The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relab LX480 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Tony!!!

That light you see out your window is from the torches of the villagers marching towards your castle.

I hope those new doors you installed this summer will hold! stike

Before you pushoff in that limo for the weekend you should really consider (at the very least) posting a note on the door!

Edit: Strike that! It looks as though your perimeter is sealed off. Unless you want your Bentley rolled, you need to speak to the crowd.

Come on Tony, you owe them everything. They made you what you are today, for god's sake man, the flaming arrows appear to have broken through the windows. Only you can save yourself now.

-Casey
Old 12th December 2009
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
It looks as though your perimeter is sealed off. Unless you want your Bentley rolled, you need to speak to the crowd.
To the hydrofoil! Quickly!
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The M7 already does that. Why reinvent the wheel? tutt

- Casey
hi, but you could also port the wheel, or a part of it ...
yes, you said it before, no plug-in, but I'm hoping for a revision of this statement.

thumbsup

cheers!
bernd
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
these threads do get rather annoying. Im pretty interested in this plugin but I hate this bull**** tease. I'd rather not know about it until there is some real hard info. Its tiresome to be compelled to keep checking a thread and find it is more 'nothing' posts...
And thats not a plug at Sonya - more that if a distributor is leaking info they should attempt to do it with reasonable lead time of the product going to market or at the very least some useful info.

Well there is the consolation that its not gonna turn out to be an iPhone App...OR WILL IT?!
I agree. I hope all the hype is worth the new emulation ...
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tony!!!

That light you see out your window is from the torches of the villagers marching towards your castle.

Before you pushoff in that limo for the weekend you should really consider (at the very least) posting a note on the door!

Edit: Strike that! It looks as though your perimeter is sealed off. Unless you want your Bentley rolled, you need to speak to the crowd.

Come on Tony, you owe them everything. They made you what you are today, for god's sake man, the flaming arrows appear to have broken through the windows. Only you can save yourself now.

-Casey
So you think we're a bunch of peasant rabble, right?
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ssa View Post
So you think we're a bunch of peasant rabble, right?
Give me a break!

Are you really going to try and tell me you don't enjoy marching with a torch and rolling Bentley's?

(if so, then I apologize for the analogy )

-Casey
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Give me a break!

Are you really going to try and tell me you don't enjoy marching with a torch and rolling Bentley's?

(if so, then I apologize for the analogy )

-Casey
Hmm.. maybe, you got me there.
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
these threads do get rather annoying. Im pretty interested in this plugin but I hate this bull**** tease. I'd rather not know about it until there is some real hard info. Its tiresome to be compelled to keep checking a thread and find it is more 'nothing' posts...
And thats not a plug at Sonya - more that if a distributor is leaking info they should attempt to do it with reasonable lead time of the product going to market or at the very least some useful info.

Well there is the consolation that its not gonna turn out to be an iPhone App...OR WILL IT?!
The plugin obviously isn't ready. This is a pre-announcement.

Why, uhm, would they pre-announce like this? Might there be some other new reverb plugin to consider buying at the moment?
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post

Why, uhm, would they pre-announce like this? Might there be some other new reverb plugin to consider buying at the moment?
Well TC have done the same thing for Powercore users, by implying they will release VSS4 for Powercore.

That's the audio scene for you, try to grab the cash before your competitor does even if you haven't got anything to actually sell!

Personally I find the mind games "some people" play around here more fascinating to watch. People very subtly defend and push their own products, by seeding every thread even remotely relevant to their product, through the guise of "contributing to the thread" .... it's quite amusing actually, almost desperate!

But hey, if I had something to flog, I'd do it too

TMY
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears View Post
Well TC have done the same thing for Powercore users, by implying they will release VSS4 for Powercore.

That's the audio scene for you, try to grab the cash before your competitor does even if you haven't got anything to actually sell!

Personally I find the mind games "some people" play around here more fascinating to watch. People very subtly defend and push their own products, by seeding every thread even remotely relevant to their product, through the guise of "contributing to the thread" .... it's quite amusing actually, almost desperate!

But hey, if I had something to flog, I'd do it too

TMY
I couldn't agree more TMY
Old 12th December 2009
Quote:
Tony!!!

-Casey

ha ha brilliant! Except for the continuity error of the limo in medieval times...more like 'gilded carriage'...

And it does look like a revolt in this shire as after all the toiling and sweat of the peasants and their thirst for discount loots and mandolins....now the merry song has stopped in favour of the murderous rage of the angry mob!

Burn Him! Burn Him! Burn Him! Burn Him!

And who is this upstart peasant leading the charge? Only the dis-inherited son of the previous ruler - "You killed my Father - now prepare to die!"

Old 12th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post

I didnt notice but of course - its so obviously cynical especially when its posted opposite a Lexicon PCM advert.... Unfortunately then we the consumers get caught up in the squabble for market share.
But really I wouldnt mind so much if I had a price and release date.

In all fairness I understand that potentially Tony has done a few people a favour in that if it is in the same ball park as the Lexicon bundle he may have saved them a fair whack of money from having to purchase the PCM by posting this teaser...I however was never going to purchase the Lexicon bundle as it is over my budget. So for the record I still stand with the mob but I am at least an educated peasant.

Last edited by SWAN808; 12th December 2009 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: In all fairness
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
But as far as I've seen TC hasn't "implied" that VSS4 has come out, just that commonly requested plugins will finally be released.

I am also hopping to see VSS4 for powercore, hopefully with some kind of discount for powercore 6000 owners. That would suit me quite well

Either way, I am waiting until this mystery plugin, the lexicon demo and whatever TC is coming up with to be released so I can compare them and make a decision.
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Hey Nuno I grabbed a 6000 in the sale too - great isn't it!

Quote:
But as far as I've seen TC hasn't "implied" that VSS4 has come out, just that commonly requested plugins will finally be released.
I think that's what I said heh

Best
TMY
Old 12th December 2009

Quote:
Tony!!!

-Casey
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, it certainly has become obvious. The disguise has melted.
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Oh, come on... a lot of good information has come forward in these reverb threads... a lot of crap and some fun. I'd say, all in all, it's well above average for monkeys with computers (and souls, depending on your beliefs, or lack thereof). This is how it began:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
2009 turned out to be a pretty reverberant year.

And it's getting crazier.

Check out the upper right hand corner.

Yup.

- c
Maybe Tony put the teaser up there to start something like this... so what? I really doubt the level of conspiracy some seem to suggest, and remember, hype can backfire.

Personally, after reading most of most of the reverb threads from the last year or so, I know a whole heck of a lot more than I did to start with. If nothing more, I have a clearer picture of who some of the players are.

added: my twenty-six-hundredth post... announced in honor of my favorite analog!

(I have 3 and various emulations)
Old 12th December 2009
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
added: my twenty-six-hundredth post... announced in honor of my favorite analog!

(I have 3 and various emulations)
I love the ARP2600. My favorite synthesis experience was when I borrowed a gray-faced one for the weekend. ARP may have become more honest when they replaced the Moog clone 4012 filter with the 4075, but the sound suffered. That gray faced ARP2600 GROWLED.

As far as the context of a few posts above: C'mon. I write reverberation algorithms. So does Casey. Same with Warp69 and Nobody Special. Do you know why we are talking about reverbs in this thread, and the Lexicon PCM thread, and other threads in this section? Because we live and breathe reverbs. This is where people are talking about reverbs. That's why we're here.

Do you want to know how interested people are in reverbs outside of this space? Not much. You should see people's eyes glaze over when I try to describe what I do to, say, the parents on the playground at my kid's school. My long suffering wife has heard enough about allpasses and feedback delay networks to last her a lifetime (she just confirmed this, reading over my shoulder).

People that write reverbs will refer to their own work in forum posts. This is natural. We know our own algorithms better than any of the others. That said, Casey knows a lot about what the internals of this new plugin will look like, because he worked at Lexicon and ported the 480L plugins. Nobody Special knows the Lexicon algorithms, because he has written most of them since the mid 1990's. Warp69 is proving to be a master of emulating the good qualities of the classic reverb units, and undoubtedly knows as much of the algorithm history as anyone out there. I know a fair amount about these reverb algorithms as well, and a few others can say the same (look to the Reverb Subculture thread for the likely suspects). Most of us talk to each other via private messages, email, and the like. It's a pretty small world.

The participation of multiple manufacturers in these threads can be viewed in many ways. If you choose to view it from the most Machiavellian perspective, then what does this say about the non-manufacturer participants? This is a 10 page thread about a product that hasn't been OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED. Are we all chumps for doing this? Are we all unwitting participants (or manipulators) of viral marketing? To me, this is an unduly cynical view of what is a very complicated reality. The truth is probably much closer to obsession than exploitative capitalism.

I think that forums like this can be a valuable resource for everybody concerned. You have audio engineers that really want their needs met. You have algorithm developers who want to meet those needs. And you have a whole bunch of geeks, in the best sense of the word, that can't help but talk about the things they are interested in. I LOVE reverb designs, and the hidden history of these algorithms. I love knowing what people like in reverbs, as it absolutely relates to what I do for a living. I love talking to people that are interested in this stuff. It would physically pain me to be unable to talk about this stuff somewhere.

Let's face it: This isn't a big money enterprise. Attributing ulterior motives to people ignores that fact that the brainpower needed to develop these things could undoubtedly be put towards far greater riches in other fields. The people that do this, do it out of love, or obsession, or whatever you want to call it.

Just my $2.
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Casey knows a lot about what the internals of this new plugin will look like, because he worked at Lexicon and ported the 480L plugins.
For the record, NS has said that he never used that work in his design of the PCM96 (and by extension the PCM plugin).

-Casey
Old 12th December 2009
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
For the record, NS has said that he never used that work in his design of the PCM96 (and by extension the PCM plugin).
Duly noted. Plus, I should have said "480L ALGORITHMS," not plugins.
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Let's face it: This isn't a big money enterprise. Attributing ulterior motives to people ignores that fact that the brainpower needed to develop these things could undoubtedly be put towards far greater riches in other fields. The people that do this, do it out of love, or obsession, or whatever you want to call it.
+1 thumbsup
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

I find the threads is which the manufactures chime in, to be the most interesting reads.
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Give me a break!

Hey now...
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

The enemy of my enemy is my friend!
Old 12th December 2009
I really enjoy the presence of these reverb gurus here. Reverb is such a fascinating science - it seems to me like the pinnacle of digital processing. I cant see any problem with it at all so long as there is no silly and blatantly overt promotion.

Ive actually been privy to this in my field of healthcare but its quite unfortunate how when people have a passion and make it their business - suddenly in the greater public eye they turn from sympathiser to a potentially subversive businessman. Tough line to walk but Casey NS and Sean are great value from what Ive seen.
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

The point was that some people were actually interested in learning more about this so-called mystery plug in but all we come in to find 10 pages long is all kinds of debates about OTHER reverbs.

I guess that's the nature of a forum obviously, we're just really anxious to get some actual info.
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbackdoor View Post
The point was that some people were actually interested in learning more about this so-called mystery plug in but all we come in to find 10 pages long is all kinds of debates about OTHER reverbs.

I guess that's the nature of a forum obviously, we're just really anxious to get some actual info.
There's definitely no 'so-called' about it... it's a mystery.

Seems to me these leaks only happen to stall possible purchases of other manufacturers products. It is pretty obvious when you consider everyone knew the Lex plug's were coming so TC releases a 'free' native reverb plug-in and Relab 'almost' announce a Mystery 480 clone... all 'almost' available at the same time.
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Funny, cause the longer the mystery is prolonged, the less I care about the product. Go figure!
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

There are some new plugs that are available
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froombosch View Post
There are some plugs that are availble
Subtle!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search