The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New iMac i7 owners -- take the benchmark test Audio Interfaces
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH4music View Post
Mine also uses only 7 cpu threads. I'm guessing logic reserves one for other processes.
I've read that for Logic, a "live app," hyperthreading is counter-productive. Here is a post explaining how to turn it off:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/4020848-post75.html

If anyone goes ahead and disables hypertheading, would they please post back here with their compared results? (HT vs. no-HT)
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

I guess the "inactive" 8 core in Logic is just a graphic bug. If you look at Activity monitor I think all 8 cores shows activity.
It would be really interesting to see some results with hyperthreading turned off with a quadcore Imac.
I think Hyperthreading is kind of working but the guys with better scores when disabled are the guys with dual quad Nehalem MacPro´s and that´s not due to hyperthreading but the fact that Logic becomes very confused when the system reports more than 8 cores ( with dual quad HT, it gives "16" core info to Logic ).

I suggest you Mac owners to report your results to the other benchmark thread instead.
It makes it easier for me to collect the results and I can then update the graphic charts in the first post.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...hmarktest.html
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
That page is quite confusing. Care to summarize?
Basically, for playback an SSD blows and HDD out of the water. The seek times are so fast that you shouldn't have any problems with any size session as far as playback is concerned.

The Glyph SSD is reported to be able to handle 40 tracks of recording at a time, so they reccomend for recording more than 40 tracks to use a regular HDD(which should be able to handle about 80 tracks of simultaneous recording).

Keep in mind the specs for the glyph drive are quite dated compared to the capabilities of the current cutting edge SSDs like the OCZ vertex.

OCZ vertex is advertised to have write speeds up to 200MB/s, and sustained write speeds of up to 100MB/s. The glyph drive is advertised to have write speeds up to 65MB/s(I'm not clear on if this is maximum write or sustained write). For most people's setups this is a moot point, as it's not likely you'd be tracking more than 40 tracks at a time.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Basically, for playback an SSD blows and HDD out of the water. The seek times are so fast that you shouldn't have any problems with any size session as far as playback is concerned.

The Glyph SSD is reported to be able to handle 40 tracks of recording at a time, so they reccomend for recording more than 40 tracks to use a regular HDD(which should be able to handle about 80 tracks of simultaneous recording).

Keep in mind the specs for the glyph drive are quite dated compared to the capabilities of the current cutting edge SSDs like the OCZ vertex.

OCZ vertex is advertised to have write speeds up to 200MB/s, and sustained write speeds of up to 100MB/s. The glyph drive is advertised to have write speeds up to 65MB/s(I'm not clear on if this is maximum write or sustained write). For most people's setups this is a moot point, as it's not likely you'd be tracking more than 40 tracks at a time.
So, would an SSD be equally superior for sample streaming? Do you think there would be a huge advantage for sample streaming over say, a FW 800 drive, or simply streaming off the internal drive?
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

bump.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

OCZ's better performing drives and Intel's X-25M G2 (2nd Gen) drives would be great tools for sample-streaming since the 'write' penalties aren't going to be present in read-only usages. The main problem with Macs will be getting one that's got OS support (and it would be nice to have a TRIM util you could even run under OSX, no? Something to ask for!)

With TRIM support (either via the OS aka Win7 or via specific utilities that you run periodically) they also make acceptable general use drives now (imo) but for recording purposes I think magnetic media is still the way to go unless you're going to pay for a product from FusionIO or something on par (3-4 times the cost of even the X-25M G2.)
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Anyone have any noise reports on the i7 iMacs?

Are they louder than other iMacs?
Old 20th November 2009

Quote:
So, would an SSD be equally superior for sample streaming? Do you think there would be a huge advantage for sample streaming over say, a FW 800 drive, or simply streaming off the internal drive?
Yes, Yes , and Yes.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiMattMatt View Post
Anyone have any noise reports on the i7 iMacs?

Are they louder than other iMacs?
Pretty much silent so far. I hear the occasional click of the hard drive and that's about it.

Quote:
Absolutely, if your sampler program supports streaming samples from disk this is all about seek times. A dedicated SSD for samples really only gets written to once - when you install your samples.

As far as bandwidth is concerned, FW800 bottlenecks at 100MB/s(50MB/s if you use a FW400 device), where SATA II bottlenecks around 375MB/s. So installing an SSD on your internal SATA bus is going to yield better sample streaming performance than installing it on the FW800 bus.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pretty much silent so far. I hear the occasional click of the hard drive and that's about it.
Thanks. That's great to know!

Quote:
Absolutely, if your sampler program supports streaming samples from disk this is all about seek times. A dedicated SSD for samples really only gets written to once - when you install your samples.
Is this easy enough to do? If I follow you, you're saying you remove the optical drive and replace it with an SSD, presumably using an external optical drive for burning?

Is replacing the optical drive an easy procedure? Something even a clueless clod like myself could do?

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiMattMatt View Post
Is this easy enough to do? If I follow you, you're saying you remove the optical drive and replace it with an SSD, presumably using an external optical drive for burning?

Is replacing the optical drive an easy procedure? Something even a clueless clod like myself could do?

Thanks again for the feedback.
You'll need a Optical drive adaptor for your SSD, some suction cups and no fear of taking apart your imac.

There is a guide up on ifixit. You can buy the optical drive adaptor and suction cups from them. I suggest looking over the guide to see if you're up for this.

Link to the guide:

iMac Intel 27" Teardown - iFixit

Link to the drive enclosure:

12.7 mm SATA Optical Bay SATA Hard Drive Enclosure - iFixit

Link to a drive enclosure from a slightly cheaper place(This is the one I ordered):

Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy (p/n OBHD-SATA-SATA), Silver,12.7mm [OBHD-SATA-SATA] - $42.00 : NewmodeUS, Hard Drive Caddys for Notebooks

I have some SSDs coming from newegg, so I'll hopefully have this working some time next week.
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Nut

Hi all, Ive read through all of this but im not really following.
First what is an ssd??

my mate who I do most of my recording with has just got his I7 today.

We have the apogee ensemble. and glyph hardrive to record audio on to.

What is the best way to set this up.
Do we have to record audio on to an external HD.

We need to know the best set up for best results and performance.

Also.
because there is only one firewire port, does that mean either way there is going to be a decline in performance?

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgil View Post
Hi all, Ive read through all of this but im not really following.
First what is an ssd??
It stands for Solid State Drive and is a newish hard drive technology. You can read AnandTech: The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ to find out more.

Basically, there are no moving parts in a SSD, which makes it much faster. They are smaller, too (2.5") and are, afaik, always internal drives. Some people have started taking apart their brandnew i7s to put in these drives instead of the TB drive that came with the iMac. Maybe once my warranty expires I'll be game enough to do that...and by then SSD prices will be more reasonable, too. At the moment they are still way too small and expensive
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Chrisgil:

Connect the Hard drive to the FW port and then connect the Ensemble to the Hard drive.

And please report ur expereicne with the new iMac, Apogee drivers, latency and how the FW daisy chain is working out for you!!
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyne View Post
And please report ur expereicne with the new iMac, Apogee drivers, latency and how the FW daisy chain is working out for you!!
And don't forget to post your benchmark test results!
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Nut

ok, will do
Old 13th May 2010
Here for the gear

Cool Benchmark g5 quad vs Macbook pro i7

Hello my fellow musicians!

I just got my brand new Macbook pro i7 4gb ram and made a test with my old g5 quad 8gb ram. Both have a 7200rpm HD.

I bounced the same project at the same time with both machines and the macbook pro was ready in 1,47 minutes while the old g5 was ready in 2,27 minutes.

That is a 27% increase of cpu power even though I just have 4 gb ram on the macbook. Dont know how much bigger differens it will make once I upgrade the mbook to 8 gb. But still I am very happy and I am now able to bring my studio with me everywhere I go..

May the music be with you!
Old 18th November 2010
Lives for gear

Cool

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm looking at a quad 2.943 nehelem mac pro vs iMac. I use a lot if virtual synths. With 8 core it's the 2nd faster machine you can buy, but here is the dilema.

My audio interface is a Mackie FW 400f so if I got an iMac, my 899 drives would slow to 400 speeds and for $200, I can get a quad 2.93 quad mac
pro. What would anyone else do. I could see if the new iMac had a 400 fw or even esata or USB 3 but it does not.

I use symphobia, storm drum 2, ewqlso, and a few more plus my Audi is 400 speeds. Advice?

Oh and amplitube

advice apreciated.

Thanks.

Quote:
To the owners of the new iMac Quad Core 2.8GHz i7...

I (and many others I presume) would be very interested to know what results you get on the Evan Multicore Benchmark Test:

Index of /logicprobenchmark

Here is a very simple benchmark test. Download the zipfile located on the link above.
Open with Logic 8.02. ( Feel free to open with Logic 9 too !!! ) Then un-mute tracks one by one and check how many tracks your computer is able to run.
Audiobuffer:256 samples will give the best results.
Old 19th November 2010
Gear Head

Adding mine!

iMac 27" 2.93 ghz

70 tracks in 64 bit.

I'm quite pleased
Old 19th November 2010
Gear Head

As far as running logic pro my imac 27 i7 run's fairly smooth but pro tools 9... um not as powerful as i like it to be.. I haven't tested how man tracks i can do, but my issues is i do a lot of VST and using programs like omnisphere or trilian. so that kills the CPU. I am slightly feel that i should've just gotten a Mac pro with quad core instead.
Old 19th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by composer View Post
As I mentioned in another thread, I'm looking at a quad 2.943 nehelem mac pro vs iMac. I use a lot if virtual synths. With 8 core it's the 2nd faster machine you can buy, but here is the dilema.

My audio interface is a Mackie FW 400f so if I got an iMac, my 899 drives would slow to 400 speeds and for $200, I can get a quad 2.93 quad mac
pro. What would anyone else do. I could see if the new iMac had a 400 fw or even esata or USB 3 but it does not.

I use symphobia, storm drum 2, ewqlso, and a few more plus my Audi is 400 speeds. Advice?

Oh and amplitube

advice apreciated.

Thanks.
As long as the FW800 devices are first on the bus, they will operate at maximum speed.
A FW800 hub would deliver Max speed to all hub ports.

Last edited by gdoubleyou; 19th November 2010 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Imac 27 2.8 i7 SUKS!!!!! I loved my iMac but as I come to find out here, they get HOT and CRASH!! Sure enough.... crash crash crash, they can not handle the DAW's after the run HOT!!! plus 1 FW port?? Got a 2.8 2010 MAC PRO I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!
Old 28th June 2011
Overheating iMacs are easily rectified, you just need to install an app called smcFancontrol (do a google search), this gives you options for increasing the internal fan speeds and it will kepp your iMac running totally cool. I never run my Mac without this, they do get too hot.
Old 28th June 2011
Lives for gear

I sold my top of the line iMac 27 a year ago, after 4 iMacs... Getting a Mac pro was the best move ever!!!! Never never will I deal with that again!!!!
GET A MAC PRO!!!!!!
Old 1st July 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
I sold my top of the line iMac 27 a year ago, after 4 iMacs... Getting a Mac pro was the best move ever!!!! Never never will I deal with that again!!!!
GET A MAC PRO!!!!!!
That's funny my 2007 Imac that I gave my wife is still running fine. I used it 14 hours a day 6 days a week. She leaves it on for days at a time. Hardrive went bad but that's because she left it 90% full for months and it was the original drive anyway!
Old 1st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
That's funny my 2007 Imac that I gave my wife is still running fine. I used it 14 hours a day 6 days a week. She leaves it on for days at a time. Hardrive went bad but that's because she left it 90% full for months and it was the original drive anyway!
I didn't say they didn't work... After 2 hours in logic or protools it would crash!!!!
Bit all is good I love my Mac Pro..
Old 1st July 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
I didn't say they didn't work... After 2 hours in logic or protools it would crash!!!!
Bit all is good I love my Mac Pro..

Not trying to start anything but that was something else like your room wasn't cool enough or the fans were not working or were blocked. I have owned 4 G4 1 G5 and 3 Intel Macs . All the intel machines have been Imacs. I have lost one hard drive in that time and a cd burner replaced under warranty. Of the Desktop G4 and G5's I had a Logic board , A power supply, 4 Firewire ports and about 4 Hard drives go bad. I think the Imac are just fine when used and maintained properly!
Old 2nd July 2011
Here for the gear

One thing that interests me is how the imac performs when using high sample rates (96-192)in Logic projects?
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear
OK as Promised I have just Evans Benchmarked the 21.5" 2.8 GHZ I7. I got 65 tracks stable on Logic 9.3 at 256 buffer. I am using Fireface UFX on the USB Driver. I will report back about Logic 9.4 which should be even higher and PT9!

Jazztone
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

At what sample rate and was it on the internal HDD or External?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search