The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2009 Imac vs Mac Pro---? Advice
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Head

2009 Imac vs Mac Pro---? Advice

If there a way to hook up an audio card to the new Imacs?

I have a Hedd for conversion. I just need to get that signal into the imac, otherwise I'm guessing I'll have to use the mac pro and get an audio card (presently using a rme 9652)

I don't think there is anyway to use the uad-1 audio card on either of these machines
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

iMac does not have PCI slot. I don't think there is any Mac at the moment sold that can use older UAD-1. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If you need the PCI slots then the only choice is to buy a Mac Pro and I think you meed to get UAD-2 if you still want to use it.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Head

Yeah, you're out of luck if you're wanting to use any kind of PCI stuff with the new imacs - lack of an expresscard slot sealed the deal for that one. The only current Mac that is not a Mac Pro that will allow for that is the 17 inch macbook pro.

Now, I just purchased one of the new core i7 imacs, though i had been looking at the quad Mac Pro for a while, but ultimately for a lot of reasons It was my best bet to go with the imac. This is just for my uses, and based on what i already own and how I will be using it.

The major limitations of the Imac compared to the Mac Pro are:
* Lack of any extra firewire port/bus
* Lack of any PCI expandability
* SATA hard drive (compared to the better eSATAs in the Mac Pro)
* Less I/O Ports in general
* Lack of any way of adding or swapping internal hard drive

But as I thought about my actual workflow i realized that many of these things are not huge hinderences to the way that i generally work:

- I record mainly to my internal drive, and 7200 RPM SATA is still fairly robust for most audio work. Also, i rarely do any recording where I have to trigger lots of samples quickly. And since the only thing i'll have to use the firewire port during tracking for is my interface, the imac is fine with this.

-I don't own any PCI cards of any kind at this time, and I can't see myself having the money to invest in one of the packages that are worthwhile in the near future, not to mention that native processing is really in its infancy, and as soon as the programs start to be written in 64 bit, native processing is in a whole different class with multiple core processors and access to exponentially higher RAM memory compared to what most dedicated PCI cards have, nice as they are to have around.

-If for some reason I find the internal hard drive so troublesome to my work then I will go to my local certified mac repair shop and have them install a more capable drive. It won't be too much $$, i've had it done before.

And when you start pricing it out, even to get a 2.93 quad Mac Pro you're looking at over 3K, and if you're trying to get a comparable 27 inch screen, you can just forget about it. If i went with the apple display, or anything of reasonable quality, you're entire CPU package is over 4K with apple care and so on.... The iMac starts looking like a better and better deal since it has the same 16 GB ram limit as the quad MP, plus the benchmarks that came out yesterday for the i7 imacs are almost exactly the same as the comparable mac pros

Not to mention, i live in a smallish apartment where space is at a premium, and though the imac is massive in screen size, its ultimately a small footprint and again, functions into the workflow of my place in a better way and I will have spent $1000-1500 less ultimately.

So.... there are a lot of people who will tell you that the imac is crippled by its lack of expandibility and certainly, technically it is. But whether or not its crippling to you is an entirely different story. You really need to think about your own needs and how you want to use it. The same with any other kind of gear question, its all about YOUR use and how you will use it.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

For me the lack of esata and extra firewire port is a dealbraker.
I'm waiting for a imac with two internal harddisk. SSD for system disk and SATA for data/recording.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

There is no esata on Mac Pros o_O
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Head

So how would one hook up the Crane Song Hedd to the Imac?
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaero View Post

There is no eSATA port... but the internal drives are eSATA.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

iMac has a digital mini jack so with the adapter you could use it with S/PDIF. However with this high class product I'd be rather looking at Mac Pro.

I got a LaCie eSata II card for my Mac Pro last summer so you can use eSata drives with Mac Pro although currently no Mac has eSata connectors "built in".
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Head

I have read that there are certain companies working on a way to use the gigabit ethernet as a connection for external PCI enclosures. The DAWs have to be able to access the repective nodes...or something. I don't completely know, but thats something down the road that will be useful perhaps.
Old 16th November 2009
my mate has bought a top spec iMac i7 to produce with Logic ITB and I think its an excellent choice on paper. It should be far quiker than my early Quad Mac Pro. Time will tell whether in reality it lives up to the promise. But if you are happy with FW interfaces and no UAD/Duende (many great native nowdays) - seems a pretty good choice for many non pro studios/artists and musician producers...
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaero View Post
OWC sells a $25.00 cable that adds two eSATA ports to a Mac Pro as the Mac Pro has 2 unused SATA ports on the motherboard with the 4 internals you have a total of 6 SATA drives on a Mac Pro. thumbsup
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Aye, Mack. Definitely.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudAsBalls View Post
Yeah, you're out of luck if you're wanting to use any kind of PCI stuff with the new imacs - lack of an expresscard slot sealed the deal for that one. The only current Mac that is not a Mac Pro that will allow for that is the 17 inch macbook pro.

Now, I just purchased one of the new core i7 imacs, though i had been looking at the quad Mac Pro for a while, but ultimately for a lot of reasons It was my best bet to go with the imac. This is just for my uses, and based on what i already own and how I will be using it.

The major limitations of the Imac compared to the Mac Pro are:
* Lack of any extra firewire port/bus
* Lack of any PCI expandability
* SATA hard drive (compared to the better eSATAs in the Mac Pro)
* Less I/O Ports in general
* Lack of any way of adding or swapping internal hard drive

But as I thought about my actual workflow i realized that many of these things are not huge hinderences to the way that i generally work:

- I record mainly to my internal drive, and 7200 RPM SATA is still fairly robust for most audio work. Also, i rarely do any recording where I have to trigger lots of samples quickly. And since the only thing i'll have to use the firewire port during tracking for is my interface, the imac is fine with this.

-I don't own any PCI cards of any kind at this time, and I can't see myself having the money to invest in one of the packages that are worthwhile in the near future, not to mention that native processing is really in its infancy, and as soon as the programs start to be written in 64 bit, native processing is in a whole different class with multiple core processors and access to exponentially higher RAM memory compared to what most dedicated PCI cards have, nice as they are to have around.

-If for some reason I find the internal hard drive so troublesome to my work then I will go to my local certified mac repair shop and have them install a more capable drive. It won't be too much $$, i've had it done before.

And when you start pricing it out, even to get a 2.93 quad Mac Pro you're looking at over 3K, and if you're trying to get a comparable 27 inch screen, you can just forget about it. If i went with the apple display, or anything of reasonable quality, you're entire CPU package is over 4K with apple care and so on.... The iMac starts looking like a better and better deal since it has the same 16 GB ram limit as the quad MP, plus the benchmarks that came out yesterday for the i7 imacs are almost exactly the same as the comparable mac pros

Not to mention, i live in a smallish apartment where space is at a premium, and though the imac is massive in screen size, its ultimately a small footprint and again, functions into the workflow of my place in a better way and I will have spent $1000-1500 less ultimately.

So.... there are a lot of people who will tell you that the imac is crippled by its lack of expandibility and certainly, technically it is. But whether or not its crippling to you is an entirely different story. You really need to think about your own needs and how you want to use it. The same with any other kind of gear question, its all about YOUR use and how you will use it.
Very cool. I'm doing this next week, selling my Quad G5. To the OP, i'm making a similar sacrifice because I have to sell my symphony rig and go to firewire. Apogee rep told me though I wouldn't really notice because of how much stronger my new computer will be.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear