The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is your DPC Latency?
Old 12th November 2009
What is your DPC Latency?

What is your DPC latency?

DPC Latency Checker

I just built a budget daw with Gigabyte mobo and AMD Callisto 550 unlocked to four cores.

I am getting 14-15 us, with the highest recorded of 20 us.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnAMission View Post

DPC Latency Checker

I just built a budget daw with Gigabyte mobo and AMD Callisto 550 unlocked to four cores.

What OS? what devices do you have installed?
I get a tad more than that with the Gigabyte AM3 MOBO and Phenom II 965
If your cores are unlocked then thats pretty close to the same processor though....

Anything peaking under 1000 microseconds (1 millisecond) is still not the worst...
You really dont see issues til you get over a thousand microseconds
I am under 50 microseconds
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear
In XP32 about 7, in W764, about 100.
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3altruth View Post
What OS? what devices do you have installed?
I get a tad more than that with the Gigabyte AM3 MOBO and Phenom II 965
If your cores are unlocked then thats pretty close to the same processor though....

Anything peaking under 1000 microseconds (1 millisecond) is still not the worst...
You really dont see issues til you get over a thousand microseconds
I am under 50 microseconds
A fresh XP SP2 install. No optimizations, all windows processes still running. I was ABLE to unlock the other cores but did not OC yet.

Using an Echo Mia soundcard. Built in GPU and other peripherals.

Stable running prime 95 torture test. No DPC spikes at all.

This mobo:
Item List:

1 x ($114.99) MB GIGABYTE|GA-MA790GPT-UD3H RT - Retail
$114.99

Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Did you do any optimizations to get it that low?

I know 15 is not high, but what the heck.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

around 70 Β΅
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
A fresh XP SP2 install. No optimizations, all windows processes still running. I was ABLE to unlock the other cores but did not OC yet.

Using an Echo Mia soundcard. Built in GPU and other peripherals.

Stable running prime 95 torture test. No DPC spikes at all.

This mobo:
Item List:

1 x ($114.99) MB GIGABYTE|GA-MA790GPT-UD3H RT - Retail
$114.99

I have the same MOBO.... best AM3 audio MOBO ever
I'm using Win 7 though....
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

DPC Latency Checker

5-15 us here, exact number seems to depend on how long the computer's been running.

Anyone having problems with the DPC latency, always try disabling WLAN first
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

4-6 us with INTEL X58 Mobo and Corei7 CPU
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoPari View Post
5-15 us here, exact number seems to depend on how long the computer's been running.

Anyone having problems with the DPC latency, always try disabling WLAN first
Do you use Comodo Firewall ?
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankT34 View Post
4-6 us with INTEL X58 Mobo and Corei7 CPU
I hate myself for not buying an intel motherboard.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

If you have HPET event timer enabled in BIOS that can make some difference in Vista & Win7, but it won't necessarily show up in the DPC latency timer (depends on what drivers hook into it.)

Overall I get about 10-20us in Xp32 & 100-140us in Win7, and I actually feel like Win7-64 ("64bit"ness aside) gives better overall performance (and comparable latencies) with my aging RME Multiface+HDSP PCI card than Xp32 on an 8 Core Harpertown (Core2 Penryn era) Xeon running 2.66Ghz/1333 with 16GB ram. So the real use of the DPC latency checker is to find drivers that are causing extreme spikes, not to try to shoot for the lowest possible figure imo.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

7-10 us with Lynx AES16e on my i7 965
Attached Thumbnails
What is your DPC Latency?-dpclatency.jpg  
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
If you have HPET event timer enabled in BIOS that can make some difference in Vista & Win7, but it won't necessarily show up in the DPC latency timer (depends on what drivers hook into it.)

Overall I get about 10-20us in Xp32 & 100-140us in Win7, and I actually feel like Win7-64 ("64bit"ness aside) gives better overall performance (and comparable latencies) with my aging RME Multiface+HDSP PCI card than Xp32 on an 8 Core Harpertown (Core2 Penryn era) Xeon running 2.66Ghz/1333 with 16GB ram. So the real use of the DPC latency checker is to find drivers that are causing extreme spikes, not to try to shoot for the lowest possible figure imo.
Not sure I have seen event timer in Bios, I got ASUS Revolution.

Under what category would I find event timer, is it under CPU options ???

To disable Intel Speedstep in bios did improve my DPC with around 10Β΅, I hope I am able to find more DPC eaters.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post

Aging... more like "Amazing" or "Classic"
The only reason to upgrade to the PCIe is the lack of legacy PCI availability in the future
If my 1820m conked out tomorrow... I'd run straight to the Multiface or Multiface II
My ultimate upgrade path is the RME HDSPe Raydat with all Apogee converters
Old 14th November 2009
I was getting ~7-25 microseconds when I opened up DPC -- with 4 apps, including 2 browsers open to 11 different web pages, and Rhapsody streaming from the web. Spiked up into the 80s when the song changed, though.

Start flipping around windows and typing into a browser and... well... you can see why it pays to not have too much else going on on the side while you're doing serious recording, at least on a modest older machine like mine. At the worst it only got up to around 400 while I was tabbing back and forth between apps while songs were changing.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immersion View Post
Do you use Comodo Firewall ?
Nope, Zonealarm...
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I was getting ~7-25 microseconds when I opened up DPC -- with 4 apps, including 2 browsers open to 11 different web pages, and Rhapsody streaming from the web. Spiked up into the 80s when the song changed, though.

Start flipping around windows and typing into a browser and... well... you can see why it pays to not have too much else going on on the side while you're doing serious recording, at least on a modest older machine like mine. At the worst it only got up to around 400 while I was tabbing back and forth between apps while songs were changing.
I think your Apps don't really become a problem until you get to 1 millisecond DPC (1000 microseconds)
What do you think?
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
+1

Exactly the same. Not sure what they've done with W7, but it isn't pulling the right numbers next to XP.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Xp 32bit Sp3

EMU 0404 USB

About 13-25 running idle, 250-600 when running heavy sessions.

My laptop is not built for XP and is basically a "non-audio" laptop, but hey, it works for me. It just took about million hours to get probs solved...
Old 14th November 2009
Here for the gear

8us thats with an i7 (HT OFF) and a gigabyte board i can get it down to 5us but thats with disabling the onboard lan....

With multithread on it doubles to 16us.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Anything around 300 is very very usable, anything around 100 is perfect, anything lower is just a bonus that wont have any much of an impact.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermz View Post
+1

Exactly the same. Not sure what they've done with W7, but it isn't pulling the right numbers next to XP.
Interesting. I've seen similar reports elsewhere as well. Probably because there are more integrated processes (home A/V etc) as with Vista.

Maybe an n-Lite stripped version would do better? Hopefully we'll see some empirical data on this soon.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peejuu View Post
8us thats with an i7 (HT OFF) and a gigabyte board i can get it down to 5us but thats with disabling the onboard lan....

With multithread on it doubles to 16us.
It is madness to have HT turned off with I7. Everything I have seen indicate you get a huge performance boost with HT, especially on i7.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Every new OS is probably gonna theoretically use more resources than the previous OS (Except for the vista to Win7 comparison but we all know what happened there)
So yes Win7 uses more resources than XP... but not an ungodly amount.... especially for the stability and feature set it gives... under 100us is low enough that you don't have to give DPC latency another thought though....
I can't see the people with under 10us getting any noticeable performance increase compared to the under 50us crowd.... Thats .05 milliseconds compared to .01 milliseconds....
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3altruth View Post
Every new OS is probably gonna theoretically use more resources than the previous OS (Except for the vista to Win7 comparison but we all know what happened there)
So yes Win7 uses more resources than XP... but not an ungodly amount.... especially for the stability and feature set it gives... under 100us is low enough that you don't have to give DPC latency another thought though....
I can't see the people with under 10us getting any noticeable performance increase compared to the under 50us crowd.... Thats .05 milliseconds compared to .01 milliseconds....
R3, that's not correct. - not in the case of a system under heavy load, with a super-low HW buffer. Best as I can tell, (from personal experiments as well as research) Lowering the avg DPC activity can be the difference between a buffer crash or not, when a spike occurs.

I'm talking only about a system that's right on the edge, but that's exactly what I run in my live-performance pc's. - and crashing is not an option.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by speerchucker View Post
Interesting. I've seen similar reports elsewhere as well. Probably because there are more integrated processes (home A/V etc) as with Vista.

Maybe an n-Lite stripped version would do better? Hopefully we'll see some empirical data on this soon.
I'm curious to hear how Tiny W7 performs in this application. I've only run TinyXP since finding out about it and I've had a latency around 6 to 7uS.

In all honesty though I'm not sure how these numbers translate to the real world. I just wish there were a way to cut the fat on W7. As with all Windows OS', it just has too much accessibility crap crammed in, without enough emphasis on priority.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by speerchucker View Post
R3, that's not correct. - not in the case of a system under heavy load, with a super-low HW buffer. Best as I can tell, (from personal experiments as well as research) Lowering the avg DPC activity can be the difference between a buffer crash or not, when a spike occurs.

I'm talking only about a system that's right on the edge, but that's exactly what I run in my live-performance pc's. - and crashing is not an option.
If you're DPC latency is higher it might... you think someone with say 40us latency is gonna have issues and someone with 5-10us wont??? I haven't done any side by sides... but I can't see that being an issue... It would be interesting to test though
Old 14th November 2009
Is WinXP 64 bit the ultimate OS for audio?

I am on 32 bit which has memory limitation but works well for now. Wonder if you can still buy XP 64?
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quadcore 9X CPU
XP32 SP3

4us average

20us peak

TMY
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear