The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FabFilter Pro-Q Equalizer Plugins
Old 3rd May 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTI View Post
(( vacuumsound )) here is a RIAA eq.
Of course your Numark has it also.

Matti
Very cool. I'm recording using cool edit pro , I'm not sure how I can apply this RIAA patch to effect the waveform for cd buring. I dont listen through my PC.
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Its a Vst plugin like the Fabfilter Pro-Q and thus needs a Vst host.

Matti
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
I used fabfilter and I didn't like it. It's very nice to use, but it sounds like a standard EQ and can be made to null with most cheap stock EQs. It has the standard problem most have in the high end, warping the curve to run away screaming from Mr. Nyquist.
It's perfect for 88.1 or 96k, but at 44.1, there are sonic tradeoffs.
More info here:
Bull****. Either you have a screwed up measuring system or then the copy of Pro-Q you tried was buggy. You can clearly see in Christian Budde's VST plugin analyzer (which is a precise measuring and debugging tool) that none of the frequency response curves are warped like a "standard digital filter". This is true for all basic sample rates. Even the steepest 48dB/octave filter at ridiculously tight resonance/Q settings doesn't warp around nyquist (seen in the analyzer as simply "vanishing" past nyquist).

You can also measure the harmonic distortion and aliasing and quickly conclude that is extremely clean and very well implemented plugin (running 64bit float internally afaik). I do agree with you that EQuality is extremely nice as well and has the benefit of the true analogue phase response thing in the curves (unique to any digital EQ as far as I know) and that Dave is a genious but that doesn't invalidate or make Pro-Q "cheap" or "basic" EQ in any form at all. If you insist I can create a blind test for you, matching EQuality and Pro-Q and we'll see how accurately you'll do the guessing.

EDIT: smoother post.. and lots of grammar corrections.

- bManic
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

i really like the pro-q. easy to use and great features. fabfilter is a great company, it's worth checking out the comp, twin and timeless as well imo.
Old 24th July 2010
Amazing Stuff!!

I'm playing around with Pro-Q and Pro-C; it is the best digital EQ that I own (to my ears). And that interface, is like a gift from above.

These days, I'm rarely tempted to break out my old favorite CD's, and play the game of remolding the "tone" of the tracks... but Pro-Q and Pro-C made this a FUN experiment once again.

For me, I find that the Pro-C and Pro-Q interfaces make it much easier (than others I own), to translate what I'm 'thinking' things should sound like, into what I'm actually hearing.

The work-flow of these two plugins is very intuitive; conducive to the ART I'm seeking to create.

P.S. Anyone who owns "Chicago 18" (1986), play around with it on that CD; it's a lot of fun.
Old 24th July 2010
Lives for gear

The Fabsters have a nice bundle sale going on until the end of this month:

FabFilter Online Shop
Old 18th October 2010
Lives for gear

Anybody compare this to the Logic stock EQ? I tried the demo and it seems to be similar, although more flexible. Just wondering if it has anything else on the Logic EQ. In terms of clean EQs, I have the Sonnox one as well, but that at least has different built-in curves emulating analog models.
Old 18th October 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducktailjiver View Post
you see..I just wanna record some vinyl to my PC and I'm using a Numark DM 950 with usb but the book doesnt say whether or not it has a built in RIAA curve and I can't find any info either way...getting mad about it to. Im ready to record!!
Download the "Equalizer" from the Audio Restoration website. Equalizer has preset RIAA curves and other eq curves for different records, plus it's free.
Old 18th October 2010
pro q is the best eq i've tried.
it is my go to eq + the GUI is so smart and easy.
it is a really TIME SAVER + you can tweak "default" preset for your needs!
Old 12th April 2011
Administrator

From Fabfilter website (ref updates):

April 12th, 2011

"All FabFilter plug-ins updated, new Pro-Q features
FabFilter has released updates for all plug-ins, adding great new features to the Pro-Q EQ plug-in and the Timeless 2 delay plug-in, next to general improvements and bug fixes. New in FabFilter Pro-Q are an intelligent solo mode, a notch filter type and spectrum analyzer improvements, while FabFilter Timeless 2 has got a new wide interface layout option. Finally, all effect plug-ins now support the Pro Tools AudioSuite format, in addition to RTAS.

The updated plug-ins are fully compatible with previous versions, free for existing FabFilter customers, and now available on all formats and platforms: VST/VST 3, AU, RTAS/AS, Windows and Mac OS X, 32-bit and 64-bit. Updates and 30-day trial versions can be downloaded from FabFilter Download.

New features and bug fixes in FabFilter Pro-Q:

- Added a notch filter type to cut very narrow bands in the frequency spectrum. Double-clicking in the bottom of the EQ display creates a notch band immediately.

- Added an intelligent solo mode for EQ bands. Click and hold the solo button (in the parameter value display) to enter solo mode for the current EQ band. Now, you don't hear the effect of the EQ band itself, but instead you will hear the part of the frequency spectrum that is being affected by that band. Of course, the frequency range depends on the frequency and Q settings, and is visualized in the display as well.

- Improved the built-in spectrum analyzer with smoother curves, a combined Pre+Post mode and customizable resolution and speed settings, accessible via the Analyzer drop-down menu in the bottom bar of the plug-in.

- Added a 3dB display range, useful for mastering purposes.

- Added a small output level and clipping indicator in the bottom bar.

- Improved the EQ display's rollover behavior: the parameter value display is now shown much earlier when you approach an EQ curve point, making it easier to view the band's settings and use the new solo button.

- Fixed possible audible "plops" when selecting a different filter shape in an EQ band.

- Fixed bug when Shift-dragging multiple selected points: this could accidentally deselect some of the points.

New features in FabFilter Timeless 2:

- Added a new "wide" layout for the interface that eliminates scrolling in the component display in the top half of the plug-in. The resize button in the lower-right corner of the interface chooses between normal and wide layouts.

- You can now change the default value of the Dry Enabled parameter, simply by clicking Options > Save As Default in the presets menu. This is useful for example if you always happen to use Timeless 2 as a send effect.

Other new features and bug fixes:

- In addition to the RTAS format, all effect plug-ins are now also available in the AudioSuite format for Pro Tools as well.

- All plug-ins are now Unicode-aware and correctly handle international characters on both Windows and Mac OS X, for example in preset folders and file names.

- Improved the way parameter values with custom ranges and transforms are shown by Audio Unit hosts and Pro Tools (e.g. for automation purposes).

- Added a Deauthorize option to the plug-in's Help menu, which makes it easy to delete your license key from a computer if needed.

- In Twin 2 and Timeless 2: fixed bug that could cause the XLFO to run out of sync after a while.

- In Twin 2 and Timeless 2: fixed bug that caused the XLFO Phase Offset parameter to work incorrectly in combination with random steps. Also improved sonic behavior when dragging the phase offset across its "circular" boundary.

- In Twin 2 and Timeless 2: Improved mouse wheel scrolling and editing behavior.

- In Pro-C and Pro-L: It's now possible to enter positive values in the parameter value display for knobs with a negative-only range (like Threshold or Output Level). So for example, typing "0.3" will also result in "-0.3 dB".

- Fixed incorrect redrawing in the plug-in interface that could occur in some cases in Pro Tools on Mac, for example when selecting from the Pro Tools-provided presets menu in the plug-in header.

- Fixed bug that caused the help file to open only in the first instance of the plug-in."
Old 12th April 2011
cool! pro-q now have auto-listen feature!
it needs solo button for mid(side) mode
Old 12th July 2011
nms
Lives for gear

ok.. I'm really loving these guys now.

Pro-L became my fav limiter hands down.. and now Pro-Q looks to become my go-to EQ. I'm not that EQ crazy generally as so many are and I use Ableton's EQ more than any other.. but I think the tide has just changed!
Giving credit where it's due.. Fabfilter, you guys are doing some killer work over there!
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear

i think i may have found a bug(?) with Pro-Q and wanted some one to confirm it.
my test for it is HERE.
could some one please try that test and give me the results?
edit: this may be a Logic (and Reaper) bug/problem...don't know for sure what's going on...
thnkx,
da' stank
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers View Post
i think i may have found a bug(?) with Pro-Q and wanted some one to confirm it.
haha of course you did!
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by claesbjo View Post
haha of course you did!
Fab Filter Pro-Q linear phase maximum latency

source: DC @ -6dBFS, 44.1 kHz
HPF: 20 Hz, 6dB/oct

edit: this is not specific to this source or conditions. similar results with different source/filter/latency.
Attached Thumbnails
FabFilter Pro-Q-ffpq.jpg  
Old 25th August 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric View Post
Great interface.

I wish it could do 2x upsampling.
EQ curves don't cramp even at 44.1 or 48KHz, and there are no non-linearities to cause aliasing. So oversampling would just increase CPU use with no improvement in the sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search