The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA Plugins , possibly native ? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

UA Plugins , possibly native ?

Ive just filled in a online Universal audio questionare they emailed me , and a few questions were quizing you about native.

Questions such as

1) would you buy native UA plugins ?

2) if there was a native equivalent of a UA plugin would you buy the native instead ?

Obviously i answered YES to both questions.

With questions like this i really do hope we see UA hitting the native market in the near future , as to be honest my UAD-2 broke for no reason after 9 months of use and since getting a replacement card ive not bought a single UA plugin as ive lost all faith in the reliability of the DSP dongle , however if UA native versions were available id 'fill my boots'
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I've always been hestant with DSP cards though I've been interested in some of their plugs.

Once they're native I'm in.
Old 11th November 2009
and it's better for the environment!
+1 for the green GS!
or is that +
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Once they're native, count me in too.

Toby
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I didn't get any e-mail from them .
May be they're randomizing ...
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Can't imagine they'd release native for at least 2 years, unless they're trying to piss off all the new UAD-2 owners.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius.media View Post
Can't imagine they'd release native for at least 2 years, unless they're trying to piss off all the new UAD-2 owners.
You mean, p*** off all customers, as you can than choose not only between native and dsp-powered, but also between payed or 'shared' ....

best
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I took the same poll and thought the same. I would be VERY happy if they went native.

Quote:
I would imagine the native plugs would be a bit more money.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Me too...even though I've got a UAD-2 quad, I do come close to maxing out my card on occasion. I've never even come close to maxing out my i7, however. I'd love to see native UAD plugs, and I told 'em so in the survey.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

that would be awesome.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I think if anything, what's going to happen is that UA will release native versions of effects, but not the same ones that run on the UAD-2; probably the ones that already run on the UAD-1 and are not supported in the UAD-2, like the Nigel.

Everyone acts like native effects don't crash systems. I can't imagine UA getting into the mess of making all of their effects native and dealing with the headaches of supporting all of the CPUs out here.

Before anyone says "they need to compete with Waves" or something crazy like that, please consider that UA makes hardware too, they're in a league of their own and I don't think these questions about native versions of UAD effects are anything more than them trying to find out what their users think about native versions, that's all.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post

I can't imagine UA getting into the mess of making all of their effects native and dealing with the headaches of supporting all of the CPUs out here.

Well their asking if you'd like native in their questionare , so they are obviously thinking seriously about going native.

afterall its only the same headaches their having now getting their UA cards to work on all motherboards.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ive owned 3 x UAD-1 in the past and currently own 1 UAD-1 & 1 UAD-2 Quad and going native wouldn't piss me off in the slightest , i very much welcome native versions.

I own a 8 core mac and dont like the idea of all my plugins being tied to a UAD-2 card that can break at any time , ive already had 1 UAD-2 Quad break on me.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

If they go native I'm quite sure those plug-in will be alot more than $149-$249 they r selling for now.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
please consider that UA makes hardware too, they're in a league of their own and I don't think these questions about native versions of UAD effects are anything more than them trying to find out what their users think about native versions, that's all.
I don't agree , i think they've looked at plugins like Softube Tube-tech and realised now native 'ilok' ain't being cracked theres a fantastic market outhere for UA native.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
If they go native I'm quite sure those plug-in will be alot more than $149-$249 they r selling for now.
Yes i assume they'll be on ilok , so ilok will take a percentage which i assume UA will add to the price of the plugin.
Old 11th November 2009
I wonder if they'll still actually require the card, but just use native processing. Sort of like the direction Duende has gone.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
I wonder if they'll still actually require the card, but just use native processing. Sort of like the direction Duende has gone.
That's probably more like it, I don't think UA will ever go 100% native, I would be very shocked if they took that turn and think people are just getting way too excited about these couple of questions about native effects on the survey (when I saw that last night, I shook my head and laughed a little bit because I knew that the next day, people were going to go "National Enquirer" about it).

I would expect SSL to ditch their Duende DSP (which they really haven't expanded, only made smaller) and go native before UA does.

EDIT: ...and if they ever do go Native w/iLok, I'm pretty sure the next day someone's going to make a post about how they're really not native and still need a dongle to run, blah blah blah...
Old 12th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
that would kind of defeat the purpose wouldn't it? all the hassle of having a PCIe card - no mobility, no use on laptops/imacs etc, but none of the processing benefits. Might as well just iLok it.

As for the comment that native = cracked...that's just a bit sily isn't it? people moan at PT LE being tied to hardware, but think it's great for UAD? talk about double standards.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

That would be great. I'd love to get UA plug-ins but i am not investing in expensive hardware to run plug-ins.
I also don't see the point of DSP cards now that computer CPU's have so much power and many developers are making fantastic native plug-ins.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

You can count me IN for sure without hesitation I swear!

Cheeers!

Go UAD, make it all possible!!!!
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Why would they need to use Ilok? Couldn't they just release their own USB dongle?

Computers are now at the point where they can handle any audio project, give it another couple of years and I doubt anyone would actually need a DSP card.
Old 12th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post
Why would they need to use Ilok? Couldn't they just release their own USB dongle?
If a company is going to use a hardware dongle, I for one would like them to use ilok. It works, it's centrally supported, there are insurance/coverage schemes in place...why a company would want to use their own bespoke system is beyond me. Ilok please
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Ilok please
never thought i'd see this, but theres always a first time for everything...
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Computers are now at the point where they can handle any audio project, give it another couple of years and I doubt anyone would actually need a DSP card.
You underestimate the ever increasing demands that newer plugs are making. You can always use more power. It's a corollary to Moore's law.

Last edited by Osumosan; 12th November 2009 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 12th November 2009
If they use ILok, I'm in. I'd love to get the fatso plugin for my mixes.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

It'll never happen, your misunderstanding the questions.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Ive just filled in a online Universal audio questionare they emailed me , and a few questions were quizing you about native.

Questions such as

1) would you buy native UA plugins ?

2) if there was a native equivalent of a UA plugin would you buy the native instead ?

Obviously i answered YES to both questions.

With questions like this i really do hope we see UA hitting the native market in the near future , as to be honest my UAD-2 broke for no reason after 9 months of use and since getting a replacement card ive not bought a single UA plugin as ive lost all faith in the reliability of the DSP dongle , however if UA native versions were available id 'fill my boots'
I got the email too and took the survey last night. I answered a big YES to native versions too. I wonder what they've got up their sleeves?
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

i don't see the point, one of the big joys of UAD plugs is that they leave system resources free to use for other purposes. Whatever we do and how powerfull our computers may become, we'll always be searching for more DSP power. If they go native-only, i'll have to go see elsewhere if the grass is greener.

And for those who didn't buy the UAD because it's an expensive piece of hardware, i can assure you that the UAD card is the best investment you can make when it comes to pepping up your DAW, 99% of the native plugins don't even come close to the kind of sound quality and sheer musicality the UAD plugs show - just another world! (and i don't own UA shares )

Plus, there may be solutions that remain un-cracked on mac (ilok, Ableton etc....), but if you're on windows (what, 90% of the market?) you won't have to pay for them pretty soon anymore, which will probably be a big loss for UA...
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think that would be a bad move , alot of folk already have 2 USB dongles (ilok & sycrosoft , 3 if you count Prop/record) .. owning a 3rd dongle may put alot of people off it certainly put me off buying record.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search