The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blasts of white noise in logic 9 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th October 2010
Lives for gear

I think the process buffer is for the mix engine. I wonder if it could affect recording. I always have mine set to medium.
Old 18th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
I think the process buffer is for the mix engine. I wonder if it could affect recording. I always have mine set to medium.
Yea, I'm not sure but I figured it might be worth mentioning.
Old 1st November 2010
Here for the gear

blast of white noise logic express 8

hi guys,

i experienced this very painful noise twice right in my ears yesterday, never again !
so i'll wait until Apple fixes the problem
it happened as i was just playing some sounds on my midi keyboard in Logic express with instrument plugin Sonic Synth 2 from IK Multimedia, no recording just playing the sounds and it happened just as i was turning the knobs to apply a Lfo ...

here is my config :
imac 2.66 ghz intel core 2 duo
4 Go ram
logic express 8
Korg pandora audio interface

i didn't find anyone here in France with this problem so far
let's hope this will be fixed soon , can't work with this sword of Damocles !!

cheers
Old 2nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Can I just delcare. Yesterday I got this "White Noise" and yes it was scary, but with my lightening quick reflexes and amazing under pressure level-headedness I saved my ears from bleeding.

But, for me, it was down to shutting my MBP with my Sapphire plugged in.

I shut it, opened it up and my NS10s nearly shat themselves.

But it wasn't only Logic. I tried it again with Ableton and it did it with that. And I tried it with Final Cut Pro and it did it with that... I'm a little confused.

None of what I have experienced corroborates with what everyone has experienced here.

P.S. Mine is totally repeatable. But it hasn't happened before.
Old 2nd November 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by api2500 View Post
Can I just delcare. Yesterday I got this "White Noise" and yes it was scary, but with my lightening quick reflexes and amazing under pressure level-headedness I saved my ears from bleeding.

But, for me, it was down to shutting my MBP with my Sapphire plugged in.

I shut it, opened it up and my NS10s nearly shat themselves.

But it wasn't only Logic. I tried it again with Ableton and it did it with that. And I tried it with Final Cut Pro and it did it with that... I'm a little confused.

None of what I have experienced corroborates with what everyone has experienced here.

P.S. Mine is totally repeatable. But it hasn't happened before.
Well, make sure to give Apple all the details so they can fix it ASAP. Thanks!
Old 2nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablu8 View Post
Well, make sure to give Apple all the details so they can fix it ASAP. Thanks!
I've emailed Steve Jobs but he says he's a bit busy faffing about with OSX Lion atm... He can never focus.

But the Blasts of Noise haven't been random.

Can anyone repeat what I've done?
Old 2nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Haven't had that here with either firewire or expresscard soundcards connected (which is very often). Have left them connected many times during sleep & shut down, and while I usually have it muted on my board I'd certainly see a bus that's routed light up or have heard it via headphones etc (laptop goes to a submixer.)
Old 6th November 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
Try what I did. So far I've been smooth sailing. I deleted my windows partition so the drive has only one large partition now. I also deleted every single unnecassary program on the drive and moved as much as I could to a second hard drive. But I have to say I think if it happens even one more time its pro tools for me.
Well you'd never guess what happened to me the other day. Yes another white noise blast. Thank god we did not hear it and it only appeared visually and I was able to delete it before playback. We were monitoring pretty loud and had we heard it, there was a good just of someone experiencing significant hearing loss. Well I dont have the money for pro tools right now so in the mean time I am switching back to Sonar on PC which I never even had 1 crash with in 2 years. Only reason I moved to Logic and Mac was becuase my UAD-2 and Duende were not working together. Well I decided from here on its OTB for me on a reliable system.
Old 12th November 2010
Lives for gear

i've been toying with switching over to logic for my mix rig...and honestly was quite sold on it.

bought logic 9. loved it.

then got the white noise blast.

unacceptable. so lucky i was not wearing phones...or tracking someone else.

i've got several friends who have experienced the same.

any gear can have issues. this is a pretty serious bug.

unless you have an external limiter on your output...and monitor at low volumes...i dunno....not sure i trust logic anymore.

really wanted to love that program.

luckily avid came through...and i shall remain in pt land.

and make music.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 12th November 2010
Lives for gear

So I guess that means that they finally fixed the white noise problem in PT?
Old 13th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
i've been toying with switching over to logic for my mix rig...and honestly was quite sold on it.

bought logic 9. loved it.

then got the white noise blast.

unacceptable. so lucky i was not wearing phones...or tracking someone else.

i've got several friends who have experienced the same.

any gear can have issues. this is a pretty serious bug.

unless you have an external limiter on your output...and monitor at low volumes...i dunno....not sure i trust logic anymore.

really wanted to love that program.

luckily avid came through...and i shall remain in pt land.

and make music.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Got White noise in PT LE and Ableton.

I don't get it. We must all be reporting the same symptoms for different problems.
Old 13th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got White noise in PT LE and Ableton.

I don't get it. We must all be reporting the same symptoms for different problems.
I think the logic blast has a very specific pattern. It occurs at the end of the recording and has a visible soundwave that gets recorded.

The whole problem could be a core audio issue that is affecting all audio software on mac.
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

Or a file handling issue...or some combination of both?
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the logic blast has a very specific pattern. It occurs at the end of the recording and has a visible soundwave that gets recorded.
I get that on Pro Tools and not Ableton.... And when I did get it, it was sporadic and there didn't seem to be a trigger.
Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear

OMG! This just dusted my NS10s and my hearing!

I figured out what is happening. I pressed play and Logic just went into a random and spontaneous CYCLE LOOP on its own. The green bar, between locators and green arrows, at the top of the arrange window. Not sure the correct words, but hopefully you can figure out what I'm talking about. It took me awhile to figure out what was causing the deafening white noise burst because there is NO TIME between the CYCLE LOOP arrows, just a barely visible green sliver. It's just an infinite loop and very difficult to spot on the arrange window.

Why does this happen on its own? All I did was press STOP and PLAY and it created itself. Going to have to monitor Logic at low volumes until this is prevented from recurring.
Old 15th January 2011
Gear Nut
I don't know if this is the same issue, but I had something similar with the Ardour demo outputting extreme distortion/noise [not white noise] on my MacBookPro4,1 using built-in speakers. This happened a couple of times. Although I had set the speakers relatively quiet [only a few dots], the noise was terribly loud - probably the speakers' maximum.

So far I haven't experienced it with Logic Pro 8 or the current Ableton demo.
Old 15th January 2011
Gear Nut
It would be fantastic if someone could ask the Apple engineers at NAMM:

"Several engineers from the Mac audio team are attending the NAMM show. If you are are interested in discussing Mac audio topics or have questions regarding FireWire or USB audio devices, we'd be happy to talk to you. We'll have engineers here that maintain all of the audio drivers that ship with OS X (built-in audio, USB, and FireWire). We're interested in hearing your thoughts and concerns and will do our best to answer any questions you may have. Additionally, we'd like to discuss the progress that the IEEE has made on the Ethernet Audio-Video Bridging (AVB) effort over the past year.

This year we have our own room in the convention center that we can use for meetings (room 106 outside of Hall A - no badge required). We will also have some Macs and test equipment with us, so you are welcome to bring your latest USB or FireWire audio device to see how well it is working with OS X. If there are issues, we'll have some time to help you narrow down the problem. Anyone is free to come by to consult with us and use our test equipment between 10 a.m. and Noon today (Jan 14) and Saturday (Jan 15)."

Roland Clan Forums > Mac > Apple developers at NAMM
Old 23rd January 2011
Here for the gear

white noise blast

Hey folks.

Had this happen to me, while i was recording about 12 tracks at once into logic 9 through an apogee ensemble. I was using my old MBP w/ and external esata drive through an express card.

The only fix that let me record these 12 tracks at once was to use my other external drive, which was daisychained through the extra firewire connector on my ensemble. so it was computer - >ensemble -(daisychained)> firewire drive. Never happened after this. Recording response was a little bit slower but still manageable.

To be honest I'm really scared to use my esata drive ever again w/ logic 9. lets hope apple or SOMEBODY figures this little (read as : BIG ANNOYING) glitch out.
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecleric View Post
Hey folks.

Had this happen to me, while i was recording about 12 tracks at once into logic 9 through an apogee ensemble. I was using my old MBP w/ and external esata drive through an express card.

The only fix that let me record these 12 tracks at once was to use my other external drive, which was daisychained through the extra firewire connector on my ensemble. so it was computer - >ensemble -(daisychained)> firewire drive. Never happened after this. Recording response was a little bit slower but still manageable.

To be honest I'm really scared to use my esata drive ever again w/ logic 9. lets hope apple or SOMEBODY figures this little (read as : BIG ANNOYING) glitch out.
There's a rather extensive thread (in this Music Computers forum) about expresscard issues on certain macbook pro's in this forum that might apply here...
Old 25th January 2011
Here for the gear

update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
There's a rather extensive thread (in this Music Computers forum) about expresscard issues on certain macbook pro's in this forum that might apply here...
Thanks or the heads up! i will check that out!

On the other hand- - - - loandbehold! the issue is gone for me. Just finished recording about 15 simultaneous tracks to my external esata drive (about 4 minutes long each - white noise usually appeared after a minute or so), in a session already full of tracks which was quite taxing on my rig.

The differences between this time and last time are :

Upgrade from mac os 10.5 to 10.6.6,
Brand new internal hard drive for osx and running logic, now at 7200rpm (up from 5400 before)
annnd last but not least, update from logic 9.0 to 9.0.2.

I'm doing some more recording later tonight - will post an update if anything goes awry.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecleric View Post
Thanks or the heads up! i will check that out!

On the other hand- - - - loandbehold! the issue is gone for me. Just finished recording about 15 simultaneous tracks to my external esata drive (about 4 minutes long each - white noise usually appeared after a minute or so), in a session already full of tracks which was quite taxing on my rig.

The differences between this time and last time are :

Upgrade from mac os 10.5 to 10.6.6,
Brand new internal hard drive for osx and running logic, now at 7200rpm (up from 5400 before)
annnd last but not least, update from logic 9.0 to 9.0.2.

I'm doing some more recording later tonight - will post an update if anything goes awry.
Funny thing is, I think most people have been running those specs and Logic 9.1.3 and still with problems.

7200rpm, 10.5.8, Logic 9.1.3, but the source of my problems was something else...

Hmmm... When will this get resolved?
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

just got blasted. fuuckapple. will post details later. i'm tired.
Old 8th February 2011
SimplePlan
Quote:
just got blasted. fuuckapple. will post details later. i'm tired.
Jeez that's dangerous !

I haven't had this problem since I through out my Ik plugs.
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear
WTF i just got blasted.

for me i notice it's always near the start of initiating an instance of something.

load up SPL vitalizer, BLAST.

load up flux ePure, BLAST.

just now, loaded up native audiounit V-Station. BLAST.

after the blast, and pressing play a couple times, it doesn't come back...
...until the next day when i reload the session.

WTF is going on.
Old 6th March 2011
TNM
Lives for gear
geez i wonder if it's ilok driver related.. did anyone ever think of that before or maybe i'm being ridiculous? but who knows what those low level virus kernels can do to a system.
Old 6th March 2011
Gear Nut

Unauthorized or cracked plugin perhaps?
Old 7th March 2011
Here for the gear
Hi,

So I finally Joined the club 2 Days ago..

Was recording vocals, just 1 track, playback of 4 tracks of audio,2 instances NI guitarrig, 1 instance of omnispere.

I had the "disc too slow error" while tracking followed by a white noise blast.. scared the hell out of me and the singer..

That day it happened more and more, so I sent the customer home.

On my rig I realised that the harddrive activity was strange when tracking 1 track: 2 seconds it showed nothing then it turned to red for 1 second, after that again 2 seconds nothing, followed by nearly red, that happened 3-5 times then I got the "disc too sloww" followed with white noise.

I have 3 harddrives in my Macpro, system, library and audio..

Funny thing was when changing the buffer sice from 64 to 32 the harddrive-meter just showed half of action??

Today everything is fine without changing anything.

There definitely should be some plugin that controlls the output, this at least is the minimum apple should do, I am pretty shure this problem will be hard to fix because it happens randomly and not very often.

And yes, before it happend to me I thought "what the hell are they talking about, I NEVER had that problem, they must do something wrong"..

Cheers, Lucky
Old 7th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Funny thing is, I think most people have been running those specs and Logic 9.1.3 and still with problems.

7200rpm, 10.5.8, Logic 9.1.3, but the source of my problems was something else...

Hmmm... When will this get resolved?
Calm down! Before it happened to you, it was no big deal, right?

Its not that bad? Right? Its never happened to me. I'm not worried. Why should you be? Right? hahaha

I love it when Karma hits people like you.

So sweet!

Well, between this bug, the 1 core spike bug, and more every week, Logic is looking like a lame piece of f'ing crap.
TK
Old 8th March 2011
TNM
Lives for gear
thankfully i have never had this ... i'd be terrified to damage the only one good ear i have... now i will probably jinx myself and get my fist noise blast.
Old 8th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Logic is looking like a lame piece of f'ing crap.
Something tells me it has nothing to do with Logic explicitly. It happens in other DAWs, on Mac and Windows.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search