The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Building a Core 2 Quad now?
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Building a Core 2 Quad now?

Now that the i5 and i7 are out, I am considering building a cheap Core 2 Quad machine as the prices drop. Basically just buying a new motherboard and CPU.

Can anyone recommend a good mother board + CPU combo that's cheap now?

It needs to have a TI firewire chip because I will be using it for Pro Tools only.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

The folks/post on Digi DUC would be a great start for info. Some are also here on GS.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukas View Post
Now that the i5 and i7 are out, I am considering building a cheap Core 2 Quad machine as the prices drop. Basically just buying a new motherboard and CPU.

It needs to have a TI firewire chip because I will be using it for Pro Tools only.
same cost (other than having to buy DDR3 ram) so why would you?
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Addict

I'm very interested in this as well. I'll just be running Sonar 8.5 in it with a Powercore Firewire/UAD-2 Quad & PCI RME Digiface.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Looking to go cheap on the MB. I'll need the standard 3 PCI-e slots with 1 or 2 PCI slots.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...rodlist=search

I don't think you can beat the price and quality of this motherboard.

PCI-E x16 slots 1
PCI-E x1 slots 4
PCI Slots 2
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:

intel mb & 6600 or higher cpu
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

I just did the same thing, replaced just the MB, CPU and memory.
I went with a Asus P5Q-Turbo and an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450.
It's been a good investment for me.

Quote:

Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...rodlist=search

I don't think you can beat the price and quality of this motherboard.

PCI-E x16 slots 1
PCI-E x1 slots 4
PCI Slots 2
Thanks!
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiant View Post
Thanks!
You're welcome. I would pair it with an RME PCI-E card. My latency is steady at 2us with my RME 9632 and the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R. That's extroadinary.
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

I'd liek to see what you end up spending, because, honestly...parting out a new system, I came up with the "why bother"?

The C2Quad mobos only had 4 RAM slots, right?

If I remove the cost of HDs and case, etc that would be common to all...I want to say it was like $800 for a i7 930/12gb/mobo...and like $600 for a C2Quad/16gb(because with dual it's 8 or 16)/mobo. So, when you add in the rest of the cost of the machine...it ended up being something like $1500 for the i7 versus $1300 for the C2Quad. Given that kind of cash outlay, and the benchmarks for sampling that the i7 systems have...how long I keep computers in service says I should spend the couple hundred more.

I think it might be a little more favorable if you don't need the big ram...if you are just doing audio and 4gb will you fine...the C2quad might work out cheaper.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Maniac

I'm doing the same thing. I just picked up a Intel DP35DPM and am looking at the Q9300. Plan on a Win 7/64 OS and throwing it into a rackmount. It might be a few weeks before it all comes together, but I'll keep you posted. Wish us luck.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Do you guys not need the 64bit RAM access?

My point is, once you put 8-12gb in it, it's almost as much as a new i7 with 12gb, which should spank it up and down for sample playback.

I suppose if I could live with 4gb, I'd do that in a heartbeat. But, I HAVE 4gb, and have banged my head on that ceiling for years, so...
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Maniac

I really don't do a ton of tracks and am looking at adding a UAD-2 so I was thinking that would take care of me for a couple years. Please let me know if I'm nutz for going this route.

I'm only into it $60 for the board right now.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Number of tracks doesn't matter...if you're not using big virtual instruments--that's what needs the RAM.

You'll be fine. I'm mixing some 30 track + some VIs with a full compliment of third party compressors/EQs on my old P4 2.6 right now. I do have some external reverbs, though, to aid the CPU...anyway--if I can pull that off with a 512 buffer and the audio (but not samples) coming from the system drive...you'll be fine.

I envy people who just use the PC for audio only. Just pay $60 for Reaper...stay on 32 bit OS...you could probably just hit Craigslist...I saw a Core2 Quad w/8gb and a 1TB HD selling for $700--hand built w/Asus mobo, etc...some Dell C2Duos w/1-2gb selling for $250...seriously--if you can't produce good mixes on those, no computer will help-you know?
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks popmann. I'll just go see what I can do on a build. It's a project I've always wanted to do anyway. I'm on a P4 2.8HT now, and doing OK, but I'm out of buses for the outboard I'm looking at.
Old 24th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by limey222 View Post
I just did the same thing, replaced just the MB, CPU and memory.
I went with a Asus P5Q-Turbo and an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450.
It's been a good investment for me.
I'm running a Core 2 Quad Q6600 on an ASUS P5QL Pro board, 4gigs of crucial ballistix ddr2, great system, really stable.
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16
2 x PCIe x1
3 x PCI

I only built this system last May and it has been a great upgrade over my P4 system. It has plenty of power, and I was still running fairly large sessions on my P4. If it's the same price to go I5 or I7 go nuts but a quad system will give you more than enough power to do big projects.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear