The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relab LX480 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 9th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRant View Post
Behringer finally did it! They "cloned" a Studer A827!!! Brand new 24 track tape machine for $199!!!
That's more than I would pay for one if I could not sell it and buy something of use.
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
Strange, it's the time of reverb plugs, but we don't know much about the Relab one and there is still no demo of the Lexicon one ...
Maybe it's time for Casey to release the Bricasti M8 1.0 plug lightning fast heh
And what would you want the M8 plugin to do? heh

Maybe best to wait for Relab!

-Casey
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

I believe a couple of people here have heard/tried betas of both Relab & Lex plug's. Can one of you offer an opinion as to the quality & functional differences and make a recommendation?
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ssa View Post
I believe a couple of people here have heard/tried betas of both Relab & Lex plug's. Can one of you offer an opinion as to the quality & functional differences and make a recommendation?
We'll need to know the Relab price first.
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is a relab 480 plugin vs PCM96 perspective. I have not heard the PCM96 plugin.

Sonically, I think it comes down to the age old argument; 480 vs 960. The money algs of the pcm96 are very much in line with the 960 sound (ie. good, more advanced.) Folks looking for a splashier sound will be drawn to the Relab 480.

Functionally, the 480 (and hence the Relab version) has always been much more intuitive. Not just in the parameters that are available, but more importantly being able to hear the changes made to them.

The PCM96 chambers are excellent. This is no surprise given that NS developed these for the 960. The quality shines through, and I know he has always had great pride and sense of ownership of this work. If the money can be justified for this plug, then these are worth the price of admission.

IMO the PCM96 emulations of the older reverbs and the new room alg would benefit if more time and research were spent in this area. I am sure some folks will find a use for them, as with all things "it's all good".

The plates in both are very good. PCM96 cleaner, Relab more obvious in a mix. Both are well done.

The PCM96 masks the chorusing in the primary algorithms better than the Relab algs which makes the PCM96 more useful in many cases IMO.

Neither set does anything to bring back the 224 which is a shame.

-Casey
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post

"This is a relab 480 vs PCM96 perspective. I have not heard the plugin."

"The plates in both are very good. PCM96 cleaner, Relab more obvious in a mix. Both are well done."

-Casey
Thanks for the considered reply Casey but I am a little confused. In your initial statement you say you haven't heard the Relab plug-in and later in the post you talk about how the Relab algo's sit in the mix. Are you really meaning to say 480 where you mentioned the Relab algo's?
Old 10th December 2009
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
The PCM96 masks the chorusing in the primary algorithms better than the Relab algs which makes them more useful in many cases IMO.
The above statement is a bit confusing. Do you feel that the PCM96 is more useful due to less chorusing, or that the Relab algs are more useful due to more chorusing?
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the considered reply Casey but I am a little confused. In your initial statement you say you haven't heard the Relab plug-in and later in the post you talk about how the Relab algo's sit in the mix. Are you really meaning to say 480 where you mentioned the Relab algo's?
I think he means he has not tryed the new Lexicon plugin, just the PCM96 it's based on.
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
The above statement is a bit confusing. Do you feel that the PCM96 is more useful due to less chorusing, or that the Relab algs are more useful due to more chorusing?
Thanks for pointing out this possible misunderstanding!

Restated;

The PCM96 masks the chorusing in the primary algorithms better, which makes them more useful in many cases IMO.

-Casey
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
In your initial statement you say you haven't heard the Relab plug-in and later in the post you talk about how the Relab algo's sit in the mix. Are you really meaning to say 480 where you mentioned the Relab algo's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRant View Post
I think he means he has not tryed the new Lexicon plugin, just the PCM96 it's based on.
Yes this is confusing.

I have not heard the Lexicon Plugin, only the PCM96 (and used the 960 for years). I have heard (and refer to) the Relab Plugin. Sorry for the confusion!

-Casey
Old 10th December 2009
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out this possible misunderstanding!

Restated;

The PCM96 masks the chorusing in the primary algorithms better, which makes them more useful in many cases IMO.

-Casey
Thanks for the clarification, Casey! I never have understood predicates and the like.

Chorusing in reverbs is tricky. I have always tried to get the artifacts from chorusing that I consider desirable (i.e. the thickening of the perceived modal density, less metallic artifacts), without making the results sound like a chorus box. Not saying that I've succeeded, but this has been my goal. On the other hand, the EMT250 sounds chorused as all get out, and people love it. So some of my future work might have more chorusing earlier in the reverb response.

Anyway, back to Warp69's upcoming work. I hope there is a demo!
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes this is confusing.

I have not heard the Lexicon Plugin, only the PCM96 (and used the 960 for years). I have heard (and refer to) the Relab Plugin. Sorry for the confusion!

-Casey
Cheers...
Are you also saying that a PCM96 is (generally) better for most things even though you don't feel it does the vintage/classic stuff as well as it could?

How do you rate the PCM96 reverbs as to X-Verb & VSS3 on powercore?

I know they're different, but I'd be interested to know your thoughts anyway, if you wouldn't mind?
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cheers...
Are you also saying that a PCM96 is (generally) better for most things even though you don't feel it does the vintage/classic stuff as well as it could?

How do you rate the PCM96 reverbs as to X-Verb & VSS3 on powercore?

I know they're different, but I'd be interested to know your thoughts anyway, if you wouldn't mind?
Well of course I think you should buy an M7 and never have to worry about reverb again. But if the budget screams no.....

As I said, if you look at the money algs in both of these products, it really is the same as the 480 vs 960 argument. There never has been an answer to this.

People always talk about the classic sounds of Lexicon and this is clearly the 480 (or the 224 R.I.P.) I am already on record regarding how the Relab plugin compares to the 480.

I had used a 960 for years. I still believe that it stomps the TC6000 (4000). I felt it was the best reverb for the work I was doing at the time. Although I kept a pair of TC2000s just for the record.

I fell in love with the 480 when I was asked to port the 480 algs to a new DSP platform while I was at Lex. I began to appreciate the sound beyond the splashy first impression. I began to notice a palpable thickness to the sound that reminded me of biting my brothers arm as a child. The 960 never gave me that.

So, I became a convert. It was shortly after that that I left to pursue my own goals, but my opinion is still the same.

So ya, I would prefer the Relab, but would be perfectly happy with the PCM96 if I hadn't already had a bite of the apple! Your experiences have and will continue to vary from my own.

-Casey
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

A sincere thanks for your honesty and understanding. I will wait for both products and demo before jumping in.

Do you have any experience with X-Verb... you may have already answered that though, I have been running around all day.

Thanks again thumbsup
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

I greatly admire you Cassey, you are master of more than just reverb!

TMY
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well of course I think you should buy an M7 and never have to worry about reverb again.
-Casey
That's what I did.
Old 10th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
That's what I did.
yeah - but you only get one stereo channel. For spoilt DAW users that is a tough one to swallow...
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

The question I really would like Casey to answer is when is V2 going to be fitted into my M7?
Old 10th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well of course I think you should buy an M7 and never have to worry about reverb again. But if the budget screams no.....

As I said, if you look at the money algs in both of these products, it really is the same as the 480 vs 960 argument. There never has been an answer to this.

People always talk about the classic sounds of Lexicon and this is clearly the 480 (or the 224 R.I.P.) I am already on record regarding how the Relab plugin compares to the 480.

I had used a 960 for years. I still believe that it stomps the TC6000 (4000). I felt it was the best reverb for the work I was doing at the time. Although I kept a pair of TC2000s just for the record.

I fell in love with the 480 when I was asked to port the 480 algs to a new DSP platform while I was at Lex. I began to appreciate the sound beyond the splashy first impression. I began to notice a palpable thickness to the sound that reminded me of biting my brothers arm as a child. The 960 never gave me that.

So, I became a convert. It was shortly after that that I left to pursue my own goals, but my opinion is still the same.

So ya, I would prefer the Relab, but would be perfectly happy with the PCM96 if I hadn't already had a bite of the apple! Your experiences have and will continue to vary from my own.

-Casey
Boy was that a good tight rope or what. Lol.....Glad you were honest......
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
yeah - but you only get one stereo channel. For spoilt DAW users that is a tough one to swallow...
Thats what the M7M and the remote are for! heh
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

I hope this is an improvement over Altiverb version.
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
And what would you want the M8 plugin to do? heh
Only the best small rooms and ambiences, ever! Only that. Thanks. -bernd
Old 11th December 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
I hope this is an improvement over Altiverb version.
Better than the 480 IR's in Altiverb? Yes, it is.
Old 11th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Better than the 480 IR's in Altiverb? Yes, it is.
whens the next update?
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowudders View Post
Only the best small rooms and ambiences, ever! Only that. Thanks. -bernd
The M7 already does that. Why reinvent the wheel? tutt

- Casey
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

so when is this "Mystery plug-in" going to be available... and what is the street price?
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
so when is this "Mystery plug-in" going to be available... and what is the street price?
Yeah!! 10 pages and 50 % of the most important info isn't there still?

Last edited by sbackdoor; 11th December 2009 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbackdoor View Post
Yeah!! 10 pages and 50 % of the most important info isn't there still?
Lol....Thats what I'm saying.....
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Right?
Thread started 3 weeks ago, I was pretty excited to hear about this. Then it turns into this typical GS hypethread.

All I see coming here is:
Bricasti - it's amazing - they nailed it

Where I wanna read:
Demo? - when? - how much?

In that order.
Old 12th December 2009
these threads do get rather annoying. Im pretty interested in this plugin but I hate this bull**** tease. I'd rather not know about it until there is some real hard info. Its tiresome to be compelled to keep checking a thread and find it is more 'nothing' posts...
And thats not a plug at Sonya - more that if a distributor is leaking info they should attempt to do it with reasonable lead time of the product going to market or at the very least some useful info.

Well there is the consolation that its not gonna turn out to be an iPhone App...OR WILL IT?!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search