The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good CD Burning software for Windows XP
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Good CD Burning software for Windows XP

Hi there is there anyone that could help me find some good Cd burning software I can use with a windows computer with XP on it?
GT
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

I like nero.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysentarygary View Post
I like nero.
Ok i will look into. Seems like I tried that years ago and you had to load the songs in backwards. Like song 10 1st and song 1 last. It was awhile ago. Wonder what most people use.
GT
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

imgburn, cdburner xp pro are two free ones.

imgburn is my top choice for data, dvd, iso, and ps2 back ups. i rarely use it for audio, as i have other tools for burning those to cd or dvd. cd burner xp pro was pretty good for audio cd burning, allowing for cd text when i used it some years ago.

another option would be winamp, which is something you should have anyways, imo.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Sony Cd Architect i think is pretty good for red book spec stuff etc....
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ok thanks I will try the free ones along with Nero and CD architect which is what I have been using for years on a windows 98 computer which is finally ready for the pile. I know window 98 is old but I have had good luck with it for years. Now I have a newer computer with xp I will try these on
Thanks again!!
GT.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

I use Nero also. It does put the songs in backwards but all you have to do is rearrange them by dragging them in the window.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

What specifically are looking for in a burning program?

If its nothing fancy... Itunes.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonicBreed View Post
What specifically are looking for in a burning program?

If its nothing fancy... Itunes.
I Just do audio cd,s. I make masters that have to be red book once in a while. Mostly just hand them out to the clients as a work cd. I see Sony has taken over cd architec. My old cd architec won,t run on XP. So after 10 years using the same software I thought I would try a few out.
GT.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn Taylor View Post
I make masters that have to be red book once in a while.
As far as I know, Nero doesn't do Red Book and I doubt the other free ones mentioned do either.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

+1 for imgburn. Slim, powerful, and free.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
As far as I know, Nero doesn't do Red Book and I doubt the other free ones mentioned do either.
cd burner xp pro does
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn Taylor View Post
I Just do audio cd,s. I make masters that have to be red book once in a while. Mostly just hand them out to the clients as a work cd. I see Sony has taken over cd architec. My old cd architec won,t run on XP. So after 10 years using the same software I thought I would try a few out.
GT.
Then you definately need to acquire Sony CD Architect. It costs $99. Perhaps you can find a better deal used or something... but it is worth it! Thru the many years my studio and computers... CD Architect burns the best! Nero and many other ones have produced bad results. I mean stuff that I burnt with Nero, NTI and some of the others back in late 90's, early 2000's are coasters today. Then around 2003/4 I acquired CD Architect. Those discs are still playing just fine today. I am not sure what is in the program, but it burns better than anything I have tried. And I am talking about CD's that will last and not become coasters in a few years....
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

I like Nero.

Simple and easy
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

There is one:

Ashampoo® Burning Studio 9
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Ive got Cakewalk Pyro on my XP machine, works fine
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Isn't the Red Book spec basically inserting 02-second of silence at the begining of the first track? Or am i missing something?
Old 18th November 2009
Deleted 1a30a04
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyp View Post
Sony Cd Architect i think is pretty good for red book spec stuff etc....
I agree, I used to use CD Architect when I ran Windows. Never had a PM CD
kicked out ever.

If its for your own personal consumption, then almost anything reasonable will work .. including
iTunes or WindowsMedia.

But, if you're planning duplication, then I would highly recommend CD Architect. It does all the
Meta Data and virtually guarantees RedBook compliance.

jeff
Old 18th November 2009
With regard to Red Book, pretty sure all the burners will do a basic Red Book CD-DA disk. Now, even though there aren't a lot of features in Red Book, there may well be features that are not fully exploitable in some of the less expensive or free burners. But Red Book is pretty much the basis upon which subsequent extensions were based. There's nothing "more basic" than Red Book.

Now, the version of Nero that I have will do some of the extended formats as well as Red Book. (Though I generally only use it for data burns; on the rare occasions when I still burn an audio CD, I tend to use the CD-Architect that came with Sound Forge 8. I also have DVD-Architect that came with Vegas Studio Platinum [the 'top' consumer tier of Vegas]).
Old 18th November 2009
Deleted 1a30a04
I should also say with CD Architect, you can do all the tricks . like
continuous play (ala American Idiot) and the hidden track stuff.

jeff
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham View Post
I should also say with CD Architect, you can do all the tricks . like
continuous play (ala American Idiot) and the hidden track stuff.

jeff
Not to mention crossfades. And it makes setting levels relatively easy from inside the program, non-destructively. In fact, that was one of the cool things about the 90s version; at a time when non-destructive editing was still a ways away in most DAWs, CD-Arch at least allowed on the fly level changes.

They would have been on their game, though, to have something similar to sister program Sound Forge's Statistics function build into CD-Arch. Having an on-the-fly RMS reading for each track would really help to quickly ball park levels. Then you could just go through by ear and fine tune. (You can load a given track into Sound Forge from CD-Arch but what they really need is a quick RMS stat right in CD-Arch.)
Old 18th November 2009
Deleted 1a30a04
True. Although what I used to do when I did what would be considered
"mastering's bastard child" was to use SoundForge to do the dither
down and make sure the RMS levels were reasonably cohesive, and
then dump the whole lot out to CD Architect (which I believe they
started supporting in version 7)?

Jeff "champion of run-on sentences"
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear