The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blasts of white noise in logic 9 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 8th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Im just doubling my post from LogicProhelp forum website:

that overloaded white noise could be very dangerous if one had some problems with hearing/ears, might easily damage eardrums and (hope not!) probably temporarily deafen the hearing ability. Having said this, Apple could easily be sued for being irresponsible and causing health damage. Complete idiots the are...honeslty, it;s a shame that such a beatiful daw is owned by bunch of moneymaking dorks

It is definitely to do with bad coding and nothing else.
Old 8th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post
Something tells me it has nothing to do with Logic explicitly. It happens in other DAWs, on Mac and Windows.

Where else did it exactly happen to you? Been 6 years on Cubase, 4 yrs in Samplitude and nothing like that at all!
Old 8th March 2011
TNM
Lives for gear
but it's happened in other hosts on OSX..

which makes me wonder, what if it's nothing to do with logic, but audio drivers of a particular soundcard?

I think we should compile a list or a poll - have you ever had the white noise blast in logic, and for those you vote yes, make a post on their system config and audio card.
Old 8th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackafgano View Post
Where else did it exactly happen to you? Been 6 years on Cubase, 4 yrs in Samplitude and nothing like that at all!
Pro Tools has been mentioned in this thread, and Reaper has been mentioned elsewhere (and perhaps here?) as also having done this under OSX in the same wasy as Logic. Some interaction of core audio, drivers & DAW is all that we can conclude, though it does seem as if this occurs more with Logic (the 512/1024 internal buffer setting for non-live mode tracks maybe?)
Old 8th March 2011
Lives for gear

PT, Logic and Ableton with a Sapphire 6 here.
Old 8th March 2011
Lives for gear

These kind of blasts have never happened to me in Pro Tools v4 till v9 (which you can see I've used for quite sometime...) and never in Nuendo 4 either...
Old 4th April 2011
Gear Head

i know this is a year-old thread, but i've been trying to figure this out since last year too. haven't had the problem too much in recent months, but was tracking a band for the past four days, and had it happen at least half a dozen times. it's really mysterious, but save your money and don't hire a lawyer to sue apple. i'm in a quad-core PC running protools 7.4. i defrag constantly, i've partitioned my internal drives so i'm working in a very small partition. tried everything everyone suggests, and it's still there. i was getting some errors also saying my drive was too full or something, but it's not half full. would be fine after restart, but would creep back. just thought it might be of interest that this thing is cross-platform and not just mac or pc related. must be something!!
Old 13th August 2012
Here for the gear

I am running Mac Os 10.7.4, i7 2.2Ghz, SSD, 8 G RAM, Logic Pro 9, M Box 3 Mini. No Midi interface connected at the moment. It only happens to me sometimes when I open Logic. Normally I have an external Firewire Drive connected and have iTunes, Skype and Firefox open.
Any news on this bug?
Old 1st September 2012
Lives for gear

White noise outbursts here again (Mac Pro 2008 w/ Apogee Ensemble)

It seems to happen at random intervals when I have the screen locked (after 15 min of inactivity). Sometimes in between I hear loud clicks from the Ensemble. I have no idea if this issue comes from the Mac Pro or from the Ensemble.
Old 1st October 2012
Gear Head

Logic Professional Muted Tracks With Sound

Hello,

Does anyone know why Logic Pro does this in the youtube video below? All the tracks in the Arrange window are muted with Buit-in output core audio drivers selected and a terrible random unexpected sound with levels that can damage hearing while wearing headphones is playing back with all the track headers muted. I am using software monitoring producing only with software instrument and midi data and not direct monitoring also. As you will see after the noise is heard I stop and restart playback to prove that this a terrible random unexpected sound with levels that can damage hearing while wearing headphones. Thank you.

The YouTube Video is at Logic Professional Muted Tracks With Sound - YouTube

This terrible random unexpected sound still occurs after following the detailed instructions below to uninstall logic 9 and re-installing Logic Pro 9 and this would continue also with Logic Studio 1.0 with Logic Pro 8 after uninstalling and re-installing it also, which I have done multiple times since early 2010:

Here are the steps I used to uninstall logic 9. I backed up all my channel strip settings, songs, and exs24 library before doing this. I had toe delete all the files first then open terminal and run those commands. Then I copied and had to to delete all that stuff and run all those commands to do a fresh install of logic.
Mac OS X Audio • View topic - Fully uninstall logic studio / Pro

Here is other articles i found that say the same thing

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Logic Pro Help • View topic - Uninstalling Logic Studio

Logic 9 Uninstall 2012 - YouTube
Old 19th November 2012
Gear Nut

I've noticed the same thing happening recently at random intervals following a period of inactivity. I have to restart my computer. I'm working on an iMac (i5) with an apogee duet.
Old 5th April 2013
Here for the gear

I am getting this during playback in repeating intervals of white noise. I only have a single guitar track and midi/Ez drummer running with a handful of plugins (comp/lim/EQ)??

