The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Setting Up Your Mac For Recording
Old 12th November 2009
Here for the gear

Setting Up Your Mac For Recording

I know there are a lot of tweaks you can make on a Windows based pc to set up your computer for recording. I'm talking about turning off all the unnecessary little things Windows has when just installed.
Some examples: setting the visual effects to minimum, no background image, no fast user switching, no hibernation, no system sounds, no automatic updates, no error reporing, no internet connection, fixed swap file, speed up menus and a lot more specific things you can switch off/change so the only thing left is a fast, clean, no-nonsense pc ready for recording.
Now, my question is, what can you do with a mac when setting it up for recording? Some of the things above you can easily do on a mac too, like no background image. But the more advanced, internal things are harder to do.

So my question, any tips on setting up a mac for recording by tweaking it?
Old 13th November 2009
Here for the gear

turn it on.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrgentMW View Post
turn it on.
Old 13th November 2009
Not really anything to do mate! Its unix based, it runs its own diagnostics scripts automatically. You don't need to optimizes your disks either.

You might want to turn off Time Machine temporarily if your recording a lot of tracks at the same time, thats about it. And obviously you might want to turn off things like skype while your recording so it doesn't interrupt things.

Old 13th November 2009
24hr clock on.

Energy saver settings off.

Auto update off.

That's about it.
Old 13th November 2009
journaling?
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Turn Airport off while recording or mixing.
Old 13th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
journaling?
If you have your audio files on a separate partition or drive, it can be disabled for that specific partition / drive to get better performance.

I would not turn off journaling for the drive that carries the OS.

Do a search, there was an incredibly helpful thread by Lagerfeldt that gave a pretty complete overview of how to tweak your OS. All advice given so far in this thread is also found there, and plentily more.
Old 13th November 2009

Found it... the second post in this thread:

Website for optimizing computer performance for Audio
Old 13th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp99 View Post
Found it... the second post in this thread:

Website for optimizing computer performance for Audio
Thanks for the replies. It seems you have a lot more to tweak on a pc than on a mac
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile View Post
Thanks for the replies. It seems you have a lot more to tweak on a pc than on a mac
That's certainly true. That said, my XP machine boots up with a RAM footprint < 130 MB (with everything enabled, turned on, ready to go for everyday life -- I only have one set up for my machine -- which cost $404 [refurbed] before adding a monitor, FW and extra drives -- but I do recording, video editing, graphics, web and database developing and design, and get all my entertainment on my PC). At rest, my system latency runs in the 15-30 microsecond range. So, you know, it's all about tradeoffs.

Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

all the above and set the hard disk sleep to never.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Generally if I am gigging or critical recording I turn off my screensaver, sleep, and WiFi. Remember to repair your permissions every so often. Thats about it.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Summing up the things of the thread:
  • 24hr clock on.
  • Energy saver settings off
  • Auto update off
  • Turn Airport off while recording or mixing SAME for Bluetooth
  • Journaling:
If you have your audio files on a separate partition or drive, it can be disabled for that specific partition / drive to get better performance.
I would not turn off journaling for the drive that carries the OS
  • set the hard disk sleep to never
More things?
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

What has been said and from there it might depend on the particular DAW that you are using .
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb415 View Post
Turn Airport off while recording or mixing.
I've be doing that , although I don't know a specific reason for doing so ...
LOL
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear