The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wannabe UAD plugins
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Wannabe UAD plugins

Hi everybody.
I'm thinking of going cold turkey from my UAD2 laptop/MBP setup and going native plugs on a 24" iMac 3 ghz (I'd like the mac pro/UAD2 quad, but it's really expensive!)

Which plugs would you say I'd have to get to fill in the gap from my most used UAD plugs:

USED MUCH:
LA3A
Fairchild comp
Pultec eq
Colorfull all in one channelstrip - Harrison / SLL like, Neve.

NO SO USED, BUT NICE:
Precision Buss comp
Neve 1073
140Plate verb

Any ideas?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

For 1176 I would highly recommend PSP Old timer. Its even faster and meaner if you'd like it to. Not exactly a modeler, but if you can't go wrong! I'm going straight to this pup these days.

Waves SSL are super great !! Had them and weap in nostalgia... Of all modelled stuff, this on is my all time favourite (Saving up for a Duende!)

I worked 4000E before and the mojo certainly is there!

Iยดm in exactly the same position here... have to build a new rig but hit constant financial dead ends... Was going for an i7, then a used MBP deal came along made me reconsider,, but balked down... now Intel have announce i3 for laptops... i5 desktop is NOT a good idea in the long run... AAARRGG !! When will this ever stop !!

Conclusion, i7 is the only smart move today.

About DSP;

After much consideration, I think I will play it safe with a second hand Liquid Mix 16 until I even out my spendings this fall.

In all honesty, I've read the ENTIRE internet about this, never for a second ruling out my own ears. A friend lent me his and I must concur with the following consensus.

LM is not so good with EQ but does a damn nice job with compressors. Damn damn nice. I was seriously impressed by ear, I didn't even look at the proper name chart available in the web.

Plus, they are dirty cheap now!

Now, obviously I also do LOOOOVE the graphic WOW factor of UAD, and I do believe they might be better in theoretical "modelled" terms. But all in all, my goal is to make music sound good, the best in fact, and if I cant do it without UAD or Duende or native modelled, then I might as well just throw my gloves in.

Obviously, I love to think analog as I work, like "ooh,, going for guitars so I'll 1073 them then I'll hit them with a 2500" ...

LM does let me do that. Hell, even with a "modelled" sonic downgrade (which I disagree entirely - depends on material and objective) those compressors sound really really good !

So my suggestion is - go for the compuer that is going to give you the longest longevity, go native for plugs, and see what the future, the near future has in store. NAMM is right around the corner, early January!
Old 16th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_lar View Post
Hi everybody.
I'm thinking of going cold turkey from my UAD2 laptop/MBP setup and going native plugs on a 24" iMac 3 ghz (I'd like the mac pro/UAD2 quad, but it's really expensive!)

Which plugs would you say I'd have to get to fill in the gap from my most used UAD plugs:

USED MUCH:
LA3A
Fairchild comp
Pultec eq

NO SO USED, BUT NICE:
Precision Buss comp
Neve 1073
140Plate verb

Any ideas?
to replace the 1176 you need the softube 1176 (fet)
you probably want the abbeyroad comp, even though it is not an exact replacement for the ones you have.
Waves Puig have a good fairchild and pultec.
softube also has a passive eq, I haven't tried it properly yet.
Waves also has a number of channel strips, ssl, api, neve
URS also has a flexible channel strip plugin
for a plate verb the breverb (that I'm selling) is pretty good, as is altiverb as a convolution reverb. The plate reverb will be the hardest to replace

Waves have most things you wan, but remember to check out their WUP policy before buying (no need to have the thread turn into a discussion on this, just read up on it)

matt
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

I love the UA franchise and pretty much everything they put out. That said, Aether by 2cAudio makes a nice algorithmic reverb as an option. They have a demo you can download to check it out. The Waves IR-1 deals well with HDIR true stereo - signaltonoize.com offers free true Bricasti M7 IRs which sound great.

For native, the Waves Chris Lord-Alge emulations of 1176, LA-2A & LA-3A are really great - I recommend them. The Waves Jack Joseph Puig bundle also nails Pultec and Fairchild. V-Series by Waves does really nice emus of Neve 1073 & 1081 EQs and the Neve 2254 compressor. Solid State Logic 4000 is also covered well with Waves SSL 4000 - also comes with Chris Lord-Alge presets as starting points if you want.

For me. probably the hardest thing to replace would be the UAD EL7 Fatso Jr/Sr. Probably a title from PSP although I've seen good suggestions here on this subject.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

thanks...

Wow - I was going to a more GAS free approach. Looking at all those different names, brands and options makes me confused.
Basically I know that Waves's got quite a few good bundles for me. But I've heard so much bad about the company's way of pricing upgrades, and dealing with costumers.

EDIT: Maybe something like the CLA and JPP??

And my brother keeps telling me about The Rocket and the Vibe EQ - anyone care to comment?

Last edited by kas_lar; 16th November 2009 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: Waves bundles
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

T racks singles are very good for pultec and fairchild,thier opto compressor is great too.

MC
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

yeah, this is a big problem. UAD needs to have a solution to make sure how to tap the drain of people (mpb 13,15, imac) that wont be able to run UAD.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear
instead of getting all these emulations to replace all your UAD plugs, here's what i'd do.

get yourself a good bread and butter set of eq/comp. the waves ssl4000 would be a really good choice. use this as your basic "console" eq and compression.

then get a couple other plugins and use these as specialized "outboard" when the SSL wont do the trick.

something like Fabfilter Pro-C, Sonalksis SV-315, Stillwell Rocket, or PSP Oldtimer. these are some of the best software comps out there and they all hold their own with good hardware.

and then maybe a neve or pultec style EQ to complement the more aggressive SSL EQ, and methinks you'd be set. this is what i basically do. i have a template with SSL channel strips on everything. if I need more versatile compression, I patch in the Sonalksis, which is very versatile and sounds good on anything.

i also find using the ssl for most eq and compression duties helps give my mixes a more cohesive sound, which is what people hear a lot of the time when they think of professional mixes. it's really the cohesiveness of everything.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Dullfangs... I'm thinking like you:-) My plan is to get rid of my GAS of plugins - get a powerfull iMac and go with some of the classics. I'm mostly composing and writing on my mac, mixing isn't that important.
Is there a chart showing how many waves plugs is possible to get with core 2 CPU's?

And yes to the bread 'n' butter, ad some flavour and get the best workflow. That's basically what I'm trying to do.
Old 17th November 2009
LQM
Lives for gear

Cytomic 'The glue' for $99 does a decent SSL G buss compressor and is more controllable than Waves, UAD or SSL as it has lo pass filter, range and wet/dry for parallel processing.

I like Sonalksis's Essentials mkII bundle, the SV517 mkII EQ is my fave all time EQ, the SV315 mk II is a great sounding compressor - it doesn't model a vintage processor but can be made to sound like others with tweaking.

Sonnox plugins are good and PSPAudioware Old Timer and Mastercomp or Xeon limiter are good.

Some of the T-Racks pkugins are great for so little, but you missed the recent unbelievable group buy, the T-Racks Fairchild is very close to UAD.

Then you have Waves if you want to go that road.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Go for Waves (SSL, neve...), Softube or Sonnox - they're expensive but you'll know why when you use them. I own tons of plugins, the only things that come close to DSP based solutions are the ones i just named.
As for cheaper plugs like the PSP series, they're pretty nice but quite frankly they can't compete with what UAD, Softube or Sonnox stuff can achieve, in terms of signal integrity, dynamics, calrity and musicality.

So my advice: go cold turkey, accumulate some money in the meantime and spend it on a few good plugins, you'll never use the hundreds of others anymore and you'll really hear the difference at the end of the day.

[edit]: but hey, as my old electro-acoustics teacher always said "Hendrix recorded an amazing album on an analog four-track, it's all in your ears!"
[EDIT2]: for those who uderstand french (even for the other's, as it's about HEARING the difference, i just found this very interresting vidรฉo comparing several cheap and more expensive eq's: Comparatif Duende SSL Eq - Oxford Eq - Sonalksis SV 517 - 440TV Video / Informatique
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

to stick to the subject.

i went for UAD to get more cream out of my MBP. it works well. im not happy knowing i might not be able to stick with them next computer, but i had extreme hot/fan noise problems with old computer and it works really well now as a extra DSP.

thanks uad.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Softube FET and CL1B for replacing 1176 + opto (LA-2A, LA-3A)
Cytomic TheGlue for bus compressor
Sonalksis Essentials mk2 are a nice bundle as well. Really good EQ, Compression and Gate/Expander.

Colorful EQ:s and channel strips. Well. That's a bit tougher I think. Haven't found any I like as much as the UAD stuff yet...
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Waves SSL+JJP,
PSP Old timer,
IK Fairchild, Pultec and Opto Comp
Massey Tapehead
Old 17th November 2009
RiF
Lives for gear

I am on the same route and here my current standings:

1176 : Waves CLA, until I have the money the $20 Bomb Factory MC77 has to do the job. Not in the same league, though... The Softube FET is told to be close.
LA3A : Waves CLA. But I don't have the UAD one, so I don't miss it ;-)
Fairchild comp : T-Racks Fairchild
Pultec eq : T-Racks Pultec
Colorfull all in one channelstrip - Harrison / SLL like, Neve. : Waves SSL, nice! I am no Waves fan, but this one's a winner.

NO SO USED, BUT NICE:
Precision Buss comp : McDSP Channel G, T-Racks Opto, SSL Buss Comp
Neve 1073 : Nice EQ indeed, but I will just stick to the SSL
140Plate verb : This one's unique... CSR cannot do the same, but I help myself with the CSR and some Bricasti impulses.

Although I am heavily having the GAS, I try to simplyfy my setup. One nice channel strip will get me a long way if I really learn the thing. But currently the UAD Neve 88RS is the best one I've found, bummer!!! But the Waves SSL comes right behind.
Old 17th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by spasm_dtc View Post
[EDIT2]: for those who uderstand french (even for the other's, as it's about HEARING the difference, i just found this very interresting vidรฉo comparing several cheap and more expensive eq's: Comparatif Duende SSL Eq - Oxford Eq - Sonalksis SV 517 - 440TV Video / Informatique
I don't speak french, but I listened to the video, expecting to hear examples, but there were none

matt
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
I don't speak french, but I listened to the video, expecting to hear examples, but there were none

matt
Arf... sorry wrong link ths was only a previe of the tutorial video.
Here's the right one -->> EQs : comparatif
Old 18th November 2009
LQM
Lives for gear

Merci beaucoup !

Some things to remember though which are not explained in this test. (the reviewer definitely seems to favour the SSL Duende channel EQ to the point of wondering if this was a truly objective test).

1) The results are dependent on the program material - this 4 bar loop wasn't necessarily a good indicator as it had a lot of bright brassy sounds, a more detailed longer loop with more dynamic range which introduces and takes out instruments with different fundamental/harmonic freqs would have made a better test.

2) The Sonalksis EQ has 3 modes and the high and lo shelving filters have symmetrical and assymetrical features - the tester only ran the Sonalksis EQ in mode 3, which we don't know if it was optimal for that material - certainly the reviewer has disdain for the 1 Khz and 3 Khz test, mellowed slightly with the 7Khz test and then basically said on the high/lo pass filter test it was good, and with virtually nothing to choose between it and Sonnox's Cambridge EQ and SSL Duende's channel EQ.

I stand by my recommendation of the Sonalksis SV517mkII, although I certainly respect the Sonnox and some other EQs out there. This was still an interesting test, I would have liked to have heard the original uncompressed/downsampled files as opposed to this compressed video, but there were audible differences, especially in the higher end EQs compared to the generic Logic EQs, and good value PSP and APulsoft eqs. This was still one of the best attempts to compare EQs I've seen however.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post

LM is not so good with EQ but does a damn nice job with compressors. Damn damn nice. I was seriously impressed by ear, I didn't even look at the proper name chart available in the web.
To me the all-button on the LM version of the 1176 is a just a thin shadow of what you get from the 1176LN. It was maybe comparable to the free uad silver face version. The LM did not impress me at all
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
USED MUCH:
LA3A
Fairchild comp
Pultec eq

NO SO USED, BUT NICE:
Precision Buss comp
Neve 1073
140Plate verb
1176 - Waves CLA
LA3A - Waves CLA
Fairchild - T-Racks 3
Pultec - T-Racks 3
Channel strip - Waves SSL, URS CSP

Precision buss comp - Waves SSL, Cytomic The Glue
Neve 1073 - PSP ClassicQ, Waves VEQ
140 Plate - Waves IR with the right impulse, Bricasti M7 impulses

There you go. I would trade all those UAD compressors for the PSP Oldtimer though, I could mix a whole record with just this one. Such an amazing plugin. Perhaps I'd use the T-Racks Fairchild from time to time if I wanted tasty dual mono compression.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Right, forgot. As a substitute for Plate140, I actually use AudioDamage EOS. Not the same sound, but still a really good reverb, that fills the "unnatural but beautiful" reverb slot...
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Try this as a Plate 140 substitute Poor Plate(( vacuumsound ))

I have Plate 140 and I'm using this quite often.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbary Ape View Post
Try this as a Plate 140 substitute Poor Plate(( vacuumsound ))

I have Plate 140 and I'm using this quite often.
I downloaded this the other day, and WOW! It's really good.

Last edited by RusRant; 21st November 2009 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: Asked a Stupid ?
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Maniac

You've all been a great help. I've installed my new mac, and it's been nice not having ALL of my regular plugs for a few days.
So far I'm thinking of going this route - hopefully more GAS free

1176 - I'm having a eye on the Waves CLA, or else, softtube 1176. If the money is low - then Stillwell Rocket.
Pultec/or colorful eq - I've already got the Pultec from IK.
Plate 140 - A mix of Briscati in Space designer and Breverb plate.
Channelstrip - Everybody is saying SSL channelstrip!
A good colourfull bus comp and stereo comp for multi purpose - Ik fairchild or SSL buss comp.

Plugs I've allready got:
IK Pultec
PSP vintage Warmer
B reverb

Plugs to buy:
SSL buss comp and channelstrip - Do I go with Duende Pcie/FW, waves or UAD.
IK fairchild.

Any last recommendations? Thanks for all the advice.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
You've all been a great help. I've installed my new mac, and it's been nice not having ALL of my regular plugs for a few days.
So far I'm thinking of going this route - hopefully more GAS free

Any last recommendations? Thanks for all the advice.

I have duende and uad and I have to say I have been very impressed with softtube but also stillwell plugs. You can demo them easily so dont restrict yourself to the rocket. The 1973 and vibe eq can be great. Bad buss mojo can be good on some sources.
Using the dsp plugs less and less as a result.

dont forget Flux plug ins which are very high quality and have generous demo policy
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

LA3A
Fairchild comp
Pultec eq

NO SO USED, BUT NICE:
Precision Buss comp
Neve 1073
140Plate verb
1176: Stillwell The Rocket
LA-3A, Fairchild, Pultec: T-Racks 3
Channelstrip, bus comp: Waves SSL

Stillwell Vibe EQ and 1973 do quite a good 1073 impression, but Nebula's obviously your best bet for EQ and adding colour. I like the plates in Altiverb and Aether.

As ever, YMMV
Old 4th April 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks. Good post.

Last edited by owhsinchu; 6th August 2011 at 04:14 AM..
Old 5th April 2010
^^^^ Very nice list, thx! thumbsup
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Wow... lots of great options here.

To the OP, so you already invested a ton of money into the UAD plugs, but now you are going to invest as much if not more into more native plugs. I mean you can get a new card and all your plugs transfer. So just get the raw cards and call it good, then you can use all your plugs.

Oh I guess with the iMac no, PCIe slots. That is a Mac problem. I would take the money you are going to re-spend on all the plugs and get the Mac tower. Maybe just get a UAD-Duo instead of the quad. Or cut back on the specs a bit of the Mac tower. Upgrade later.

I guess you could sell the UAD at a severe loss. But adding the prices of all the plugins mentioned is a couple grand. Easily enough to cover the cost of an upgrade to the mac tower and a new UAD-duo card. You can buy a quad later too. Or maybe get a non-Apple monitor to save some cash that way.
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Nebula covers impulse style reverbs, mastering EQ and tape saturation incredibly well (often without competition). The library is always growing and represents one of the best values in the market.

Nebula changed my workflow considerably. It's only around 100 Euros and has a cult of engineers nebulizing expensive gear and then offering the programs for cheap ($7) or free.

It's mildly revolutionary.

+1 Nebula
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear