

I'm not saying the other three and the mystery behind it isn't exciting... but I really thought that this should be pointed out considering the marketing duality of this thread.
Old 1st January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Dracula View Post
The settings on C are crazy, and a really unfair representation against the other three examples.

Sorry, but if you open up a PCM native random hall and go to even a default preset, say large hall 3, and run the dry snare provided by shy it sounds MUCH less crazy than your example C. MUCH LESS.

I can see if you were "matching" settings by numbers and not using your ears but really.... come on. Are you serious???? And the craziest most obvious sounding one is the only one you give away?

In order to mimic the C example I had to go into the "Reflections" edit page and make irrational adjustments to L-L, L-R , R-R, R-L delays. BOO.

I'm not saying the other three and the mystery behind it isn't exciting... but I really thought that this should be pointed out considering the marketing duality of this thread.
Good for you. This thread is a kabuki theatre. tutt
Old 1st January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
Good for you. This thread is a kabuki theatre. tutt
? Please elaborate.
Old 1st January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
? Please elaborate.
I am underscoring your points in full agreement with you. This entire thread has been a crafty manipulation of public opinion in an effort to distract/detract from Lexicon's plugin launch and gin up interest in another plugin we can't yet try for ourselves.

It turns me off of the whole thing. If they have something for us to test, they should yield it or shut up.

I wish they didn't treat audio engineers like children.
Old 1st January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
I am underscoring your points in full agreement with you. This entire thread has been a crafty manipulation of public opinion in an effort to distract/detract from Lexicon's plugin launch and gin up interest in another plugin we can't yet try for ourselves.

It turns me off of the whole thing. If they have something for us to test, they should yield it or shut up.

I wish they didn't treat audio engineers like children.

I disagree.
Old 1st January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

The point was to test the actual implementation of the Random Hall algorithm - which means no use of the reflections and diffusion. Set Shape and Spread to '0' and it's quite easy to replicate the sound. The implementation are more or less different between all the Lexicon products (maybe except 480L and 300L - they should be quite close to each other).

The reason for using the Random Hall algorithm for testing is that it's the only algorithm that's available on most high-end Lexicon products.

I think most people thinks all tests sounds good - just different, but I can't understand the dislike of the 'D' test.

A = 480L
B = LX480 plugin
C = PCM Native
D = 480L

After I have posted the samples I discovered that I had hardcoded the SPIN value on the plugin (for testing purpose) - therefor there's a small different in the SPIN value compared to A and D.
Old 1st January 2010
Lives for gear

I'll wager that your plug-in is 'D'.. not many like that sample and you don't seem too interested in fessing up.

EDIT-------------

Oops! Looks like I stuffed up there as you already mentioned it... my timing is spot on as usual.

Apologies to W69... and another
Old 1st January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ssa View Post
I'll wager that your plug-in is 'D'.. not many like that sample and you don't seem too interested in fessing up
The only difference between 'A' and 'D' is that 'D' was recorded 1.5 min later.

It's impossible to get the exact same recording from the Random Hall algorithm since it has a lot of random elements that change continuously. I could make 1000 recordings and none of them would sound identical.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search