The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relab LX480 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Sounds nice..
I'm guessing C.wav is the plugin.. Just a hunch, my ears hear something different with C.... D.wav would be my 2nd guess, if it's A,B, or D at that point the differences are so minimal might as well be the same.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Lovely.

Just a tad too much modulation on sample C but if that's the plugin and it can be tamed in the settings you've got a buyer here.

A,B + D are all very similar.

If the plugin is any of those.. you can charge what you like.

Nice one,

Al
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

I'll let elambo, TMY and Casey to choose which sample is which.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

Yaa !!! C stands out.....
Old 29th December 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Very nice. C, I suppose, as it has some different "smoothness" and filtering.
Sounds very close to the rest, and in fact all of them sound very close to the PCM Native/PCM96 Random Hall. Some differences in the attack, filtering and spaciousness, but generally extremely similar.

Personally I wouldn't say either is "better".

Here's the same snare+hi hat with the PCM Native Random Hall for comparison:

A
B

Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to test these now.
Old 29th December 2009
Gear Addict

Very nice samples!

C stands out in the early part of the reverb compared to A,B and D, which sound similar but slightly different. Also C seems to be the only one without noise floor, though this may be due to filtering. If A,B or D is the plugin I would be really surprised
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

for me not the best samples...
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Yep, c definitely has to be the plug. Sounds great though! Can't wait to demo it against the PCM plugs.
Old 30th December 2009
ValhallaDSP

I'm putting my money on C as well.

A, B and D have almost identical early patterns and L-R movement. The sound is kind of like a "cha, la-ba, (la-ba, la-baaaaaa)", with A a bit more of a "tshhsa, la-ba, (la-ba, la-baaaaa)".

C has far more of a Left/Right movement in the early attach, and several more discrete echos (or at least perceived echos in the L/R imaging). More of a "cha-ta-la-ba, (la-baaaaa)." The early echos seem to turn into a more diffuse pattern quicker than the other sound files. Also, things seem a bit brighter, but it is hard to tell if this is a side effect of different filter settings / topology, or slightly different echo topology.

It would be interesting to perform the inverse test, with 3 tests from the new algorithm, and 1 from the 480L. I might be hearing the results of faster modulation, or just the particular state that the randomization is in for each recording. I have never heard a 480L, other than these online tests, and have no hands-on experience of any Random Hall algorithm. The artifacts I hear are certainly MUCH different than the 224XL type algorithms, where the early reflection patterns would remain fixed, and the tail would be randomized in pitch with increasing sidebands.

Obviously, the sound files are quite close. And extra kudos for having the guts to send out a snare drum test, instead of something like vocals where it would be much harder to pick out the early reflections.
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Maniac

I'm desparately hoping that B is the plugin because it sounds amazing...! Wow...smooth...

Don't really like A and D. Same quality level, no doubt, but not quite my taste.

C feels strange to me. Obviously different, but mainly the least 3D-factor. You don't really want to make it blend into a mix...
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

+1
An inverse test would be fun. 3 plugin files / 1 480 file
Having access to the original sample would be handy as well.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuseburn View Post
I'm desparately hoping that B is the plugin because it sounds amazing...! Wow...smooth...

Don't really like A and D. Same quality level, no doubt, but not quite my taste.

C feels strange to me. Obviously different, but mainly the least 3D-factor. You don't really want to make it blend into a mix...
I'm really starting to think that noise adds a bit of that 3rd dimension.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Thats it i'm making a plugin that loops a 480L noise.wav file

All jokes aside I bet people would go for it. Maybe I should. Then I could do TC noise.... nah I prefer to sleep at night..
Quote:
If he gets up.. we'll all get up... it'll be anarchy!
Truth is every one of those files sounds good.. Someone could get a great verb sound from that plugin for sure. Well i'm basing my opinion on Warps wonderful work with X-Verb as well.
I might get killed for saying this but I'm in the process of trading my Lex m300 & PCM 70 do to his work on X-verb.

Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythminmind View Post
Thats it i'm making a plugin that loops a 480L noise.wav file

All jokes aside a bet people would go for it. Maybe I should. Then I could do TC noise.... nah I prefer to sleep at night..

Truth is every one of those files sounds good.. Someone could get a great verb sound from that plugin for sure. Well i'm basing my opinion on Warps wonderful work with X-Verb.
I might get killed for saying this but I'm in the process of trading my Lex m300 & PCM 70 do to X-verb.
Not crazy. I sold my PCM70 to get the Lex Native bundle. Its finally happening!
Old 30th December 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

After some closer listening, it seems to me that it may very well be B, not C. I think there is a tonal characteristic that neither of the others have. The "whistling" is more pronounced. Especially in the last 10 seconds, the sound seems more defined in it than the others, less "deteriorated".

A really tough test, I'm not sure at all. As for the differences in the attack, those are the last thing I'd base my guess on. Very different in all 4.
Edit: OK, there's also some different stereo thing going on. I'm putting my money on B. $5, bring it on.

Here's the dry sample by the way. Thanks to the EMpTy 250 reverb developer, it's proven very useful for my reverb tweaking .
Attached Files

snare.wav (110.3 KB, 213 views)

Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

i doubt C is the plugin, it would be too obvious even if it sound great , i m thinking it s D , sound a bit more bright or resonant with less depth maybe and stereo spread is different

Last edited by Fred_Abstract; 30th December 2009 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: edited after more listening
Old 30th December 2009

Wow!
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

C sounds more like a knockoff of the PCM native reverb samples posted than the 480.

If this reverb is $299 then OK. If it's $1299 I would have to hear something more convincing. I am more concerned with the early segments of a reverb than some 10 second tail, and C was the weakest of the whole lot.
Old 30th December 2009
My guess is A is the mystery plug.

C has a weird predelay which is different on each side, so it sounds like its moving right to left and back very quickly.
Old 30th December 2009
Gear Maniac

My impression of listening to the samples on my headphones

A: Something in the early reflections gives a click sound that gets in the way of the snare hit and the reverb tail is narrower, some noise.

B: My favourite early reflections envelopes without confusing, more subdued tail, some noise. Least effected sound.

C: Early reflections are bright and non-descript, and there is there is wobble into the tail which is unpleasant and a crank, crank further in the tail, no noise (I hope this isn't the plug and simply a poorly tweaked 480L)

D: Something in the early reflections overpowers the snare attack (similar to A but not as much) ,the reverb tail is the widest, and has the most noise. Overall this has the 'biggest' sound.

Overall I like the early reflections of B with the overall bigness and tail of D (of course choice would depend on the song context).

Given that developer is trying to make an impact, I would say D is the plug because it has the biggest sound.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

I think I retract my poll vote......Im going with D.....
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
C sounds more like a knockoff of the PCM native reverb samples posted than the 480.

If this reverb is $299 then OK. If it's $1299 I would have to hear something more convincing. I am more concerned with the early segments of a reverb than some 10 second tail, and C was the weakest of the whole lot.
As people with the Lexicon PCM native bundle have discovered : C is NOT from the LX480 plugin, but from the Random Hall from the Lexicon PCM Native bundle.

It would have been too obvious if the LX480 was C - wouldn't it?
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp69 View Post
As people with the Lexicon PCM native bundle have discovered : C is NOT from the LX480 plugin, but from the Random Hall from the Lexicon PCM Native bundle.

It would have been too obvious if the LX480 was C - wouldn't it?
You sly dog! Now I'm really impressed.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Ahh I was under the impression 3 files where from a hardware 480L & 1 was the Plugin.

So it's 3 different lexicons & one LX480 plugin.

Interesting.

Well it's disappointing to see how the lexicon bundle turned out. The response of c was dramatically different from the others.
Curious to see what my 2nd guess of d. turns out to be.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ahh I was under the impression 3 files where from a hardware 480L & 1 was the Plugin.

So it's 3 different lexicons & one LX480 plugin.
I used the digital I/O on the Lexicon 480L. I might post samples where the analogue emulation is activated on the plugin compared to the analogue I/O on the Lexicon 480L.

NS have stated several times that the PCM96 and the native bundle are not emulations of the old units and they therefor sound different.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used the digital I/O on the Lexicon 480L. I might post samples where the analogue emulation is activated on the plugin compared to the analogue I/O on the Lexicon 480L.

NS have stated several times that the PCM96 and the native bundle are not emulations of the old units and they therefor sound different.
Wow, this gets more and more interesting.
Old 30th December 2009
Quote:
I used the digital I/O on the Lexicon 480L.
You know listening to A this exact thought came to mind.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Getting tricky I see. =)

Speaking of 480L via digital outputs. We have 2 480's at work. One of our 480's D/A crapped out last month. I found a dusty 1u Lexicon digital format converter (forgot the model #) the one with the 480 9pin digital input to XLR aes output. It worked right of the bat. I was amazed. It defaulted to the correct clocking setup & just worked. It's fun to a/b the analog & digital output differences. Those old grainy ass d/a's are a big factor.
Old 30th December 2009
Quote:

Those old grainy ass d/a's are a big factor.
You hear the same thing on the R-880. Its a different sounding beast in analog and digital.
Old 30th December 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

A final "analysis": it's not C (as Warp69 confirmed) and it's not A. It's either B or D. If I had access to a 480L or the plugin then I'd know for sure which is which. D (like A) has noise added on top of it. I can't say I like one better than the other, but both are great.
Anyway, now we need short reverb examples .
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search