The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quickest way to double vocal track with vocoder in Logic
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quickest way to double vocal track with vocoder in Logic

Hey, all... I've only used a vocoder a couple of times, and I remember liking the effect I got of using a wispy synth track to double the vocals. I want to try it again, but I discovered it through a lengthy process, and I know there must be a faster way.... maybe even an automatic way to do some of these things.

Basically, I want to double the vocal, so I guess that means converting the vocal take to midi notes (which I don't know how to do, but I'm sure there's a function for it somewhere), triggering a synth with those notes, setting up the vocoder with the side chain, etc...

Or... is there a much quicker way? I just want when this impulse strikes to in very short order be auditioning different synth sounds as the vocal plays with it. I thought I remembered there being a combination synth, vocoder in logic... not sure how it works, or if there is just something I can feed the vocal track to automatically rather than having to convert to midi notes and trigger something else.

Oh, sorry... Logic 9
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

I watched a couple of youtube tutorials on use of ev20 or whatever it's called... vocoder with built in synth...

but they all rely on logic's audio to score function... and after six or seven attempts at transcribing a simple PITCH CORRECTED spot-on solo'd lead vocal with a variety of settings, I can say that function has not even come close to working properly. It's going to be faster at this point for me to figure out what the notes are and create a midi region myself.

What I would really like is something that skips the whole transcription part... isn't there something out there that just takes the pitch of the incoming signal, and uses it to drive an internal synth or the synth of your choice so you can vocode? Is it too much to ask that that work with a track as a sidechain so bussing is also unnecessary?

Seriously, there MUST be a MUCH easier way to do this. I just don't know what it is.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Are you pitch correcting the vocal ?
If not you could just run a pitch corrected version of the vocal in parallel, then delay, pitch shift & formant shift it a little maybe even add a touch of slow pitch LFO just to shake up the timing & tuning.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Except for the lfo, I'm doing all that.

Chorus is tripple-tracked L-C-R. Center is pitch corrected for target notes, but not pitch modulation. Wide-panned takes are pitch corrected 50% towards target notes, with no correction for modulation, and have been time stretched to line up transients. They have then been detuned slightly to give a fairly consistent amount of thickening. Slight rolloff on wide panned versions, which are roughly 12db down from center track.

Verses have all of the above happening on certain key phrases except panning is pulled in. for the most part, though, it's just a bare lead vocal... very little compression, high register... think MJ in Human Nature. It's so sparse (and lacking in low end) that it just needs something to give it some body.

So... it's already got a wide panned 20 ms delay with -10cents L and +10 cents R with a mild chorus, a 1/8 feedback delay with the highs rolled off, a touch of thin long vocal plate, and the track's "define the space" verb on it... all mixed way down. It almost sounds naked except for the space.

It's still a bit thin, though, and I seem to be ruining it's delicate nature by compressing. I was probably a bit too far away from the mic, but I love it otherwise, and don't intend to redo it. Doubling it loses the contrast between verse and chorus... so I'm remembering a while back when I used a vocoder with a very smooth pad for the synth... and it added a very smooth body to a vocal. Now, I did it with a background vocal, and it was a cool effect, but Im thinking if I eq properly and mix it WAY down, it may just add a subtle bit of fullness just below where you become conscious of it.

I finally tried taking it into melodyne for the transcription part which worked better, but not perfectly... still gotta go thru note for note and make some corrections, stretch some notes over.

What I want to find is something where the melody from the vocals drives the synth directly... skipping all those steps. If it's all-in one with the vocoder, great. I"ve got like a 7 or so step process going here, and it's time consuming.

If I can't find that, does someone have some pointers for how to very quickly get a more accurate MIDI file?
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
Except for the lfo, I'm doing all that.

Chorus is tripple-tracked L-C-R. Center is pitch corrected for target notes, but not pitch modulation. Wide-panned takes are pitch corrected 50% towards target notes, with no correction for modulation, and have been time stretched to line up transients. They have then been detuned slightly to give a fairly consistent amount of thickening. Slight rolloff on wide panned versions, which are roughly 12db down from center track.

Verses have all of the above happening on certain key phrases except panning is pulled in. for the most part, though, it's just a bare lead vocal... very little compression, high register... think MJ in Human Nature. It's so sparse (and lacking in low end) that it just needs something to give it some body.

So... it's already got a wide panned 20 ms delay with -10cents L and +10 cents R with a mild chorus, a 1/8 feedback delay with the highs rolled off, a touch of thin long vocal plate, and the track's "define the space" verb on it... all mixed way down. It almost sounds naked except for the space.

It's still a bit thin, though, and I seem to be ruining it's delicate nature by compressing. I was probably a bit too far away from the mic, but I love it otherwise, and don't intend to redo it. Doubling it loses the contrast between verse and chorus... so I'm remembering a while back when I used a vocoder with a very smooth pad for the synth... and it added a very smooth body to a vocal. Now, I did it with a background vocal, and it was a cool effect, but Im thinking if I eq properly and mix it WAY down, it may just add a subtle bit of fullness just below where you become conscious of it.

I finally tried taking it into melodyne for the transcription part which worked better, but not perfectly... still gotta go thru note for note and make some corrections, stretch some notes over.

What I want to find is something where the melody from the vocals drives the synth directly... skipping all those steps. If it's all-in one with the vocoder, great. I"ve got like a 7 or so step process going here, and it's time consuming.

If I can't find that, does someone have some pointers for how to very quickly get a more accurate MIDI file?
Artificial Vocal doubling sounds horrible, just use another ( real ) take, but if you need to do it ,try the TC Helicon Harmony plugin for the TC Electronic Powercore Platform.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear