The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is your favorite feature in Cubendo?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

What is your favorite feature in Cubendo?

Thought this might be interesting to see what people say. i am sure you will come up with some features i didn't even know about! i am getting cubase 5 in about a week. SOOO EXCITED!

anyways i am excited about the quick controls the most. what is your favorite feature of cubendo that is exclusive to cubendo?
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

batch export is a Godsend! so easy to create stems, individual tracks, mono/stereo etc... you can transfer your project to any other DAW in a snap! track in Cubase/Nuendo, mix in Protools? Batch processing and voila!

some included plugins are really good. even the amp sim is useful. transient shaper is great.

routing anything to anywhere, tracks, FX, instruments... with grayed out option that would create a feedback loop. awesome! you can even record outputs and tracks onto new ones to create non-destructive stems.

I find it extremly flexible and very intuitive overall.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

In no set order (and still using SX 2.2 here):

1. Off-line processing and the very intelligent approach to non-destructive editing in general.

2. Midi inserts, especially the 'Transformer'.

3. The way multi-out instruments are incorporated, routing is selected, and any other basic feature that makes you so happy you're not using logic (ever read through a Logic thread with someone explaining how you have to do these things in that program? JeeeeSUS..!)

4. Grab-handles for event fades and gain (take that for granted but can you imagine not being able to do it?!!)

5. Double Delay!!

There is one overall winner though feature-wise, and that is of course the Logical Editor. It just craps all over anything else out there, and is one of the main reasons I find it really hard to jump the steinberg ship even though I would often like to.

I would really like to have hardware inserts, play-order, free routing and other goodies that come with C5, but I feel like I would rather stay with sx2 until something like studio one matures, all they need to do is get the midi side expanded a bit (and actually start selling it in europe might help!!)
HELLO PRESONUS!!!!! Can you hear me!!!!!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

The tool palette.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

tool palette vs Pro Tools multifunction. what do you think is faster?
Old 19th November 2009
LQM
Lives for gear

Variaudio, Tempo track and time meter now viewable in arrangement view, Groove Agent One and beat designer, Reverence, new automation panel (from cubase 5) plus some other features from C4 such as vst3 plugins and easy sidechaining, flexible routing, etc.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

The little X in the top right corner. Though I guess that isn't exclusive, hmmm.

I like the random little quirks during editing that make things take longer than they should.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Hey FS,

It's not the first time I read someone stating how awesome the Logical Editor is. Will you explain to me a cool example of how you find it so useful?

Not challenging you or anything, just trying to understand the feature.

I do everything now through a custom JM Lemur UI I made plus some other controllers and key sets, but maybe I am missing something?

Still on 4.5 here though.

Sure. The reason it's so powerful is that you can use it in the same way that you might create a macro for key commands, and you can do it for multiple midi events across multiple tracks.

So you could take a specific note or group of notes, within or outside a specific time range, change their pitch/length/position/velocity/any parameter to an absolute value or by a relative amount, apply those changes in situ or extract them to a new midi track etc.

The boolean commands make it extremely flexible. So it just makes global editing and trying out new ideas so much quicker.

There are loads of practical applications, some banal and some intricate, every song/arrangement is going to provide new situations in terms of what you might want to/need to edit, and there will be common things you may do in many projects.

Actual examples could be things like adding levels of complexity to percussion arrangements.
Transforming notes from one instrument to another is very common, but taking all notes not just from a certain pitch, but that are a certain length, or in certain positions within a bar, and then taking those onto a new track whilst also shunting them forward or back by a certain amount, adding or subtracting velocity independently to on and off-beat notes, and then slowing them down to half time, and being able to do that for only certain bars within the whole arrangement, all at the same time, without having to touch the mouse, that's something else.

It's great for making very specific changes across large data sets that would otherwise take forever, and not just for notes, but for controller data too.

A simple real-life example is one of the tracks I'm working on now, I have some complex piano parts, but I like the spanish guitar in the free yellow tools sampler I just installed.
I wanted to create a syncopation between piano and guitar, but only from certain notes within chords, and only at specific points throughout the song. I was able to do those things far, far quicker than if I hadn't had the logical editor, and it's not possible to do those things with key commands..

I see it as a kind of advanced modulation matrix, where countless different paramaters can be made to trigger and affect or completely change other parameters, but it still goes much deeper than that.

I know I'm only scratching the surface of it but still, I just dread the thought of not having it there to experiment with!
Old 20th November 2009
LX3
Lives for gear

Nuendo's automation. As far as I'm aware, only PTHD has a comparable feature set.

There are a number of things I'm not so keen on in Nuendo (mostly interface oddities), but the automation alone completely makes up for them.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Control Room.

Never will multiple headphone mix setup be a pain again.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I like this one best: Command+Q
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Love Control Room and I find the wave editing a breeze. Now I've sussed the Quick Controls and how they can be mapped to a hardware controller - wow! What a killer feature!

Now I wish there were 16 assignable Quick Controls...

I use a few alternative DAWs (mainly PT), but I would take Cubase over any of them, regardless of price.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

controlroom + "shift-G"
Old 20th November 2009
Here for the gear

arranger track <-- i feel like no one talks about this

variaudio

beat designer (needs work though)
Old 20th November 2009
LSP
Lives for gear
cubase 4 question/feature ?

Sorry to kind of highjack this thread. But if this can be done, it would be yet another positive feature set in Cubase.

I was hired to mix a clients pre recorded tracks. I imported them all into Cubase 4 and began mixing. Now, I've decided to try and pull in some loops to add to his drums.

My problem is, since a tempo wasn't assigned to the project, the loops have nothing to "lock" to. I've only used the audio warp functions once before, so I still have a lot to learn there.

Is there a way to assign a tempo to the project, so the existing tracks can lock to it, and subseqently the loops as well?
Old 20th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP View Post
Sorry to kind of highjack this thread. But if this can be done, it would be yet another positive feature set in Cubase.
Pleas start a NEW THREAD as this will get lost in this thread and YES your jacking the thread which is NOT cool. If guys see this question your asking in the thread title they may be more inclined to jump on it

Also, check at Cubase.net .:::. Index and Cubase and Nuendo User Forums | Cubendo.com. The latter will get you answers more quickly
Old 20th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoveneverslackin View Post

My favorite feature to try out diff things
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Hmm..lots to choose from...but here's a few

1. Event gain/fade handles - a huge timesaver (especially on larger projects), a basic feature but it's the best on any DAW

2. Event envelopes - you want to modify the internal dynamics of any sound source or event (vox track / snare hits during a drumfill / car passing by during a scene), just draw the volume curve straight to the event.

(I think not many people even realize how useful this really is; it helps keep the automation tracks tidy and it'll ALWAYS follow the event, no matter how much you suck at changing the prefs )

3. Lanes view. Once you learn to work with it, you'll comp takes faster than you can say "PT is the best for editing"...edit, delete overlaps, move on.

4. The Mediabay - those who do not understand its power probably do not have tens of thousands of WAVs lying on their hard drives. The search is lightning fast, the filter options are great -and it's also for post-production...

5. Variaudio

6. Control Room

7. Quick controls - how did I ever manage to live without these...Buy some knobs, click MIDI learn, maybe even make a template, and enjoy controlling the most important parameters on any track, on any plug-in, hassle-free and fast.

8. Project logical editor - seems like an invaluable tool...I'm still learning it, but it has already substantially improved my multitrack editing workflow.

etc,etc...
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear
I like that I can pretty much mix an entire project with the stock plugins. Including tuning, transient design..etc
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
I like that I can pretty much mix an entire project with the stock plugins. Including tuning, transient design..etc
Hmm transient design sounds interesting...what is the actual name of the plugin?

I use mostly Waves plug-ins, guess it's time to try out the new stock plugs..
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

EnvelopeShaper

Matti
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Midi? Logical Editor / Input Transformer / Transformer Plugin (all the same things really). The midi plug-in to end all midi plugins. The drum editor takes the silver medal.

Audio? Hmm.... so much to choose from... pick one already willya ... VariAudio. Perfect for tuning vocals when you need to do that. The CR mixer would be in second place.
Old 21st November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX3 View Post
Nuendo's automation. As far as I'm aware, only PTHD has a comparable feature set.

There are a number of things I'm not so keen on in Nuendo (mostly interface oddities), but the automation alone completely makes up for them.
Automation is good - but still lagging behind PT... Trim and VCA features please!!
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoveneverslackin View Post

variaudio

beat designer (needs work though)
this is true. i havent used the arranger track yet. i use folders instead so many times i will have my chorus in one folder verse in another etc. then i just copy using the folder tracks. i think the arranger track might be better tho...
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

The control room is a great feature I love the listen buss
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Automation is good - but still lagging behind PT... Trim and VCA features please!!
They do have Trim Automation. Pretty damn handy.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

I love -P-

Also -g- -h- and -j- gets a lot of lovin......
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

p might be one of the coolest quik keys and i wish other daws would do something similar.but i don't get j as being that cool?
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
p might be one of the coolest quik keys and i wish other daws would do something similar.but i don't get j as being that cool?

I agree, p is good.

As for j...You'll get it..once you start snapping to events thumbsup
Old 21st November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealRoach View Post
They do have Trim Automation. Pretty damn handy.
very basic compared to PT and Sadie though ..... trimming VCAs for example - or by groups. My fave Nuendo thing is the "spotting multiple regions to original timecode".... PT could do with that time saver!! Have to do 5000 recorded edits from FX by hand at the moment!! - well actually I do it in Nuendo then conform across.....
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear