The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSD boot drive - WARNING !
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

SSD boot drive - WARNING !

I just installed my first SSD drive, (under XP32) and had a few serious problems.

I thought I'd post here in hopes of saving other from the same aggravation:

The basic problem was that in order for the SSD to function 100%, I had to update my BIOS. However, this was not immediately obvious. Using the old BIOS, from Feb 2009, XP32 installed fine, and all updates & installs seemed to be working.

This shite didn't hit the fan until after about 2 hours of work, when I found I couldn't access my audio card. Then soon after, the PC stopped recognizing the boot drive.
------------

I called ASUS and they confirmed that only the latest BIOS was 100% with SSD drives.

So I had to update the BIOS, then start all over with a fresh format & XP install. Plus I had to do the floppy-drive AHCI driver-install thing.
Ughh.

Additionally, I was instructed to set the BIOS "detect SATA drives as" command to "AHCI."

Now everything seems fine.

Hope this helps someone else.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Which ASUS motherboard are you using?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

a lot of 1 st generation SSD drives actually state they should not be run in AHCI mode so check your manufacturer.

MC
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

norbury,

I'm running a 2nd generation Intel, but thanks for the warning. (might help someone else)

If that had been the case with my drive, I'd be sunk, since that's the only way to use it with this mobo. wow ...

-----------------------------

Fishmed: Asus P5Q-EM.

This info wasn't readily available, I had to call tech support, and that guy had to ask a superior. SO, the bottom line is, before you dive in call your mobo manufacturer first, and also check your drive as per Norbury's warning.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear