The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2.66 i5 iMac vs my old Mac Pro 2.66 Dual Xeon?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

2.66 i5 iMac vs my old Mac Pro 2.66 Dual Xeon?

I have a Mac Pro , the first one that came out - 2x2.66 Dual Core Intel Xeon processor.

Will the new iMac 2.66 i5 perform in the same ballpark as my Mac Pro?
I`m thinking of setting up a mirror setup at home , for mixing and programming in Logic.

Also , I`m curious what other elements come into the equation , like bus speed , cache etc.... Shurely there are more than just processor speed that sets the Mac Pro apart from the iMacs and macbook Pro`s ?

thanks!

Thomas
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

processor wise the new imac is faster, memory wise same.
however the imac has 1 hdd and no ports for expansion.
making it difficult to do any real work.
you have to compare new to new not new to old.

a new mac pro is vastly superior to an imac.

Scott
ADK
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks Scott ,

So you think there will be a big difference in performance between the Mac Pro I have in my studio and one of the new iMac? I just need this machine for programming and mixing. No tracking or need for expanding.

To be more precise - I`m not looking to replace my Mac Pro , I just want a second machine that will be in the same ballpark at least (but hopefully I can get away with something cheaper than the new Mac Pro`s ) .

Thomas
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

it will be faster and as long as you realize the lack of connectivity or expansion it should be just fine as a 2nd system.

Scott
ADK
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

great , thanks!

Thomas
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
processor wise the new imac is faster, memory wise same.
however the imac has 1 hdd and no ports for expansion.
making it difficult to do any real work.
you have to compare new to new not new to old.

a new mac pro is vastly superior to an imac.

Scott
ADK
Have to disagree with this. A lot of 'real' work can be done on an iMac. There are many more ways to expand a system than just HDD's and pci-e slots. Plus the new iMac i7 beats the new 2.66 quad mac pro, and holds its own with the 2.93 in many tests. Not to mention the newest best display apple has. Just over 2K gets a nice package. The extra 200$ for the i7 is REALLY worth it btw. With firewire 800, usb 2.0, conversion kits for the optical drive from ifixit.com (for SSD drives,) there are a bunch of options here.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

ok.. usb drives thats the way to go pro...

""""Plus the new iMac i7 beats the new 2.66 quad mac pro,"""

where do you get this info? a P55 chipset does NOT beat an X58.
even the 2.93 can beat the 920

Benchmarks for Pro Audio! .

870 (2.93) 120 RXC
920 (2.66) 130 RXC
both with HT on.

Scott
ADK
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
ok.. usb drives thats the way to go pro...

""""Plus the new iMac i7 beats the new 2.66 quad mac pro,"""

where do you get this info? a P55 chipset does NOT beat an X58.
even the 2.93 can beat the 920

Benchmarks for Pro Audio! .

870 (2.93) 120 RXC
920 (2.66) 130 RXC
both with HT on.

Scott
ADK
While I respect your benchmark page, it does not necessarily take all real world aspects of over-all DAW performance into account. Also the OP is asking about Mac computers, and much of your info is based on PC stuff which you coincidently sell. While it may not be quite apples to apples (as it were) here is one page of info:
Core i7-Based 27" iMac Benchmarks Show Significant Improvements - Mac Rumors

There is not a lot info available for the new i7 iMacs as far as pro audio benchmarks, yet. I think my main point of contention with your first statements is that your use of the word "real work" when it came to the OP's question. It was condescending and elitist, but hey, to each there own.
@OP: YMMV, go with the iMac
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

"""ok.. usb drives thats the way to go pro..."""

Also, if you're relying on the type of drive you use to define whether you're a pro or not, that begs a much larger issue.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Another thing to consider is that a Mac Pro cools itself much more efficiently than an iMac.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogo View Post
Have to disagree with this. A lot of 'real' work can be done on an iMac. There are many more ways to expand a system than just HDD's and pci-e slots. Plus the new iMac i7 beats the new 2.66 quad mac pro, and holds its own with the 2.93 in many tests. Not to mention the newest best display apple has. Just over 2K gets a nice package. The extra 200$ for the i7 is REALLY worth it btw. With firewire 800, usb 2.0, conversion kits for the optical drive from ifixit.com (for SSD drives,) there are a bunch of options here.
Sure you can do audio on them but they are designed more for PS and creative applications that aren't so disk I/O intensive.
As soon as you use a UAD plugin... you can't live without them. This is where you'll have to sacrifice with an iMac. If all your plugs are native then slap a 128 GB SSD in the optical bay (they are SATA in the new iMacs) and a velociraptor for recording sessions to and your set.
Nice machines really.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
While I respect your benchmark page, it does not necessarily take all real world aspects of over-all DAW performance into account.
your right sorta it does not take into account a new 64bit Samples test. which would show the Mac Pro even stronger again.
the X58 platform (Mac Pro) has a 50% increase in memory bandwidth.
that directly corelates to lower latency, larger samples project.

Quote:
Also the OP is asking about Mac computers, and much of your info is based on PC stuff which you coincidently sell.
actually:
1) i sell both and benchmark both. i wont bother with the pc vs mac thing there is already several threads on it.
2) a Mac is a PC! same hardware other than the slow ram in an Apple.

Quote:
While it may not be quite apples to apples (as it were) here is one page of info:
Core i7-Based 27" iMac Benchmarks Show Significant Improvements - Mac Rumors
UGH! please, talk about not real world...

Quote:
There is not a lot info available for the new i7 iMacs as far as pro audio benchmarks, yet. I think my main point of contention with your first statements is that your use of the word "real work" when it came to the OP's question. It was condescending and elitist, but hey, to each there own.
@OP: YMMV, go with the iMac
elistist absolutely i am all about high performance. the OP ask about the 2, i pointed out the facts about both.

frankly i think Apple missed the boat. if the imac could have 2 internal drives and an express slot it would rock. in fact my wife would have one by now.
i am still tempted to buy her one for Christmas.
the Screen is fabulous.
it has its place but not as a main system in a pro environment.

Scott
ADK
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Your old MacPro is not that old, it's a great machine. Have you looked into buying a second MacPro used? There are plenty of good resellers. I've bought several used Macs for my studio over the years. No regrets.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post
Your old MacPro is not that old, it's a great machine. Have you looked into buying a second MacPro used? There are plenty of good resellers. I've bought several used Macs for my studio over the years. No regrets.
Actually yeah , that thought accured to me. Just a little scary to buy used , but when I think of it - none of the macs I`ve owned over the years have ever fallen apart , so ... Maybe the way to go .

Thomas
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWho View Post
I have a Mac Pro , the first one that came out - 2x2.66 Dual Core Intel Xeon processor.

I`m thinking of setting up a mirror setup at home , for mixing and programming in Logic.

Also , I`m curious what other elements come into the equation , like bus speed , cache etc.... Shurely there are more than just processor speed that sets the Mac Pro apart from the iMacs and macbook Pro`s ?

thanks!

Thomas
Hey have a look at the Geekbench results browser Primate Labs Blog : Mac Benchmarks

The new Imacs are faster.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Well look at at that , I guess I don`t have to worry about the speed anymore. The new iMacs are faster than my old mac Pro.

T
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
While it may not be quite apples to apples (as it were)
I found that joke thoroughly satisfying
Old 7th December 2009
Here for the gear

I am in the same boat as you.

I have an older Mac Pro Dual Core 2.66. and considering upgrading to get the new 27" i7 iMac.

Scotts post about lack of expandability is 100% correct, and this keeps me on the fence from ordering the i7 right now.

Sampletank, NI Soundbanks, Goliath, and all my samples *need*
to be running off somewhere better than a usb drive for best performance.
Its also his job/game to talk about highest performance.

I think its a wait-and-see moment for me. New Mac Pro's that are coming out could be a good bang for buck? Maybe iMac could come out with extra ports? who knows...

Oh heres another comparison/speed chart
mac pro (new) vs i7 imac etc...
iMac Core i7 versus other Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWho View Post

thanks!

Thomas
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Addict

I have mac pro 2.66 first generation 30 " apple monitor with symphony 64 ,also UAD 2 ,I don't think that this machine is going anywhere in near future .I also have macbook pro 2.4 ,old G4 ,(I sold the I mac I had the first generation with flat white screen core 2 duo) .but when it comes to pro work (more hd drives etc.and you need them a lot and they make a difference )I don't think that something like Imac(as main machine in studio) will do the job.even with faster processor (maybe as add on great choice).
Old 8th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by florent View Post
I have mac pro 2.66 first generation 30 " apple monitor with symphony 64 ,also UAD 2 ,I don't think that this machine is going anywhere in near future .I also have macbook pro 2.4 ,old G4 ,(I sold the I mac I had the first generation with flat white screen core 2 duo) .but when it comes to pro work (more hd drives etc.and you need them a lot and they make a difference )I don't think that something like Imac(as main machine in studio) will do the job.even with faster processor (maybe as add on great choice).
I also have the original 2.66 and the new i7 iMac is around 2x as fast...
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear