The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSD boot drive and Paging Files?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

SSD boot drive and Paging Files?

Just installing my first SSD, as my boot drive.

Going through my standard system tweaks,and got to the virtual memeory & userva command. Has me thinking:

I usually use 6600 mb, which is 2X the total ram available to my apps. - But now that the boot drive is essentially ram, could there be any benefit to setting a really large paging file?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Bump.

Anyone?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

no.

and i bet all "tweaks" are completely useless. please make your own try with tweaked/non tweaked version. there won´t be any difference.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Well, thanks but it turns out you are wrong. Please don't post answers when you don't know.

I finally got an answer from a top-level Asus tech, then got it confirmed by an Intel tech.

Here's the deal:

With an SSD boot drive, you should set the paging file to "auto."

the system will slowly figure out how fast the boot drive is, and you should see the cache size continue to grow over time, probably to a much larger size than would have typically been set manually.

note: This does reduce the life-expectancy of the drive, but that just means maybe 7 years instead of ten.
-----------

OK, this is info from two senior techs. Unless someone has VERIFIABLE info to the contrary this is probably how it should be done.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear