The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blasts of white noise in logic 9 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Blasts of white noise in logic 9

This is a real show stopper for me as it could be potentially damaging to ones hearing.

There are a lot of people reporting blasts of white noise at full volume which may or may not follow a random disk to slow error. I had this while recording a single track of audio last night after receiving a disk to slow error. Fortunately I saw the crazy sound wave in the take list before playing it back. I know that it is not actually an issue of the disk being too slow in my case. Here are some links from the apple forum and sonikmatter:

Blasts of white noise - Sonikmatter

Apple - Support - Discussions - My ears are ringing from blast of white ...

I don't see any common factor between these reports. Different sound cards and computers, etc.

Please send a feedback to Apple if you are experiencing this.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html

(update Oct, 2010)
Also, if you experience this error please take a minute to post the following information in this thread about the incident. It would be nice if we can use this thread to find some common elements to this bug.

1)computer/o.s./ram
2)logic version
3)sample rate/ bit/ buffer
4)instanced plug-ins
5)installed plug-ins
6)hard drive configuration
7)cpu and hd usage at time of incident
8)any unusual information in your console log under system.log
9)audio/midi interface and connection type(firewire, usb, etc.)
Old 11th November 2009
It used to happen to me in the very first version of PT7 as well. I was super pissed as were some of the drumers with their headphones on.
Old 11th November 2009
Here for the gear

I've been running into it the last few weeks while recording some drum tracks. Usually right around the disk error as mentioned.

It is CRAZY loud. Even with 15dB plugs in under the headphones.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Someone posted this link for logic feedback. Please use it.

Apple - Logic Pro - Feedback

Also may be useful to post what system config and plugs you are using.

I am on a mac pro quad 2.66, os 10.5.7, 4GB apple installed ram, Internal sata hard drives, one for system, one for recording, one for samples. Interface is a DM3200 on a seperate firewire card.

I also have a uad2 quad installed. Plug-ins and vi's include RMX, Battery, Omnisphere, Kontakt 2 +3, URS, CSR, Melodyne.

When receiving the blast of noise, the only plugins I had active were RMX, Omnisphere and Kontakt 3. Also had the logic gain plug-in on another track.

This is really a serious issue, I can't afford to damage my hearing.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I get this from time to time just from Core Audio. I think there are things in the Mac OS or other apps which suspend interrupts and screw up Core Audio streaming, causing the blasts of noise. Yes it's infuriating and painful. Fortunately, I've only gotten it on my home machine, never my studio machine.

I don't know if it is a Logic thing. If your System Audio is audible (ITunes, Alerts etc.) through your interface the noise could be coming from another source. Is your system audio audible when you hear this noise? Or is it routed elsewhere?
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have my system audio going through channels 1-2 and logic out 3-4 of my dm3200.
The blast was recorded on the input channel. I had no other open apps. Seems pretty clear that it is an apple problem.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

It really is a show stopper for those who have experienced it.
Old 23rd November 2009
Ski
Gear Head

FWIW, I've set up a questionnaire on the Apple/Logic forum, asking people who have (and haven't) experienced this problem to answer it in an effort to see if there's any common denominator as to why some people experience this and others don't. Here's the link to the questionnaire:

Apple - Support - Discussions - My ears are ringing from blast of white ...

If enough people respond, I'll compile the data into a spreadsheet and post it here and on other Logic forums (including LPH, where I'm a moderator) in the hopes that maybe the cause can be pinned down.
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Addict

I got this problem while recording under the following configuration:

Macbook Pro (Oct. 2008 model)
Logic Pro 9.02
Prism Orpheus audio interface
Recording to internal Hitachi HTS723232L9SA62 hard drive

Logic Pro Details:

Track count in Logic Pro was 6
Sample Rate: 96 kHz
Bit Depth: 24-bit
I/O Buffer Size: 256

The problem seems to happen sporadically.

Also check out this thread for more details:

Hate Logic Pro 9 - Disk too slow error?
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

This actually happend to me just last night and it was followed by the disk too slow error. As im embarrassed to say I was doing a Karaoke CD for a family as a gift to their mom.
So the material was imported audio that was burnt to a CD and then recorded vocals.

I have never had this issue before in any other sessions. It could have something to do with the imported audio or the autoload could have become corrupted. It happend three times and after that I opened up a new session(not based on that autoload) and contuined the last two songs without issues.

Needless to say Ill be creating a new autoload incase that was it.

Ill chime back in if it continues to happen.

the audio was 16bit import recording 24bitvox tracks all 44k. not a large track count at all.
Old 22nd December 2009
Gear Head

I've had this problem.

I attached an mo3 of what it sounds like on my rig.
Attached Files

white noise burst.mp3 (181.0 KB, 1844 views)

Old 18th February 2010
Here for the gear

same problem here

i've got the same problem quite often. the funny thing about it is that most of the time i get this error when i'm out on mobile recording.
my system is:
macpro 3.1
logic pro 9.1
buffer size 128

well the last time i recorded a band it happenen like 3 times in a row till we stopped recording for quite some time.
the strange thing is that the cpu and hard drive usage show almost nothing in the meter!
when i changed the buffer size from 128 to 64 samples i didn't have a single problem any more till the end of the day.
well i'm not sure if that has something to do with 2 quadcore xeons that are natively running at 64 bit, (just an assumption) but it just seems to work better with 64 samples. and by the way the cpu usage just totally stays the same, even in the activity monitor!
since i still can't find a solution i'm kinda afraid of recording at the moment :-(
Old 19th February 2010
Lives for gear

I've gotten this too, and the worst of it is that it usually happens when tracking, so it's easy to play it back into the monitor mix of the musicians who are recording. yow. this is a really bad bug.

-synthoid
Old 19th February 2010
Yep very bad bug indeed, and one that is well reported and been around for awhile. I have had this happen on sessions when it has gone to the cue mix for musicians. Not fun. I will say I do not get it that often, would guess once every 3-4 months, with everyday usage.
Old 21st February 2010
Gear Maniac

I get it in Logic 8.02 on my MBP rev 3.1 aka Santa Rosa w/ 4 GB ram, it is scary as hell and can be a session killer.Tested on buffers 64 - 256 using a Presonus Inspire using FW 400 onboard and Audio HD on express card FW.It is random and sometimes impossible to reproduce even with stock plugs it will happen.

I am over Logic once and for all.
Old 21st February 2010
Lives for gear

Just wanted to mention, this has NOT happened to me since a mentioned it. And ive had quite a few projects since.
Old 22nd February 2010
Lives for gear

happens to me in Logic 8
Old 22nd February 2010
This is not strictly a Logic issue. There's a few current threads about it on the DUC. When I first built my PTHD8 system last year, I started getting the bursts of white noise. Following someone else's suggestion, what I did was divide my 500GB audio drive into smaller partitions. I made an 80GB partition for current projects. The problem completely disappeared after that and never happened again (KNOCK ON WOOD REAL HARD). That was about 9 months ago. I don't know if that would work for anyone else.
Old 22nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
This is not strictly a Logic issue. There's a few current threads about it on the DUC. When I first built my PTHD8 system last year, I started getting the bursts of white noise. Following someone else's suggestion, what I did was divide my 500GB audio drive into smaller partitions. I made an 80GB partition for current projects. The problem completely disappeared after that and never happened again (KNOCK ON WOOD REAL HARD). That was about 9 months ago. I don't know if that would work for anyone else.
I believe you but for me it's only happened in Logic. I've never had it happen in PT (not yet at least) and I use the same audio drive for both. Currently a terabyte seagate drive. I will say that I haven't had it happen yet in Logic 9 on my system but I have seen it happen at a friends place a lot. We both have pretty much identical systems as we work back and forth a lot. The only difference is he uses a Motu 828mkII and I use a Metric Halo 2882 2d. I do think it has something to do with how hard the drive is having to work so having the drive partitioned smaller could help for sure. I'm going to suggest this to my friend and see if this helps as he see's the white noise burst all the time.
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Head

I've had it happen to me, and it happened twice last nite. I'm using ProTools 7.4 in a i5 quad-core pc, so it's not exclusive to macs and logic. And there was no error at all before hand or after. And the kicker is it doesn't show up in the waveform. They look completely normal. On two different tracks at different times. And it's loud as hell. Been lucky so far that I haven't played it back thru anyone's headphones. But I sure would love to know what's causing this phantom noise and how to eradicate it once and for all. Could seriously damage someone's hearing, and tweeters for that matter.
Thanx,
gm
Old 24th May 2010
Here for the gear

This is horrific!

Hey everyone. sflogicninja here.

This just happened to me for the first time today. Scared the living HELL out of me.

This has got to be fixed. I'm sending word in. YoW!

My ears are ringing. I mix at 80db, so it wasn't as bad as it could've been , but WOW.
Old 24th May 2010
this is not good.

send in the ninja!
Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear

Been working with Logic and Pro Tools for over 10 years and I've never had the full scale white noise in PT, yet with Logic it's happened on every version going back to 4 or 5 with all kinds of different computers/configs. Towers, laptops etc etc

It happens so infrequently (say like every 6 months) that it is not a issue that is easy to track down, the Apple discussion and public analysis is a good idea.
Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflogicninja View Post
Hey everyone. sflogicninja here.

This just happened to me for the first time today. Scared the living HELL out of me.

This has got to be fixed. I'm sending word in. YoW!

My ears are ringing. I mix at 80db, so it wasn't as bad as it could've been , but WOW.
Geez man, that's terrible!

I really like Logic, but this is a dealbreaker. In fact, I think somebody should sue them. Might be the only way to get their attention.
Old 25th May 2010
Gear Addict

I just had this happen to me for the first time 2 minutes ago, my eyes are watering.... this is a major problem.

Logic 9 on leopard.
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

i hate it too, but sadly just got used to it. If the take was that good, then I will just close the session and re-open it. Logic recognizes the file to be damaged and repairs it, and that somehow fixes the problem. Pain in the ass, but what can we do?
Old 26th May 2010
Gear Addict

I had to leave work early and I am having some discomfort in my right ear...if it isn't feeling better tomorrow I will be seriously pissed.
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

McEnroe, I hope you have a good lawyer. This is not a harmless bug that should be taken lightly by apple.

Glad to hear sflogicninja is on the case. He must have some clout with apple.

I have not had it happen in a while and am hoping that it has been addressed by 9.1.1
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
McEnroe, I hope you have a good lawyer.

Quote:
Glad to hear sflogicninja is on the case.

This is the only type of bug that can't be excused for any reason.
Old 26th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
McEnroe, I hope you have a good lawyer. This is not a harmless bug that should be taken lightly by apple.

Glad to hear sflogicninja is on the case. He must have some clout with apple.

I have not had it happen in a while and am hoping that it has been addressed by 9.1.1

Just so everyone knows, I am using Logic 9.1.1 on Mac OS: 10.5.8.

Nothing got better over night. I am making an appointment to see a doctor. This is just terrible.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search