The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PT 8 Mixing latency problems
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

PT 8 Mixing latency problems

Alright, im running pro tools 8 M-powered on pc trying to mix an album and at seemingly random times ill try and playback and it will go into a slowmotion distorted crash... this also sometimes happens when bouncing
my computer = quad core Q9550 @ 2.83Ghz 2.84ghz ,3.46GB of ram with a terabyte HD

ive tried running the lowest buffer settings, samples rates, made sure all elastic properties were off and the same thing happens.. the computer has no internet or anti virus running to bog it down, not to many plug ins running either

any advice??
thanks
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

For playback you should use a high buffer setting. That may be helpful.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

i tried that also didnt seem to make a difference
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

reduce the rtas processors by one in the playback engine dialog.

reduce your memory to less than 2,8GB and defragment your harddrive(s), watch out for the newest motherboard-bios. check for faulty memory. work with the latest pro tools updates and latest plugin-versions.

leave buffer and things at standard-position. your system is fast enough, it doesn´t need tweaks.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
reduce the rtas processors by one in the playback engine dialog.

reduce your memory to less than 2,8GB and defragment your harddrive(s), watch out for the newest motherboard-bios. check for faulty memory. work with the latest pro tools updates and latest plugin-versions.

leave buffer and things at standard-position. your system is fast enough, it doesn´t need tweaks.

thank you, much appreciated!
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Head

-ok i got all the driver and softwear updates
-defragged
-reduced the rtas processors to 3 instead of 4

it seems the problem is only happening now on the song with the most amount of tracks and plug-ins.. when it starts to lag it is slightly less distorted and slow but crashes none the less

eddie i'm not sure on how to reduce my memory unless you meant cpu usage in protools or check for faulty memory

and i cant see how this would matter but the session is running 24bit 48khz
thanks again for your help
cheers
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

hey, you say you have a TB hard drive.
is that dedicated for audio or are you trying to record on to the same drive your op and programs are on?
If it is the later, that's your problem.. pro tools must have a dedicated drive for your sessions, and preferably another for your samples/libraries.

We had some luck with a macbook recording to the internal drive for a while, but not very stable and it flat out didn't work once, so we got a proper external and it's much happier

Our big studio pc has several drives and removable back ups!

Scott
Home
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
hey, you say you have a TB hard drive.
is that dedicated for audio or are you trying to record on to the same drive your op and programs are on?
If it is the later, that's your problem.. pro tools must have a dedicated drive for your sessions, and preferably another for your samples/libraries.

We had some luck with a macbook recording to the internal drive for a while, but not very stable and it flat out didn't work once, so we got a proper external and it's much happier

Our big studio pc has several drives and removable back ups!

Scott
Home
well the entire computer is dedicated to audio haha, but yes i am recording to the internal drive. I do have a removeable Lacie Rugged Firewire hard drive but its 250Gb. would that work as a dedicatred drive?
i also have a few older HDs kicking around, would they be useful.?..
sorry i'm not to saavy with computer hardware

thanks
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Head

well i went out and got a 2nd hard drive did some reasearch so the problems should be solved

thanks again for the help!
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Head

well i installed my new hard drive(SATA) got everything setup, moved all my protools files onto it, fired up the the session and 5 minutes in same thing again.... this is getting very frustrating

is there anything i could have missed??
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
reduce your memory to less than 2,8GB
Maybe remove 1 stick of RAM?
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

if this is a new build then what i've found is that 'some' builders do not set up their ram freq and timings properly. this can/will cause a problem in PTLE...and i would assume PTMP would kick up the same kinda errors...which you did not post. here is a link that might help you. sorry don't feel up to typin'...but the info is in this thread hope that helps
Old 7th December 2009
Gear Head

the problem is still here.. could there be an answer out there
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicalCity View Post

it seems the problem is only happening now on the song with the most amount of tracks and plug-ins.. when it starts to lag it is slightly less distorted and slow but crashes none the less
Have you been watching the CPU meter when this happens? How high is it? Is it spiking? What about the HD meter? Are ALL of your plugins updated to the versions required for PT8?

Pro Tools Plug-in & Software Compatibility Grid
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear