The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reformat audio drives, after a new cpu of chipset?
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Reformat audio drives, after a new cpu of chipset?

I just did a maintenance re-install of XP32.

Going through my notes, I am again reminded that some techs recommend re-formatting ALL drives after changing cpus, mobos, or even just chipsets.

I've never bothered, as it's a royal PITA.

What's the feeling around here?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Related question:

Is there any advantage to adding a small paging file to audio (not boot) drives?
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Regarding #1, hard drives of audio sessions are regularly shared and swapped between computers without any issues, so no, you don't need to reformat your audio drive, provided it is formatted optimally for your OS. .
Do you know this for sure? (are you an advanced tech, or just going by the fact that this isn't absolutely necessary, which is not my question) I was told to do this by several different mobo techs, from different companies. Had something to do with how the drivers access data, but I dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
As for #2, bad idea. Putting a page file on your audio disk will cause your OS to access this drive when needing virtual memory. It will reduce performance when attempting to record or playback audio.
Yeah, that makes sense, but why then is there this option on the OS? Under what conditions would you WANT to put a paging file on more than just your boot drive?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear