The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic Users: Are 8 cores REALLY worth it right now??
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Logic Users: Are 8 cores REALLY worth it right now??

In doing comparisons to the top end 2.93 nehalem Quads, and now the the Quad 2.8 i7 in the new iMacs, is it really worth it to upgrade to 8 cores? I'm aware of our benchmark test (which i hope i7 imac users chime in soon) which does show some benefits to upgrading, but how much does that translate in real world use? 22 tracks in the benchmark test easily translates to 70 tracks of a real song on my G5 Quad. I would like to hear some general opinions to influence my upgrade path.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

I would consider expansion capabilities to be the biggest drawback with current iMacs vs. a Mac Pro. Considering that you're on a G5 now, take a look at what peripherals (including soundcard) and extra drives you expect you might attach to the iMac *now*, and see if that leaves anything open for future expansion. If not...
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yes. There are some CPU intensive plugins coming out that will require all the processing power you can get.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Addict
well... it depends... if, for example, you are using a lot of big samples in logic, memory is the problem you will encounter... on a 4 and 8 core alike...
i am using a quad and always have to struggle with memory issues when mixing midi orchestra or the like, but only occassionally hit the cpu limit - and this only with the dreaded spikes
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

The new best way IMO to work is a Mac Pro + PC slave for the VI's via Vienna Ensemble Pro. No need to update your current Mac
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Part of my decision is also financially based. I can get a decent trade in value now, but if I wait too long, it will be worth much less if not trade in-able at all. The iMac i7 is looking to be the one right now. You can also rock 16 gb of RAM in that bad boy.

iMac Core i7 versus other Macs
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear