The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to set input level on RME Multiface??
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

How to set input level on RME Multiface??

Hi there,

I'm having some trouble with tracking electric guitar and bass through a tubetech mp1a and into my RME Multiface (mark 1).
There's no output volume on the mp1a, and with the gain all the way down (20), my multiface's dsp-mixer is still getting too much input and is going red, saying "OVR" (meaning "OVER") - if I'm just pushing it a little bit on the bass or guitar...

So... does anybody know if there's some way of adjusting the input level of my multiface...??
(like changing it from - maybe - +4 to -10 db or so)

Cheers
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Change the output level of the device before the Multiface line input.

In your case, as the the Tube Tech has no output level control, you can turn down the input level. If that doesn't get the sound you want, you may have to add a pad or attenuator after the Tube Tech/before the Multiface.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousfun View Post
Change the output level of the device before the Multiface line input.

In your case, as the the Tube Tech has no output level control, you can turn down the input level. If that doesn't get the sound you want, you may have to add a pad or attenuator after the Tube Tech/before the Multiface.
As I said, the input level of the Tubetech is as low as it can be...

I've heard that there is supposed to be a way of changing the input level of the multiface in the dsp mixer...
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Music View Post
Hi there,

I'm having some trouble with tracking electric guitar and bass through a tubetech mp1a and into my RME Multiface (mark 1).
There's no output volume on the mp1a, and with the gain all the way down (20), my multiface's dsp-mixer is still getting too much input and is going red, saying "OVR" (meaning "OVER") - if I'm just pushing it a little bit on the bass or guitar...

So... does anybody know if there's some way of adjusting the input level of my multiface...??
(like changing it from - maybe - +4 to -10 db or so)

Cheers
You have to open your multiface and change places of the internal jumpers inside the multiface 1 . It is easy i did it couple of times .Just find it in the manual and follow the instructions step by step and everything will be fine ,i dont know exactly which page but you will find it .
If you dont have the manualy ,go to RME page and dowload it from there .
Hope this helps

Cheers
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

If you have any questions just hit up the RME forums, the RME staff & forum mods (and other users) are all knowledgeable and frequently around to help. Multiface I will have 2 settings and Multiface II has 3 selectable I believe.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

Solved...

Yeah, it was quite easy...

The Multiface mark 1 has 3 settings - +4, -10 and +19 - and I had to open it and move some jumpers...
So now, with the jumpers set on +19 dB-something, I'm having no trouble recording guitar and bass through the tubetech preamp...

However, I did make som mistakes on the way:
I thought that setting the jumpers for -10 would make the input level 14 db's lower than default (+4)... Note: Must read manual more thoroughly next time...
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have a multiface I here, good to know that it also has 3 settings (I set it about 8 years ago and have forgotten I guess!)
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Music View Post
Yeah, it was quite easy...

The Multiface mark 1 has 3 settings - +4, -10 and +19 - and I had to open it and move some jumpers...
So now, with the jumpers set on +19 dB-something, I'm having no trouble recording guitar and bass through the tubetech preamp...

However, I did make som mistakes on the way:
I thought that setting the jumpers for -10 would make the input level 14 db's lower than default (+4)... Note: Must read manual more thoroughly next time...
I have always battled with gain staging and headroom difficulties running pro gear into my Multiface... With all of my gain staging research I never thought about internal jumper settings. I feel like a complete idiot, but at least now I am a damn happy one! Thanks guys.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear