The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FabFilter Pro-Q Equalizer Plugins
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear
I'm digging the interface like everyone else. But I also like the sound. And now that I'm trying to run Harrison Mixbus (which does not have latency compensation on added buses), I'm really appreciating the Pro-Q's zero latency mode. All Fabfilter's stuff that I have is zero latency. Also, Pro-Q is light on the CPU which is great on the Harrison Mixbus because one CPU disappears really fast, especially if you've gotten used to using 8 cores.
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah this is a gem to work with. I can get the results I want SO FAST with this thing. Only a few days left in my demo period...and then????
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Buy it!

I've been comparing this to the Flux and Sonnox in minimum-phase, and to my ears, it's just as good. I haven't really even investigated the LP implementations, yet.
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Outstanding EQ!
Old 12th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
Buy it!

I've been comparing this to the Flux and Sonnox in minimum-phase, and to my ears, it's just as good. I haven't really even investigated the LP implementations, yet.
I probably will just because I really want to support devs who GET IT RIGHT!

plug designers should take notes on this:

GUI - clean, crisp, easy to see/read, uncluttered
WORKFLOW - fast, intuitive
CPU/MEMORY use - loads fast, minimum drain
SONICS - excellent
STABILITY - solid as a rock on my system
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley View Post
I probably will just because I really want to support devs who GET IT RIGHT!
Indeed... I kind of stumbled upon the reality of FabFilter earlier this year. I'd seen there stuff before that and almost got in on the Logic Users group buy sometime back. I also took note of their compressor when it came out.

But, it took them putting their little One synth on sale for a few dollars to get me to try. It's okay for what it does, although I'd probably not thought it much of a deal at full price. Then came the Creative bundle for cheap via MacUpdate... wow!

I got a hefty discount on Simplon by filling out a survey. So, I now have five of their plug-ins for a very small investment. Their progressive discount system gets me a really good deal on the EQ and/or compressor.

Also, be aware that they actually lowered their prices earlier this year. I'll finish off the set at some point, but I think I'm going for the special deal on the Sonnox Elite bundle... mainly for plug-ins other than the EQ.

FabFilter will have to wait for my finances to catch up. I do really like their stuff, even though synths, filters, delays and even comps are kind of second-string for me. I do use EQ's all the time, and I foresee Pro-Q being my go-to.
Old 13th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H View Post
Just playing with this now (at home on headphones).

AMAZING interface! - real smooth, good design.

Looking forward to trying this in the studio.
Be sure to let us know what you think after get to use it in the studio!
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric View Post
Be sure to let us know what you think after get to use it in the studio!
Why !!!! can you not demo it yourself ?
Old 13th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Why !!!! can you not demo it yourself ?
Um????

Yes I have been. I really like this plugin and have already spoken about the aspects I like in this very thread.

That being said its always cool to hear others opinions about stuff. It's basically what this forum is all about. Get constructive conversation going regarding the topic at hand.

Its like reading a CD review, movie review, restaurant review, etc.

Ultimately you take it with a grain of salt and judge for yourself.

Now if you actually want to positively contribute to this thread please chime in and let everyone know what YOU think.
Old 14th December 2009
Gear Maniac

This plugin is insanely good. The interface is amazing. I love how easy it is to just drag another band and to have so many at your fingertips in one plug is great.
Old 13th March 2010

Been demoing this and the compressor and comparing them to my UAD.

This eq will now become my standard native channel eq. Looks amazing, works a treat and the sound is as good as any.

Comparing to my UAD cambridge and precision eq and this eq matched the sound of them perfectly but is native and is a big gui.

Recommend a demo.

Also the compressor is very versitile and while my UAD 1176 has a great sound, this was very close but sounded cleaner, again great for a native channel compressor and vey flexible aswell.

Old 28th April 2010
Here for the gear

best settings?

Hi Guys, new here
I'm using this EQ to spruce up some older poorly mastered cd's and give them a little more flavor. I'm fairly familiar with EQ's but what some master advice. I was wondering what would be some good settings to apply to an already mixed song. I have my low boost set at 150.00 HZ with 1.50db gain and 0.300 Q. The high boost is set at 6000.0 HZ, gain 2.00 and Q the same as low. Its the Q that's throwing me off. Is 0.300 good for a mastered mix? Thanks for any advice

Duck
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

I don't recall ever posting about a new EQ. I have been demo'ing this for a couple of hours and must say the FabFliter Pro-Q is a fantastic tool! And whomever said the developers "got it right", is 100% correct (IMO).

Demo, then a purchase here.
Old 28th April 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducktailjiver View Post
Hi Guys, new here
I'm using this EQ to spruce up some older poorly mastered cd's and give them a little more flavor. I'm fairly familiar with EQ's but what some master advice. I was wondering what would be some good settings to apply to an already mixed song. I have my low boost set at 150.00 HZ with 1.50db gain and 0.300 Q. The high boost is set at 6000.0 HZ, gain 2.00 and Q the same as low. Its the Q that's throwing me off. Is 0.300 good for a mastered mix? Thanks for any advice

Duck
What you're asking is for someone to colour correct a picture that he's never seen.
It makes abslolutely no sense sharing EQ settings for unknown material. Everything depends on the original files. If you'd like EQ advice, you'd have to post (snippets of) these.
Welcome by the way..
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Nut

Been my go-to utility EQ for 6 months

For what it's worth, I picked this up and have been using it as my go-to utility EQ for 6 months. In that time, the only feature I wish it had was a slightly better frequency analyzer and the ability to zoom in/out on the main curve window.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

I opted for EQuality first, but I still intend to get Pro-Q for some non-overlapping features.
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Addict

Exclamation

The Fabfilter guys are friggin geniuses imho. Pro-C and Pro-Q are kick ass, and Timeless 2 is imho the only native delay that can stand toe to toe with Echoboy. imho
Old 29th April 2010
I bought this today and I'm really blown away. I'm kinda tired of "vintage" emulations and this this EQ is just doing exactly what you would expect it to.
Old 29th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
I bought this today and I'm really blown away. I'm kinda tired of "vintage" emulations and this this EQ is just doing exactly what you would expect it to.
Couldn't agree with you more!
thumbsup
Old 29th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
I feel you! But i think it's the combination of both, which makes mixing with plugins interesting!

I like to have both, a clean EQ like the Sonnox or the Flux Epure or the Fabfilter Prof-Q AND something like the IK TRacks Pultec or the PSP Squad Bundle. Both have their places and it really depends on what i want to achive, when i pick one of my EQs.

The workflow of the Pro-Q ist so great and i really like its sound and versabillity, but sometimes a little twist with the Pultec or one of the PSP EQs just gets me a faster result, than trying to get "that curve" with a clean EQ. Sometimes it can be also helpful to have limited control, like with the API EQs or with the Softtube EQs. Again i need both, but i definitely don't want to miss a good clean EQ with such an amzing feature-set like the Pro-Q has.
Old 29th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmolemon View Post
I feel you! But i think it's the combination of both, which makes mixing with plugins interesting!

I like to have both, a clean EQ like the Sonnox or the Flux Epure or the Fabfilter Prof-Q AND something like the IK TRacks Pultec or the PSP Squad Bundle. Both have their places and it really depends on what i want to achive, when i pick one of my EQs.

The workflow of the Pro-Q ist so great and i really like its sound and versabillity, but sometimes a little twist with the Pultec or one of the PSP EQs just gets me a faster result, than trying to get "that curve" with a clean EQ. Sometimes it can be also helpful to have limited control, like with the API EQs or with the Softtube EQs. Again i need both, but i definitely don't want to miss a good clean EQ with such an amzing feature-set like the Pro-Q has.
Of course, and I'm sure I'm in the throes of "just-purchased-bliss". I'm not getting rid of my sQuad stuff, my URS N4 or the Nomad NEQ by any means.

I'm finding that I'm using both on the same sources; a "character" EQ for the broad strokes and the Pro-Q to notch specific frequencies that the too-broad, stepped settings of the other EQs may not be able to hit.
Old 29th April 2010
Gear Addict

I use this plug for 3 month now. I have all those UAD Neves and Pultecs but >90% i use the Pro-Q. Equalizing was never so easy for me.
Sometimes i reach for the Cambridge as my "hard" EQ sometimes for the UAD Pultecs.
I even touch my TOFT ATB24 channel EQs less and less. Also a Drawmer 1961 inserted in the Toft vocal channels is not busy very much (dispite i'm one of those people liking the 1961 - but i'm lazy and Pro-Q is os easy).

Only the Hammer on my 2-bus is always active.

This was my first FabFilter plug and it is clearly the best plug i ever bought!
Maybe i should try their compressor when i find time.

But i have toooooo many plugs already, most of them sleeping all the time.

Nevertheless: Thank you FabFilter!!!! You made my life easier!
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Head

I was very impressed with the FF Pro-Q (crazy smooth, very powerful, love the analyzer and M/S features), but decided to try the Pro-C comp as well since there was a bundle price for both that was very tempting - almost 25% off. A few minutes with the comp made it a no-brainer. It's another home-run product, and does things no other comp I have can do (like M/S and a scrolling graphic multi-display). Amazing stuff, both of 'em. I've got a tom of other high end plugs, but these have a place all their own.

Outstanding sound and great features...
Old 3rd May 2010
TC5
Lives for gear

Right. After watching the video, I think this will go in the "to buy" list. The interface is so good it would be worth it I think just for that even though I already have the Flux EQ. The spectrum analyzer feature is great too and missing on the Flux.
Old 3rd May 2010
Here for the gear

RIAA Curve

I wish someone would make an RIAA Curve for Fab Q. Has anyone made one yet? MaxQ
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

I used fabfilter and I didn't like it. It's very nice to use, but it sounds like a standard EQ and can be made to null with most cheap stock EQs. It has the standard problem most have in the high end, warping the curve to run away screaming from Mr. Nyquist.
It's perfect for 88.1 or 96k, but at 44.1, there are sonic tradeoffs.
More info here:

EQ Filter Comparison

I'm using DMG Audio EQuality and I like it tons better. No messing with the high end, and it's (almost!) as nice to use.
Do the tests (it's easy with Logic Match EQ or any other measuring tool) and you'll see what I mean.
The interface is very nice to use, though...
Old 3rd May 2010
Here for the gear

HUmm good to know. well then, can you recommend a good RIAA curve plug-in or setting in a good eq..thanks
Old 3rd May 2010
Here for the gear

you see..I just wanna record some vinyl to my PC and I'm using a Numark DM 950 with usb but the book doesnt say whether or not it has a built in RIAA curve and I can't find any info either way...getting mad about it to. Im ready to record!!
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducktailjiver View Post
you see..I just wanna record some vinyl to my PC and I'm using a Numark DM 950 with usb but the book doesnt say whether or not it has a built in RIAA curve and I can't find any info either way...getting mad about it to. Im ready to record!!
Just EQ the sound until it doesn't suck.
Or google RIAA curve and copy that. It's not that hard.
It's fairly obvious when something hasn't been eqed properly, and I can bet it will be built in anyway...
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

(( vacuumsound )) here is a RIAA eq.
Of course your Numark has it also.

Matti

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search