1)Mac Mini late 2012 i7/10.8.2/16GB
2)Logic 9.1.8
3)96K/24 bit/ buffer 128 and tried at 256
6)Thunderbolt 3TB HDD
9)USB interface Line6 TonePort KB37
Old 5th April 2013
Gear Addict

I hate this problem. Does it happen every time? Have you tried disabling certain sets of plugins yet ?
Old 24th April 2013
Here for the gear

This really hurt, seeing as I had earbuds in.

It is triggered when I undo adding Kontakt 5 to a multitimbral track, and then redo adding it to the track

1)computer/o.s./ram
MBPro Octo 2011, Lion 10.7.5
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

2)logic version
9.1.8 64 Bit

3)sample rate/ bit/ buffer
?/64/256

4)instanced plug-ins
Kontakt 5

5)installed plug-ins
Komplete Ultimate 8
EWQL symphonic choirs gold
EWQL symphonic orchestra gold
EWQL SD2
EWQL voices of passion
EWQL pianos gold
EWQL ministry of rock 2
EWQL Goliath
VPS Metrum
VPS Multiband Sidechain
ReFX Nexus 2
Sylenth1
Ohmicide
Computer Music Magazine's free VSTs from issue #55
*None of these are pirated

6)hard drive configuration
?

7)cpu and hd usage at time of incident
50%?

8)any unusual information in your console log under system.log
Not sure...

9)audio/midi interface and connection type(firewire, usb, etc.)
Sony earbuds, usually I use a Line 6 UX2, but I wasn't at the time of the incident.

Thanks. Glad to know I'm not the only one, so maybe Apple is working on it.
Old 24th April 2013
Lives for gear

Never happened to me in more than a decade of using Logic on G4s, G5s, two different 8-core MacPros and one 12-core MacPro, with every plugin and VI I could find.

Perhaps because I've never used a Firewire or USB audio interface; I've ALWAYS used MOTU PCI-based interfaces - three successive revisions of their system, with PCI PowerCore and UAD cards alongside. Never a single white noise blast, failure to find the interface, or any other error or screwup of any kind.

PCI FTW!
Old 24th April 2013
Lives for gear

That's a good point, my Mac Pro is PCIe (RME HDSPe + Multiface II). However my MBP has lowly firewire interfaces that I don't consider 'great' (M-audio 410 & older Focusrite Saffire) and I haven't had this issue there either.
Old 24th April 2013
Lives for gear

I only use Apogee's Symphony System as an interface with a Symphony I/O and AD-16x and DA-16x converters. I have had the white noise issue on numerous occasions in the past and that's with a PCI based interface... 8 core Mac Pro.
Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear

This is not just a logic/osx problem!

I had the terrifying explotion of white noise last week and I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and Pro Tools HD 11.0.2.

My device is Avid Omni + Native PCI. I only have internal drives. Two SSD's and to WD Black drives.
Computer specs are : Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Rev 1.6 | Crucial DDR3 1333MHz 12GB KIT CL9 | six core Socket-LGA1366 I7-970 (3.2Ghz) | Corsair 750W PSU | NVIDIA Quadro FX 580 512MB.

I got it on the end of a short region while tracking a guitar part going directly into the DI/instrument input of my Omni. I was wearing my Sennheiser HD800 when it happened. Yes, i got angry on many levels. First about my hearing, second about my HD800's, and third how can i trust that it wont happen again.

For anyone using Pro Tools and Windows they are welcome to download the
problem session to ckeck if they get the same problem as i have.

The issue also happens during playback when passing the region where i first got the noise during recording. It's on the solo track. Se the picture with the marked region and try to playback just befor it and past it.

The white noise session along with print screen of the session and a recording of the noise can be downloaded from here :
http://dillner.net/pt11/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search