The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA Plugins , possibly native ? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrigel View Post
Works just fantastic for me and I have an SSL Duende also! They are working flawlessly on my system... by the way is a 2.66 MP. Probably something else on your system. I run really lean on my audio machines just because of the problems that can happen.
And what makes you think going native is the cure to your problem? Could be your host, other NATIVE plugs etc. so.
But can you run at low latency with that card half loaded? I don't think you can. heh
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrigel View Post
It's funny...
Give me ten minutes with your i7 or i5 and I'll lock that thing right on up!
You guy's talk like these things are a God or something... I use and support UA's
platform not only as an added amount of processing but as a dongle to thwart piracy!

i7, i5... Whatever
Boom!

thumbsup
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Why exactly am I needy and attention seeking? I only mentioned nationality to identify you in a jokey way anyway...no need to to take such offense.

I really don't understand your hatred of ilok though. I can understand you PREFERRING DSP cards, but to say "if they go iLok, I'd use anything but" is (as we say in English) "cutting off your nose to spite your face" - or in other words, limiting yourself by misguided principles.

As far as I'm concerned, a DSP card is a DSP card, a dongle is a dongle and an interface is an interface (for those using PT LE). The fact that all 3 can provide the dongle function is really neither here nor there.

Would you still abandon UA if they gave you the choice, as FeatheredSerpent and I have already debated above? You can either use DSP card as a dongle and run extra native plugins (a la TDM/RTAS systems) OR you can use an iLok? or would you ditch UA on principle because they've even talked to PACE?!

Like I've said before, UA, whilst they may be making decisions right now that appeal to you, are just another business. You seem to hold them as some holy grail of music industry company - I don't know if you have inside information, but even the compatibility issues have you blaming Steinberg instead - which indicates bias straight away. Maybe they are a little more personable than some others, but they're not going to take decisions that cost them profitability just to keep a few fanatics totally happy (btw I have no intention on getting into a discussion on customers satisfaction/profitability, I know the 2 are closely related).

All I'm saying is you seem very close-minded against certain things, without actually having a great reason for it.
The guy is severely misguided he's obviously had problems with dongles in the past and now seems to want to corrupt other peoples opinions with his close-minded views.

I personally love dongles. I've had problems with challenge response systems in the past and although they can be resolved I feel safer knowing I have my ilok + syncrosoft or whatever it's called now and it's my responsibility. If I break it or lose it I have to suffer the consequences whatever they may be, otherwise I can use my software on any computer the license allows.

What I dislike about m127's views is that he tries to force them on everyone else rather than just accept he doesn't like dongles and not use them.
Old 24th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
But can you run at low latency with that card half loaded? I don't think you can. heh
you can't run low latency with any DSP card apart from PT HD - the UAD cards (and Duende as far as I'm aware) can't really be used for tracking, since plugin delay compensation induces latency.
Old 24th November 2009
Quote:
you can't run low latency with any DSP card apart from PT HD - the UAD cards (and Duende as far as I'm aware) can't really be used for tracking, since plugin delay compensation induces latency.
Duende V3 can be run with very low latency now that it's "hybrid" and using host CPU as well as DSP...
Old 25th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
Duende V3 can be run with very low latency now that it's "hybrid" and using host CPU as well as DSP...
Thanks for the clarification - although this means it's not really DSP assisted in the same way, and is effectively another native plugin when run in this mode.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I track with UAD-2's Live mode.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
There you go! That's the argument for native. Protools is the standard. UA needs to fix their drivers or go native.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
I track with UAD-2's Live mode.
Yeah I've tried that, works fine with a few plugins but good luck under a half load or above, not mentioning the cpu overhead to stream "live".
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Jesus...
Old 25th November 2009
m127 - I really think you have a few issues that need resolving!

I don't really think I can add much to PlayRadioPlay's comment really.

I really hope something is being lost between cultures though.

It would be really quite funny if UAD did announce iLok support now, given that impassioned yet misguided tirade.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Addict

wow

i guess nothing changes

[IMG]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z158/7th_angelz/princesaysthis****iswack.gif[/IMG]
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Yeah I've tried that, works fine with a few plugins but good luck under a half load or above, not mentioning the cpu overhead to stream "live".
That may be, but for my needs...It's more than adequate. thumbsup
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post

What I dislike about m127's views is that he tries to force them on everyone else rather than just accept he doesn't like dongles and not use them.
And if you feed the troll, he keeps coming back....
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

I just think to myself. How could they release native plugs? I mean what if we would able to run 100+ neve channelstrips?
Long years of their marketing tried to convince us that this quality cannot be achieved with full native. Now what happened suddenly? I do not think they are going to release any native thing soon.
Uad2 customers won't be happy.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Well something I am happy about is the new UAD-1 upgrade offer!

Buy any UAD-2 Quad and get the Cooper, EMT250, and Fatso free!
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
Well something I am happy about is the new UAD-1 upgrade offer!

Buy any UAD-2 Quad and get the Cooper, EMT250, and Fatso free!
As long as you don't own a UAD-2 already. Guessing that will piss off quite a few.

(I don't own a UAD-2, and I'm currently trying to sell my UAD-1:s, so, well, I don't care, but I expect quite a lot of whining...)
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Metic Halo, SonicCore and many others will track with zero latency plugs and have done for years. UAD & v2 Duende not so.

ns
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post
Metic Halo, SonicCore and many others will track with zero latency plugs and have done for years. UAD & v2 Duende not so.

ns
live track mode work well with uad-2
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_F View Post
And if you feed the troll, he keeps coming back....
Yeh, some really intense audio-trolling going on again here...
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRadioPlay View Post
Jesus...
Yes...what up?
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spasm_dtc View Post
Yeh, some really intense audio-trolling going on again here...

No, it's dongle-trolling........
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

True story:

I mixed a track for a new client yesterday with 97% UAD effects and just landed a new gig to mix a complete album. The guy said he was going to have me mix one song to see if I could make the mix sound better than him, because he said he has pretty much every native plugin you can think of, but he also said that he knows he's not the best mixer, so he wanted to see what I could do, and if things turned out better, he said he would start sending me the rest of the album (12 other songs to mix).

EDIT: Just wanted to add that when I heard him say this, I told him I get paid first, then work (LMFAO). He agreed and paid me in advance to mix the joint.

The guy came back and was basically amazed at the quality of the mix versus his mix (I have to be honest and say I don't know what effects he was using, I didn't ask).

He asked me what I used, I told him I do have a couple of analog things on the mix bus, but other than that, I am pretty much 100% UAD effects and he said "Oh man, that's great, I wish I could get those effects but those cards are kinda expensive" to which I said "Yea, they can be if you really want to run a lot of effects, because you then need the most powerful card, probably two, as well as nearly all of the effects because they are all very useful. If you do this for profit, then after a few jobs, they do pay for themselves."

So I now realize that all of you complaining about this aren't really making money off mixing audio, otherwise, you'd see the value that these effects have in the sense that you know people aren't using them (cracked), not to mention how much better they sound in comparison to most of the stuff that's out there.

I also realized that if I were using native effects, that he might have said "Okay, let me get back to you" and possibly have tried to download the effects or play around more if they were some that he already had access to.

Before anyone asks to hear his mix versus mine, I'd just like to say:

I don't care enough about you to go that much out of my way to try and prove what I just said, but I do know that a few people that 1) do this for profit and 2) own these effects will realize what I'm saying is true and valid and they may have their own similar experiences.

As someone who has invested thousands into the UAD platform (seriously, thousands), if UA would make the move to native (which I doubt), I would be seriously pissed.

That would be like if you lived in a gated community where you paid for example $300 a month in HOA dues and then the HOA decided to open up the Pool and other amenities to the community for $0.25 a visit. mother-f that!
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

UA Plugins , possibly native ?-duty_calls.png

Some real dongle hate going down here ....

I'm starting to get with the idea of dongles, I mean, you could just crab your dongle, tippy-toe off to what ever studio and you're rocking with all your favourite plugs, how cool is that.

I went to a guys studio last weekend who didn't have any UAD cards, so to be able to play my sessions back I had to take my machine around to his place, how bloody annoying? I'm not a fan of taking my machine anywhere just incase it gets knocked and won't play happy again.

If things with UAD would move in the direction of native, man, that would be so cool thumbsup
Old 25th November 2009
Deleted bd1be4f
So what have learned here today, kids?

That no matter what UA does--whether they go native or not--somebody will be pissed.

Got it. heh
Old 25th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
True story:

I mixed a track for a new client yesterday with 97% UAD effects and just landed a new gig to mix a complete album. The guy said he was going to have me mix one song to see if I could make the mix sound better than him, because he said he has pretty much every native plugin you can think of, but he also said that he knows he's not the best mixer, so he wanted to see what I could do, and if things turned out better, he said he would start sending me the rest of the album (12 other songs to mix).

EDIT: Just wanted to add that when I heard him say this, I told him I get paid first, then work (LMFAO). He agreed and paid me in advance to mix the joint.

The guy came back and was basically amazed at the quality of the mix versus his mix (I have to be honest and say I don't know what effects he was using, I didn't ask).

He asked me what I used, I told him I do have a couple of analog things on the mix bus, but other than that, I am pretty much 100% UAD effects and he said "Oh man, that's great, I wish I could get those effects but those cards are kinda expensive" to which I said "Yea, they can be if you really want to run a lot of effects, because you then need the most powerful card, probably two, as well as nearly all of the effects because they are all very useful. If you do this for profit, then after a few jobs, they do pay for themselves."

So I now realize that all of you complaining about this aren't really making money off mixing audio, otherwise, you'd see the value that these effects have in the sense that you know people aren't using them (cracked), not to mention how much better they sound in comparison to most of the stuff that's out there.

I also realized that if I were using native effects, that he might have said "Okay, let me get back to you" and possibly have tried to download the effects or play around more if they were some that he already had access to.

Before anyone asks to hear his mix versus mine, I'd just like to say:

I don't care enough about you to go that much out of my way to try and prove what I just said, but I do know that a few people that 1) do this for profit and 2) own these effects will realize what I'm saying is true and valid and they may have their own similar experiences.

As someone who has invested thousands into the UAD platform (seriously, thousands), if UA would make the move to native (which I doubt), I would be seriously pissed.

That would be like if you lived in a gated community where you paid for example $300 a month in HOA dues and then the HOA decided to open up the Pool and other amenities to the community for $0.25 a visit. mother-f that!
This little story has absolutely nothing to do with UAD, native, or digital versus analogue, and everything to do with the fact that you're a better mixer than he is.

Maybe he would have downloaded and messed around, but he wouldn't get close, because he doesn't know how. If the 2 of you only had the same stock plugins, you'd still do a better mix. If you were forced to use other high end plugins, you'd still give him a mix better than his. Of course, familiarity is key, but if UAD went bust tomorrow I'm sure you could still mix just as well using Waves, URS, or whatever.

I'm sure you don't really think you only got the gig because you had UAD plugins to use. Likewise, you don't really think it's a good thing that others can't afford them do you? that's just a little silly. I could happily afford the cards if I wanted to - there's a myriad of reasons why I'd rather buy other plugins, the main one being portability.

Would you really be that annoyed if you were suddenly able to run more plugins than your cards could handle, even it it meant others could run the same plugins for a smaller fee? anyone on a comparable computer would be able to run less, because YOU'VE got the DSP card - that's what you paid for.

I don't really get your way of thinking. Don't you think if it actually were true that johnny handsome could mix his own bands record to a high standard by buying a grands worth of plugins, he would? He can't do it with a cracked mercury bundle, so how could he do it with a UAD card?
Old 25th November 2009
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
I don't really get your way of thinking. Don't you think if it actually were true that johnny handsome could mix his own bands record to a high standard by buying a grands worth of plugins, he would? He can't do it with a cracked mercury bundle, so how could he do it with a UAD card?
Agreed. It's always the engineer, not the gear. Some gear makes the job easier, but talent, experience and skills are what make mixes great.
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
the Mercury bundle, which is the one I'd like and could get in 40 seconds if I wanted to
Wow. Once again, m127, you are the man.
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know.

Feel free to contribute on the topic under discussion too... "UA going native". Remember?

Don't worry, I love you too

Ah, mate, that's not quite how you phrased it last time! In fact, checking my PMs, last time you called me "stupid g uy"and a "noob who makes crap". Never mind. Bygones, etc.

That said, I don't quite see what the speed with which you can obtain a copy of the Waves Mercury bundle has to do with "UA going native".

Last edited by badmark; 26th November 2009 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: a mere detail
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
the only thing preventing me (and many others) from buying into the Waves scheme is not the money (well, I think they are a bit overpriced too, taking into account the price itself and that they charge more money for updates as opposed to UA) but precisely the dongle, and constant complaints of customer mistreatment by other users reported here and elsewhere.

Ah, I didn't know Waves had gone dongle. I bought one of their Musician's Bundles in a sale about 5 years ago. Fair enough product, but the WUP etc was such a hassle I uninstalled and now the cds are gathering dust somewhere. I suppose I should sell them on eBay, get someone else to tear their hair out

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search