The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blasts of white noise in logic 9 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 21st July 2010
just for the record, this happened once to me in logic 8 (haven't upgraded to 9). it was a while ago and can't remember what plug-in chain i was using but it was a softsynth track, alls i cans remembeers
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

ok. this is a stretch but... is it possible that this is some sort of iphone interference? This just happened to me again while someone with an iphone was tracking. The phone kept creating audio interference in the monitors and then the bug occured. This time there was no disc too slow message, just a visibly maxed out sound wave and noise on playback. Could it be some sort of iphone/mac communication trying to occur?

I only throw this out there because, I believe the previous time it happened there was also annoying iphone noise. Feel free to call me crazy.
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
ok. this is a stretch but... is it possible that this is some sort of iphone interference? This just happened to me again while someone with an iphone was tracking. The phone kept creating audio interference in the monitors and then the bug occured. This time there was no disc too slow message, just a visibly maxed out sound wave and noise on playback. Could it be some sort of iphone/mac communication trying to occur?

I only throw this out there because, I believe the previous time it happened there was also annoying iphone noise. Feel free to call me crazy.
I haven't had it ever, not since I've used Logic since 7 on a whole series of set ups (iMac, Aluminum iMac, Mac Pro with Core Audio, Mac Pro with Sapphire 6, Mac Pro through a 192, MBP Sapphire 6, MBP Core Audio, Macbook White Core Audio, Macbook White Sapphire 6, MBP Aluminum Sapphire 6, MBP Aluminum through a Pro 40, MBP Aluminum through a Tascam).

Remember, most people on that forum as well as here are running illegit copies of Logic but still expect support. So we need to rule out those opinions.
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by api2500 View Post
Remember, most people on that forum as well as here are running illegit copies of Logic but still expect support. So we need to rule out those opinions.
How in the world can you come to that conclusion?

What (imo) is really needed is some table/database of hardware configurations that experience this issue (and those that certainly haven't-yet) to see if there is anything identifiable. Software would help as well but that's too much to correlate for a forum discussion imo...
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Has only happened to me twice since upgrading to logic 9. Never happened in 8. Hasn't happened since I stopped hooking up my external drive, didn't happen before I started using an external drive. I really only use the external for loops, samples, and back ups.

I am running a macbook pro 2 ghz core duo, 2 gigs RAM, 320GB internal, 1 TB external (3 partitions), Apogee ensemble. External drive goes in FW400 with ensemble daisy chained. Planning on getting an eSATA card soon to eliminate the daisy chain.
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

I actually believe most professionals tend not to use cracked software and i think gearslutz is largely comprised of pros. Never had the problem until l9.
Old 23rd July 2010
Gear Head

Haven't had this pop up lately. BTW, I'm running Logic 9.1.1 on a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo connected to a Fireface 800/1TB Glyph via FW800.

I did start recording to the internal drive (don't bother with a lecture, I know it's considered bad practice), then moving the project to the external drive for editing/mixing.

I have a project coming up for which I intend to try recording basics to the external. Fingers crossed, monitors turned down low.
Old 29th July 2010
Gear Maniac

I started using Logic with version 7, and never had this problem until tonight.

I was tracking an acoustic guitar, 3 audio tracks with no plug-ins, just metronome, when all of a sudden, a SCARY blast of white noise at full volume, accompanied by a "Disk Too Slow" Error.
Both me and the guitar player had to yank our headphones off, it was really scary and dangerous.

Later it happened again, three times.
It was even visible on the recorded waveform.
I was forced to always keep a hand on the volume knob, ready to turn it down should the noise strike again. (and it did).

Note that nothing similar ever happened before, and lately I have made quite a lot of recordings with this same setup.

It is really not an acceptable bug, scared the **** out of everyone and is a threat to people's hearing.
Logic Pro 9.0, internal drive, firewire interface.
Old 29th July 2010
This bug affected me big time too, back when I had to record to my internal drive. I had to turn off input monitoring and make each performer track with one headphone off. It was seriously scaring people and affecting performances, so I switched to PT. Kind of afraid to even try tracking in logic anymore, even now that I have eleventy external drives.

I think Apple needs to read this thread.
Old 29th July 2010
Gear Addict

Does anyone on this forum have involvement with Apple that can make this problem a top priority?

Quote:
What (imo) is really needed is some table/database of hardware configurations that experience this issue (and those that certainly haven't-yet) to see if there is anything identifiable. Software would help as well but that's too much to correlate for a forum discussion imo...
This is the only way Apple is going to fix this once and for all. Here's a first crack at what everyone needs to provide:

1. Computer (exact year/model)
2. CPU
3. Internal OS drive (make/model)
4. Recording hard drive (make/model/RPM speed)
6. If #4 is external, port used to connect the drive (e.g. internal Firewire port, a Firewire ExpressCard, etc.)
5. Audio Interface
6. Port used to connect audio interface (e.g. internal Firewire port, ExpressCard, etc.)
7. DAW software + version
8. OS version
9. Whether you have wireless connectivity enabled
10. Description of the circumstances surrounding the incident (e.g. what you see when it happens)

My suspicion is that this problem has to do with the CoreAudio drivers not being compatible with some internal background process in the OS.. just a theory.

-Jeff
Old 30th July 2010
Gear Addict

I'm off of logic for now... Afraid of tracking in it...

It has happened to me twice and that was enough. I insist with every client that come into our studio now that we use Cubase 5.5 instead.

What a ****ty company apple is. Honestly. This bug's been around for a while and not a word from them.

All I''ve seen is some ****ty ****ing defenders over at the logic pro forum that just keep on defending apple 'bout this ****

gah!"#!"#!"#!"#
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear

Got this again today!!! Pisses me off! What sort of company would let such a dangerous bug pass thru beta-testing without being caught? They need some real beta-testers and fix this problem pronto!

My ears still hurt!!

MacPro Dual 2.66ghz
OSX 10.5.8
Latest Logic
Old 30th July 2010
Gear Addict

This is just sick,

know how it feels.

I'm not using logic anymore, period. We have both Logic pro 9 and Cubase 5.5 installed at the studio where I work
Old 31st July 2010
Gear Addict

I have had the issue a few times over the past few years. I used a g4 computer with motu hd192 uad card etc (no cracks).
I upgraded to an intel mac 2.66 quadcore (dec2006) and recently puchased an apogee ensemble. I have had the white noise issue pop up from time to time still.
I am now starting to see that if an audio file is recorded, some sort of error window pops up ( not a disk error ) and the file, if zoomed in close enough has a big long visual peak at the end of the region which makes it a dead giveaway not to continue with that file. There cannot be any playback of that file whatsoever, whether its the start or end, because the blast of white noise is dangerous especially on headphones when tracking.
That has been my workaround on most occasions, but its a terrible way to present oneself in a professional situation sweating over an issue with a client.
Old 31st July 2010
Gear Maniac

Thumbs down

the visual tail being highlighted as noise was only happening to me in L7. Although still unacceptable, it was a safer way to work. When you get the normal looking waveforms is where it becomes scary. Nothing like being in a heightened state of paranoia whilst tracking! I'm jumping ship soon - screw this Apple.
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

I've never had this bug, but every time I put headphones on, I get a bit nervous...

This is horribly irresponsible.
Old 31st July 2010
Gear Maniac

yeah I hope you never get to experience it. If you do you will probably never wear headphones again.

I have a 100% legit system (as many of us do here) and this is how we get rewarded.
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

This is probably the scariest thread I've seen here. Totally put me off switching to Logic.

Old 31st July 2010
Gear Maniac

what if we switched to Nuendo, will all our AU plugs work? I'm prepared to take a month off to learn it thats how pissed I am.
Old 31st July 2010
Just a friendly reminder to check post #18 and 20 on the first page. Some of us have had this issue on PT/PC, which kind of contradicts the general consensus of this thread. Who knows.
Old 31st July 2010
Gear Maniac

ok will partition to 80GB each and see what happens - last chance, I hope it works and thanks for the info.
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
This is probably the scariest thread I've seen here. Totally put me off switching to Logic.

Forget it.

Used it since 7. Never happened to me ever.
Old 31st July 2010
It happens to me in Garageband sometimes!
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

I posted this at Apple, but of course it was removed for being "non-productive." lol corporations. It seems 100% productive, as far as OUR needs go.

Guys... we're going about this all wrong.

If everyone with hearing damage, equipment damage, file loss, and work stoppage got together, a class action law suit might get these kinks worked out right quick.
Old 25th August 2010
Gear Nut

Are you guys who experience this recording audio to your Mac OS system drive, an additional internal drive or an external drive?
Old 25th August 2010
Lives for gear

Read the thread tone, that's been covered.
Old 25th August 2010
Gear Maniac

I may be speaking too soon, however since working from 70GB internal drive partitions it hasn't happened.

ps. if this was happening on an iPhone the problem would've been fixed the same day.
Old 25th August 2010
Lives for gear

I've been using Logic since V4 and never had that issue. I'm using 9.1.1. Again, no issues.
Old 25th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
My studio is 100% paid-up licenses for every piece of software and I got this blast of white noise stuff in several versions of Logic 9 during tracking sessions. I don't think it is a crack-related problem.

I recently got something similar from Ableton Live. Scared the poop out of me. I have no idea what it's from, whether core audio or Logic or maybe just two unrelated problems, one in Logic one in Live, who knows. Some folks have suggested it might be plug-in related. I haven't gotten it from the most up-to-date versions of Logic, but I have no way of knowing whether that's because it's fixed or I've just been lucky of late.

-synthoid
Old 25th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Forget it.

Used it since 7. Never happened to me ever.
Um.... you're a funny guy... or maybe just a tool.

There's an official response (emailed to a user) over in the Apple thread acknowledging they've been attempting to track this for a while now...

For someone already dealing with tinnitus, the potential for a "sudden blast of deafening white noise" is indeed a major, show-stopping, class-action-suit-worthy bug.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search