The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WavesSSL 4000 plug vs UAD 4K??
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

WavesSSL 4000 plug vs UAD 4K??

I've just set up a dual boot system (XP Pro 32/Win 7 Pro 64) with the intention of utilizing the increased RAM availablity in a 64 bit OS. Obviously it's going to take some time for 64 bit drivers to come out for all plugs etc but I thought I would make a start. For the time being I can continue to use my Waves 5.7 plugs in the XP system but Waves wants a staggering amount of cash for their v7.0 for a 64 bit OS since v5.7 won't work or even activate in Win 7 64 (unlessanyone knows of aWaves-specific workaround) .
Since I'm also running UAD-2 cards can any one tell me of their experiences with UAD's 4K plugs as a substitute for Waves SSL 400 v7.0? Thee is a huge cost difference!
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

waves ssl sounds reasonably close to the actual ssl, not the same, but very close...
uad 4k sounds very good, but it's not ssl, the plug looks like ssl, but doesn't sounds like ssl, but as i said it sounds very good as just a comp&eq
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear
I tried both and bought a Duende
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

There are different and sound different. Use the UAD until you can afford to upgrade your waves plan.
Old 13th November 2009

Waves SSL Native sells for $600 or less - it's a no brainer no hardware required.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

guess i'll be the lone dissenter...:-)

Having had both, and recently, my vote is for UA. Mind you, I've never heard the real thing, nor am I terribly interested to. I'll never understand why someone would want ANY SSL eq plugs...all have seemed lackluster to me, but I haven't tried 4k channel strip.

Something to consider is that they renewed the UA demo period for the channel strip...you might have another two weeks with it if you haven't demo'd it twice...

The Waves buss comp is very smooth. I love the fade...really cool envelope!

The UAD gives anything I put through it more punch and substantially more girth in kick/bass region. Just plain better fidelity. Doesn't squelch everything...i.e....mixes stay more open with the same levels of gain reduction. And yeah, it's very noticeable.

$.01
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass View Post
Waves SSL Native sells for $600 or less - it's a no brainer no hardware required.
I just found out that I had misread the upgrade cost to me. I can just renew my WUP and get the latest version that will work with Win 7.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

off topic: are you dual booting from separate drives or the same drive? any problems with the dual boot?
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

worked much on SSL 4000 (duende was not workling unfortunately but sounds different anyhow...) UNTIL i had uad 4k
maybe not so "REAL" ssl but much better sound than waves

much better

UAD rulez
(FATSO EMT etc.)
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

I will say that the Duende Channelstrip is slightly better sounding, just before the UAD and last but not totally wrong the Waves E channel.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/4050528-post58.html
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear
from what i hear the waves ssl has more of the aggressive character of the e-series ssl consoles, while the uad plugins are more transparent sounding overall.

i personally love the sound the of the eq on the e-channel. i'm kind of having a hard time dialing in the compressor on the e-channel though. it just seems to sound strange in a way that i cant describe. something it does to the attack or something. the bus compressor is fabulous, however.
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

Which is the accurate emulation of the 4000, UAD or Waves?
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

waves
Old 1st January 2010
Lives for gear

I have a uad2 duo and 4 uad 1 cards. I desperately wanted the uad 4k to sound better than the waves ssl but it wasn"t close to me. I really wanted to get the 4k cause I have plenty of power. Waves is the winner.IMHO, OF COURSE!!heh
Old 1st January 2010
Gear Addict

I asked SSL what the difference is between the various SSL plugins, and he said the name. They should be the same.
Old 2nd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscannon View Post
I asked SSL what the difference is between the various SSL plugins, and he said the name. They should be the same.
how could they be the same if each companies' modelling techniques and programming are different? They are not even modelling the same consoles. The duende is a direct port from their digital c200. the waves is modelled after a 4000, and the UA- i'm not sure what that's modelled on. There are way too many variables.

I came up and worked w/ ssl consoles everyday for years. waves is the closest but I like the duende sound a little more (but the bugs keep me away). The ua 4k sounds good like all ua stuff, but it doesn't sound like an ssl 4000.

They all sound good, it's just a matter of personal taste.
Old 2nd January 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
lol...

they are not the same. they all sound different.
Old 2nd January 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post

ns
Old 2nd January 2010
Lives for gear

I have demoed both UAD 4K and Waves SSL. I prefer the UAD. YMMV. If you already have a UAD2 card, demo it and see how it suits your mixing style.
Old 2nd January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
how could they be the same?
I don't know. I don't make plugins, I just asked the guy at SSL what the difference was.
Old 2nd January 2010
Gear Maniac

Definately the UAD sounds better then Waves... just my 2 cnts
Old 3rd January 2010
Gear Head

UAD 4K
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Its all personal opinion on what you like the best but Waves sounds the most like the real deal.
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

To me, EQ boosts sound like they have wider slopes with Waves than they do on the UAD, at similar settings.

The dynamics section has to be driven a bit harder with Waves than they do on the UAD, to get similar effects. So I like the UAD better here.

But the Buss Compressor sounds better to me with Waves, especially when you want to hear the compressor working.

It's a wash, I guess. Depends what your priorities are.
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

I have both the Waves SSL and the UAD SSL plugs and prefer the UAD.
Old 5th January 2010
Gear Addict

Not a big fan of waves, but I did demo both and ultimately went with the UAD 4K. Not sure which is closer to the "real thing", but in my set-up... the 4K sounded best to my ears. Almost reached for a Duende, but didn't like some of the answers I was getting from SSL support on questions of compatibility. Long story short... I'm pleased with my choice to go for the UAD 4K.
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

it's beyond me how somehow could do a mix using both both waves and uad, and not hear the very, very obvious difference.
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
haven't heard duende, but uad and waves ssl are really, really different. the uad preserves and adds heft to the low end of a mix, the waves does not.
Old 11th February 2010
Gear Maniac

I prefer Uad 4K.
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry I only just re-read the thread
Dual boot with two sparate drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thangelz View Post
off topic: are you dual booting from separate drives or the same drive? any problems with the dual boot?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear