The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Computer Monitors
Old 16th November 2009
Here for the gear

Computer Monitors

HI, I'm getting a new 24" LCD computer monitor and wanted to know if anyone has compared 1920x1200 with 1920x1080 on this size monitor? I use Ableton Live 8. Does 1080 give adequate resolution for reading text so that it is not blurry? Has anyone purchased an LCD TV and used it as a monitor for their computer? Any drawbacks? Thanks!
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Samsung is a master at all things screen related....

1920x1200 is 2,304,000 pixels
1920x1080 is 2,073,600 pixels
Both will be very close in quality....
Interesting to note that 1920x1200 is essentially the first computer resolution above what HD televisions are capable of.
1920x1200 is a 16:10 ratio as opposed to 16:9 which is the standard widescreen size
You'll be able to fit a bit more vertically... For instance at 1920x1200 I can fit more minimized tracks into the console view of my DAW over 1920x1080 because my screen now uses 1200 rows of pixels as opposed to 1080
but each track is slightly smaller
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Time for a new monitor to add to the Apple Cinema Display I'm still nursing along after many years.

What would you guys suggest that has a great display and doesn't cost what the Apple does?

I use Logic and PT...

Thanks
Tom
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

I really am a big Samsung fan
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

I bought a Philips 22" recently and have had nothing but grief with this 'SmartImage' mode it has. Customer support is non-existent too.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Time for a new monitor to add to the Apple Cinema Display I'm still nursing along after many years.

What would you guys suggest that has a great display and doesn't cost what the Apple does?

I use Logic and PT...

Thanks
Tom
LCD monitor T240 - LCD Monitor - Monitor | SAMSUNG

I bought the 26" version for 308 euros.

I thing the model is T 260

Very good display........Dp 7 and Logic 8 here
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

When i doubt, check the models in person at a store (where display models may have funny settings so it's good to check through the OSD for each panel.) Or just google up "The LCD Thread" and either read the rather informative first 2 posts or just scroll below the initial information for model recommendations for each usage pattern.

I have 2 24" models (one 1920x1200 and one 1920x1080) and 1 Samsung 275T (27" which is still 1920x1200). I think that overall 1920x1200 is a bit better for computer use as it leaves room at the bottom for your Dock or Taskbar (depending on OSX or Win) and even though on both OS's I let that minimize/hide I still find the extra screenspace better for my 'main' workspace. The 1920x1080 24" monitor makes a great second monitor for me, and I can't really see complaining about it as a primary monitor if it was the only one I had.

As for the above mentioned contrast ratios, anything advertises at 500:1 and above will be fine. Anything that advertises 10,000:1 contrast ratio is not accurate, they're doing some 'funny math' and including their contrast-enhancing technology in their test figures. There are various methods but most will blank the CFL tube behind the 'darker' areas for a short amount of time to increase perceived black levels or overvolt their display (for IPS & PVA/sPVA modes) or both. I almost always find that I want to disable any of the 'autocolor' and 'autocontrast' features as it's a distraction when you open a plugin window and the hue & contrast of your whole display automatically changes.

The main thing that will bother you (imo) is dead-pixels (Asus & Acer are poor in this regard imo, Viewsonic & Samsung are pretty damn good in the models I've sampled) and backlight bleed (which will make the top & bottom edges appear somewhat 'ghosted.) The IPS & PVA models will improve on this but are disappearing from the market and come at a rather high cost premium, most panels up to 26"/27" these days are increasing TN based.

I would also make SURE that you're getting the full 24bit color range (8 bits per pixel.) Many monitors targeted at 'gaming & multimedia' will only support 5-6 bits per channel and dither on output to the display, which most people won't notice but you're definitely in the budget tier here and imo things like backlight bleed & poor monitor tuning are more frequent on these budget models.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

The side by side comparisons favor Samsung IMHO....

And Newegg has a Samsung 23inch monitor for $220.00 USD Thats not horribly overpriced.... thats actually rather modest
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese View Post
No, it's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of fact.

The Samsungs are overpriced when a better unit with higher candelas, twice the contrast ratio, 1 inch bigger screen size, and 2ms delay as opposed to 5, the Acer is the same price as the one you mentioned:

Newegg.com - Acer H243Hbmid 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 40000:1 Max (ACM) Built-in Speakers - LCD Monitors

This is the one you mentioned:

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 2343BWX High Glossy Black 23" 5ms 16:9 Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20000:1 (DC) w/ HDCP Support - LCD Monitors

Yah I'm that anal when it comes to monitors. I could give a crap about mic pres though. Acer has been killing the game when it comes to deals on computers and monitors. Of course, I would not buy a computer from them though. Their monitors, however, are flawless. And they don't have that ridiculous gloss that Samsungs sometimes have...that make the glare horrible.
How is Acer's support? thats actually not a bad deal? I'm checking now to see Acer LCD's at different price points.... Acer laptops have just left a very bad taste in my mouth.... I don't remember their support being very good....
Old 17th November 2009
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
2048x1152 is a 16:9 ratio, I call it the "I wanna be slightly better than 1920x1080 and still use the 16:9 ratio unlike 1980x1200 which is 16:10"
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

In my opinion, one can never have enough screen real estate. I use two HP LP3065s each running at 2560x1600 (Dual-link DVI powered)... If not two, then one - still better than two smaller monitors IHMO....

What has stood the test of time inside my recording studio | Adrian Sakashita's Music

Thoroughly researched the Dell and Apple options before settling on the HP. No problems with these babies whatsoever...

Cheers!
Old 17th November 2009
Here for the gear

Great Inputs!!

Thanks for all of your help? I think I have the info I need to make a good and satisfying decision.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese View Post
I bought my screens in-store so I got a 4 year warranty in which it states that if any pixels go bad in these 4 years, I get it repaired free, or if the model is discontinued, I get the new version. So I'm pretty set. Haven't had any problems though. No pixels went bad as of yet and I've had both monitors for over 2 years. Mind you I payed 400+ for my 24" when I bought it. And that was still cheaper than samsung which was going for like 500.
You know... I've never really had bad pixels on any LCD's I've used... are there really a lot of people out there with that problem?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear