The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New build cpu/mobo question
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

New build cpu/mobo question

About 6-8 months ago, I started to accumulate the parts for a new daw. Well the project got postponed, and now I'm ready to go. As I have not yet bought the mobo/cpu/memory yet, I thought time would be on my side with price/performance ratio. I originally planned for Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, and an intel core 2 quad Q9550. However I find now, 8 months later that the price is basically the same. Is there now something else (pretty much set on gigabyte and intel), with a better price/performance ratio? Or should I bump up to the gigabyte EX58-UD3R and intel i7 920 bloomfield 2.66mhz? Although the latter is really more then I want to spend. This machine will be running Samp 11 on Win7 and not much else. Thanks in advance.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
About 6-8 months ago, I started to accumulate the parts for a new daw. Well the project got postponed, and now I'm ready to go. As I have not yet bought the mobo/cpu/memory yet, I thought time would be on my side with price/performance ratio. I originally planned for Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, and an intel core 2 quad Q9550. However I find now, 8 months later that the price is basically the same. Is there now something else (pretty much set on gigabyte and intel), with a better price/performance ratio? Or should I bump up to the gigabyte EX58-UD3R and intel i7 920 bloomfield 2.66mhz? Although the latter is really more then I want to spend. This machine will be running Samp 11 on Win7 and not much else. Thanks in advance.
The extra 30 bucks or so is WELL WORTH IT for the 920..... Do it, do it, do it
And the UD3R with it is the right choice..... and its less than 50 bucks more
So for the whole thing you spend less then 100 bucks more and you'll have one of the fastest things out
Old 13th November 2009
Here for the gear

This is my first post but I'm not necessarily new to the internet...

I never mean to step on anyone's toes so to speak but if you are going to be building a *new* DAW? Go with the best you can afford:

i7 2.66 920.
Sure, currently for technical reasons DDR3 memory isn't blistering fast(er) than DDR2, but down the line it sure will be, but this is besides the point.

You don't *need* 1600mhz memory unless you are a sampling megaGod who needs all of the extra throughput he can get is hands on....save $$$

I run an i7 with 12GB of RAM and it runs at 1066, which is cheaper RAM than 1600 and the key to RAM or speed is stability above all else.

Don't take steps backward IF you can afford the i7 quad cores...The differences can be monumental and could alleviate work flow constraints found in lesser processors such as the C2Q/C2E's.

However to some (and myself) the name of the game is:
Buy the fastest computer you can for the money you have available...

The differences in price are very negligible for those CPU's mentioned, but in the end it's what you want and what you will be happy with.
The differences in performance? A wide gap approaches....
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks Guys. I feel you make some good points. It is less than 100usd difference, and the price difference for the ddr3 vs ddr2 seems negligible. At least I think so because I find memory selection somewhat confusing. I hope Samp 11 will like this system. Now onto 64bit os or stick with 32?
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Thanks Guys. I feel you make some good points. It is less than 100usd difference, and the price difference for the ddr3 vs ddr2 seems negligible. At least I think so because I find memory selection somewhat confusing. I hope Samp 11 will like this system. Now onto 64bit os or stick with 32?
For a heavy sampling VST definitely 64-bit IF Samplitude is a 64-bit compatible environment. Using more than 4gb of RAM can be a great performance increase and VST sampling , more than any other audio function, really eats that RAM.
Even if Samplitude doesn't run 64-bit, It will still be accessing a full 4gb with a 4+ gb windows environment as opposed to having 2.XXgb of RAM available to it in a 32-bit windows environment

My advice to anyone is if all of your hardware and software choices support 64-bit OS then go for it and don't look back
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

I think Samp is running on 64bit os, and I certainly would like it, but I just realized I'm still on a frontier designs dakota card. good card but no chance of 64 bit drivers
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Frontier Design Group

They have 64-bit drivers....
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3altruth View Post
Frontier Design Group

They have 64-bit drivers....
Yes thanks I just noticed this. If the frontier drivers are going to be solid on win7, then the build will be:
giga EX58-UD3R
INTEL I7 920
WIN7 64B

jury still out on memory. Thanks for all the help. greg
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

EX58 UD3R mixed reviews

lots of no so good gigabyte ex58 ud3r reviews on newegg. Any experience here with it?
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Personally, the reasons to go for Core i7 (I personally have a 920) are Hyperthreading, two x16 PCIe slots, then the ability to upgrade to >4 core systems sooner. You should also give Core i5 a shot, since they do run more efficiently than 920's, and have a better Turbo mode (except the 750) than the 920.

As for my motherboard, I use an Asrock X58 Extreme. I can't help you with the Gigabyte, but I have no problems with mine and it was easy to install. And there's no sacrifice in terms of memory slots (6 instead of 4). It's worth a look into (review).
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear