The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone tried LogicAutoSave.app?
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Anyone tried LogicAutoSave.app?

Hi

I have really had it up to *here* with Logic (Pro 8) crashing at weird moments. When in the creative zone you sometimes forget to cmd-S and half an hours work can be nearly an entire song or important burst of creativity when you're 'going for it'. You can say it's 'my fault for not remembering to save', but that's bollocks when other software gives you the option for an autosave.

Right now i was just doing a 'redo' and for the first time ever, got this error: http://img10.yfrog.com/img10/9462/yge.png

Which corrupted my Logic file so i couldn't open it (i can disable all audio stuff and launch logic, yes). Great. One of the old backup files (seem to be randomly generated?) at least salvages some of the work.

The autosave feature in Logic 8 is a joke (project backup? huh? the backup file is more out of date than the corrupted original.)

Anyway, this software seems to work as advertised, although a feature like 'don't save when recording' would be great, because clearly Apple don't care to give us the option for a nice autosave like Cubase or ProTools, which have quite intelligent auto backup/save features. I am about to buy Logic 9, but i see that the autosave feature has barely changed.

So, anyone use the autosave app? Does it mess things up if you're tracking/composing/playing back? Logic can be quite temperamental when saving during playback or recording... i'm sure i've had the audacity to try to save during playback before, only to end up on my ass. It's made by John Pitcairn who used to post on OSXAudio - John, do you post here?

Thanks for any help. Right now i've lost all inspiration and am going to go home and sulk.

Eddie
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

I've used it, still do sometimes. It works well. I recommend it. Just don't leave it on when you go to lunch as it can overwrite your limited # of back ups, which logic graciously saves for you. that is the way to go when a file is corrupted, just make sure you get the most recently dated one. I believe the new Logic 9 has given us back the ability to increase the number of these back ups. I think L8 was limited to 10.

HTH,
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks Max. Can you tell me when the automatic backups are created? Is it that when you save (manually), it creates a backup of the previous version, or something?

Thanks
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear