The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA Plugins , possibly native ? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 18th January 2010
Lives for gear

They wont go Native.It will not happen anytime soon.They released new cards.Speculation and nothing more.DSP is far from going away.
Old 18th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermusic View Post
TC was Native from the beginnings ... TC are not UAD... TC share the processing power with host CPU!!

UAD plugins was never wrote to run Natively (in the history there was an LA2A for DAE TDM... but Avid was going to a wrong way...)
UAD plugins are exactly the same as TDM DAE plugins...
UAD plugins are for TOP High quality sound production... you can ear the difference in the CD and Movies made from Universal ..Warner Bros ...Paramount and other Major Labels!!
Just buy a Original CD from TOP musicians and Majors Labels to ear the difference!

I don't understand why there are people that ask only for "UAD go to Native" (annoying position )... oops ... sorry, I mean: I know why :-) Because UAD plugins sound better than DAE TDM!
There are DA TDM plugin that was translate for RTAS.... RTAS version are floppy version the sound is not the same... sounds not so good!

sold my UAD-1 plugs lately
see more value in investing in high end plugs like the Lexicon than in a Quad
cant be simpler than that
Old 18th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
UAD plugins are for TOP High quality sound production... you can ear the difference in the CD and Movies made from Universal ..Warner Bros ...Paramount and other Major Labels!!
Just buy a Original CD from TOP musicians and Majors Labels to ear the difference!
i'm really curious at to how you can tell which cd's, movies, etc, were using uad, without reading an article or promo blurb of course.
Old 19th January 2010
after the first paragraph, this post is utter nonsense.

Quote:
TC was Native from the beginnings ... TC are not UAD... TC share the processing power with host CPU!!

UAD plugins was never wrote to run Natively (in the history there was an LA2A for DAE TDM... but Avid was going to a wrong way...)
UAD plugins are exactly the same as TDM DAE plugins...

I don't understand why there are people that ask only for "UAD go to Native" (annoying position )... oops ... sorry, I mean: I know why :-) Because UAD plugins sound better than DAE TDM!
There are DA TDM plugin that was translate for RTAS.... RTAS version are floppy version the sound is not the same... sounds not so good!
Old 19th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thangelz View Post
i'm really curious at to how you can tell which cd's, movies, etc, were using uad, without reading an article or promo blurb of course.
He can't tell but, I understand what he is saying. Some TDM plugs did not translate well into the RTAS world. Hopefully this won't happen if UAD offers a native counterpart. Perhaps, they will come out with a whole NEW line of native plugs. That's where I would take it if I was consulting them. Keep their partnerships on the SHARC's and launch their native line as simply Universal Audio. I doubt their native plugs will sound the same as the plugs running through the SHARC chips but, hey, you never know.

Personally, I think the ITB world needs more products like the UAD-2 cards. I wish all manufacturers (UAD, SSL, TC, Focus, etc.) made their DSP power rack mountable - compatible to each other - and linkable through 1 master PCIe card! Is that too much to ask for?

All hail the Fatso!
Old 19th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up Having a choice

I don't see the big deal with having a choice. Native or card, I think that would be a smart move. Why would it piss people off? I think the card serves more purpose than just running the plugins, it takes processing off the computer. That would be the benefit of buying a dsp card even if there was a native version. Plus if they were on Ilok you could use them on any computer not just one with the card. They would now expand their customer base. There are some Imac guys who would love to run their plugs. I would be all over it if there was a native version.
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

They should not go Native, but need to slash the price of the Quad and pickup that Hybrid Processing idea from Duende.
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

"If there was a native equivalent of a UA plugin would you buy the native instead ?"

Talking to Will Shanks at NAMM, he said that 60% of people that took the survey said NO to this question.

I was really surprised by that.
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

seems i'm one of the 40% then.
Old 19th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
If a company is going to use a hardware dongle, I for one would like them to use ilok. It works, it's centrally supported, there are insurance/coverage schemes in place...why a company would want to use their own bespoke system is beyond me. Ilok please
+1

if UA had native ilok plug ins they'd open up an entirely new market of people who migrate from studio to studio and over multiple machines.

I can't imagine that it makes sense for them to NOT do it.
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobson View Post
seems i'm one of the 40% then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvetstudios View Post
+1

if UA had native ilok plug ins they'd open up an entirely new market of people who migrate from studio to studio and over multiple machines.

Yup. I'm with you guys and I told Will the same. I take all of my plug-ins with me but of course the UAD has to stay at home. UAD on iLok would be awesome.
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
"If there was a native equivalent of a UA plugin would you buy the native instead ?"

Talking to Will Shanks at NAMM, he said that 60% of people that took the survey said NO to this question.

I was really surprised by that.
Yes, I believe the question was meant like this. If you were a UAD user, would you buy the Waves SSL or the UAD4k. Obviously the UAD4k it is.
Old 19th January 2010
Gear Head

waves on ilok are not the same as waves on TDM the cost differ the sound quality too
TDM plugs are more expansive... TDM plugins sound pro!

UAd plugins sound better and are only for pro environments... no iMac no macbook

ONLY for Pro and professional laptops with PCI slots
The amount of processing power transfer between cards is impressive (UAD2 cannot run on PCI at 33Mhz because the bandwidth is not enough
ONLY one native compiled NEVE Compressor could be going to overloaded one i7 Core

Firewire bandwidth is not sufficient
I'm sorry for the people the don't use professional workstations but the sound quality is the primary reason!

In order to emulate the analog processing there are irregular distortions
also cable and selectors are emulated... to convert analog device sound in a digital world.. is required the special power of Graphic GPU Cards that works using oversampling... really high oversampling.... this is the secret of the UAD amazing sound

Uad plugins simply cannot work on the host CPU because there are no CPU capable to run them without overloads!

There are already a lot of native plugins... tons of very good software house:
Ozone, TRex, PSP, waves, and more.... do you really think that the developers are stupid???
if you want analog emulation by using the internal CPU the sound will be the same!!!
Why UAD should be develop native analog emolation plugins? The sound quality will be very similar as PSP or other great software house!!

there are tons of them.. and they sound as Native processing plugs can do!

do you really think that PSP, IZotope or Waves developers are stupid??
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
Yes, I believe the question was meant like this. If you were a UAD user, would you buy the Waves SSL or the UAD4k. Obviously the UAD4k it is.
Good point, the question was very ambiguous and badly phrased.

Did it mean:

1) If UAD released native plug-ins themselves would you buy them?

2) If a competitor had a native alternative would you buy it over the UAD DSP version?
Old 19th January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Why UAD should be develop native analog emolation plugins?

do you really think that PSP, IZotope or Waves developers are stupid??
I hope UAD stays away from native analog emolation, and I don't think the developers are stupid.
Old 19th January 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by orjankarlsson View Post
I hope UAD stays away from native analog emolation, and I don't think the developers are stupid.
Please don't misunderstand me... if you read my post this phrase is outside the contest of my point!!!
I'm sure that UAD stay far away from Native
read this
UAD Forums • View topic - Logic 9.1 requires 64bit driver for UAD-1

I USE UAD and I don't Want Native version of UAD.... and if they want do that...
I will always use only the UAD DSP plugins

TDM has gone to Native with RTAS... the sounds quality is very bad related to DAE TDM

the same for UAD...
UAD sounds good only if use the DSPs

that is why UAD never gone to native... because the sound quality of the PSP and Izotope are the maximum that can be obtain in the Native environment

When CPU is busy for a Multitasking processing... the realtime process cannot run as well...
That is why dedicated DSP that was made to stay focused to Real Time Audio sounds much better!!!

the prove of that are RTAS vs TDM
TDM sounds better!!!
And UAD plugins are the best... if compared with DAE TDM... because they don't have Neve and Trident... Roland series and precision series

:-)

G
Old 19th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

the same for UAD...

that is why UAD never gone to native... because the sound quality of the PSP and Izotope are the maximum that can be obtain in the Native environment

When CPU is busy for a Multitasking processing... the realtime process cannot run as well...
That is why dedicated DSP that was made to stay focused to Real Time Audio sounds much better!!!
You seriously need to get some education how computers, dsp:s and software work. same algorithm + same input = same output, regardless of platform.
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please don't misunderstand me... if you read my post this phrase is outside the contest of my point!!!
I'm sure that UAD stay far away from Native
read this
UAD Forums • View topic - Logic 9.1 requires 64bit driver for UAD-1

I USE UAD and I don't Want Native version of UAD.... and if they want do that...
I will always use only the UAD DSP plugins

TDM has gone to Native with RTAS... the sounds quality is very bad related to DAE TDM

the same for UAD...

the prove of that are RTAS vs TDM
TDM sounds better!!!
And UAD plugins are the best... if compared with DAE TDM... because they don't have Neve and Trident... Roland series and precision series

:-)

G
Old 19th January 2010
JES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvetstudios View Post
+1

Another advantage to Native: for those of us who don't make music with the "write a song and record it, then mix it" model, native plugs work better for direct recording and overdubbing. UAD adds latency issues even in "direct" mode. I love the sound of the UAD but it's a drag to have to turn everything off to overdub.
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydan View Post
You seriously need to get some education how computers, dsp:s and software work. same algorithm + same input = same output, regardless of platform.
If all the data types of all variables/registers are the same as well.
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
Another advantage to Native: for those of us who don't make music with the "write a song and record it, then mix it" model, native plugs work better for direct recording and overdubbing. UAD adds latency issues even in "direct" mode. I love the sound of the UAD but it's a drag to have to turn everything off to overdub.
I Track/Overdub with Plugins on the input channels all the time with UAD. But then again I'm using Studio One which has ADC.
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
the same for UAD...

Oh yeah and why is that? Do you like making stuff up?

Quote:
I see, so what do you think your little UAD DSP chips are doing when you're running more than 1 plug-in at once? Multi-tasking perhaps?

You really don't know much about computing do you! Real-time just means time sensitive. Why do you think audio streams are buffered within your computer?

Hint: it's so the CPU can afford to be off doing something else much of the time and pop back to process a chunk of audio without the continuous nature of the audio stream ever being disrupted.

An audio stream has a very low data rate as far as a modern CPU is concerned. Positively pedestrian. Yes the desktop OS we all run aren't classed as real-time because they don't guarantee time sensitive behaviour, however in reality provided your setup is behaving there isn't usually an issue. If there is you will hear it and just increase your buffer size.

I don't know why I'm bothering because you're obviously either trolling or just very stupid.
Old 20th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
I Track/Overdub with Plugins on the input channels all the time with UAD. But then again I'm using Studio One which has ADC.
Adc can't possibly work on a live input stream - think about it. It would need to predict the future!
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Adc can't possibly work on a live input stream - think about it. It would need to predict the future!
The guy had problems with latency while dubbing and the playback tracks. With ADC on inputs everything plays back and is recorded in sync. With Presonus "Zero" latency monitoring you'll have zero problems dubbing. If you want to discount what I said, obviously you would have to discount what he said first!
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
it lines everything up, but it cannot defeat input latency. but UAD only adds 1.5ms iirc so it's probbaly unnoticeable as long as your latency is set low on your soundcard
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
it lines everything up, but it cannot defeat input latency. but UAD only adds 1.5ms iirc so it's probbaly unnoticeable as long as your latency is set low on your soundcard
Yeah, if I am doing over dubs for let's say guitars and decide to use software emulation for that real-time monitoring is a must of course. I simply knock the latency down and slap on the UAD plugins for monitoring. No latency problems.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search