The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How can the SSL XRACK fir into my studio?
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

How can the SSL XRACK fir into my studio?

hi guys

looking to make a significant upgrade to my project studio. i currently run a Mac Pro Dual Quad. Looking to add some SSL grade mixing options into my rig.

My question is how can i work it into my rig? I am thinking about upgrading to an apogee ensemble from a duet, basically giving me 8 I/O.

Now i do mostly Vocal heavy R&B production. With the XRACK, does this mean that I can send my stems {vox,Gui,etc} into the xrack for processing? Im trying to understand how I can utilize it.

If I understand it right after bussing your material into the XRACK for processing, how does it get back into your comp? Is it a send return kind of thing? Hopefully someone can break it down so i can understand it better

muchos thankos
Old 21st November 2009
Here for the gear

Here is one way to do it that works :)

I have exactly the setup you're talking about,
I also tried the apogee ensemble system and think it's far from high end apogee.
If you are rich enough prism orpheus is quite nice.

I finally opted for an SSL Alpha-Link (either AES/MADI/ADAT), more transparent than apogee ensemble and you have decent pro 24 ins/outs !
You can use a MADI interface card for your G5 or use an RME adat or AES at your convenience price wise. RME usually have the monitoring built in the card with 0 latency.
The most important is within two years I never had problems with the converters/interface setup even with an RME RayDAT.

More over you have the option to use D-sub connectors to connect looms to the X-rack.
If you want to use the X-rack as a summing box it is 24 outs available to work with or more if you add extra converters.
The X-rack can be used then as an 8 preamp box, an 8 dynamics box, a summing box,
or a bit of everything, swapping cards is easy.

If you have any other question.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear