The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"Tape Booster +" Now Available!!! Mas­ter­ing Plugins
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

"Tape Booster +" Now Available!!!

CDSoundMaster is pleased to present our Newest Program Library for Nebula Commercial!

"Tape Booster +" Now Available!!!
CDSoundMaster.com

"Tape Booster +" allows the user to add several decibels of natural tape saturation to their recordings.
With "R2R-The Essential Analog Tape Collection" loaded, the authenticity from low to medium gain and distortion is unbeatable, and it also works well on its own!

For more information, visit the link above.

You can read the Manual, Listen to Audio Samples and Purchase!

Thanks and God Bless You.
Michael
Old 11th November 2009
SEB
Lives for gear

Heads up guys cause this is IMHO the closest you get to tape these days. And not only tape but GOOD tape. Excellent! If this was 3k I would even hesitate.

Old tape guy...
Old 11th November 2009
I don't get it. Is it a plugin or stand alone
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB View Post
Heads up guys cause this is IMHO the closest you get to tape these days. And not only tape but GOOD tape. Excellent! If this was 3k I would even hesitate.

Old tape guy...
That was quite a claim, wonderful - but I have one question: Are you using these programs alone or as an add on for R2R..?

::
Mads
Old 11th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
Program for nebula.

Acusticaudio
Old 11th November 2009
SEB
Lives for gear

Use with R2R and Nebula.

I`ve tried alot of tape-emulator plugs but I always felt they only add harmonic distortion and more volume/compression, not the colour of tape. This time it puts a smile on my face. Identical? I don`t know, but do I care?...
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post

This is a library for use with Acusticaudio's Nebula (VST).

I'm wondering the best way of using it with R2R.
I'm guessing two instances of Nebula, first on with R2R, second one with Tape Booster +?

Is this right Michael ?

Al
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ive been using Tape Booster arfter an instance of R2R and its sublime

Nothing Ive heard in software touches this combo
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

Yes, that is correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post
This is a library for use with Acusticaudio's Nebula (VST).

I'm wondering the best way of using it with R2R.
I'm guessing two instances of Nebula, first on with R2R, second one with Tape Booster +?

Is this right Michael ?

Al
Old 11th November 2009
with much respect to the Nebula-project.

it doesnt do it for me. high latency, CPU hungry as hell and some sort feels like sampletank XL. overloaded, slow and unfriendly

I will try listen to the samples of course.
Old 11th November 2009
SEB
Lives for gear

win7 64 with i7 I`m running more than enough Nebula samples.
Old 11th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post

it doesnt do it for me. high latency, CPU hungry as hell and some sort feels like sampletank XL. overloaded, slow and unfriendly

fair enough. but looks arent everything - its the processing engine technology that counts. This is a mix tool not a Virtual instrument so latency less important.
IMHO the downsides are worth it for the sound. Plus its great value-considering how close some of the programs are to hardware.

However - soon there will be more freindly versions of this technology and many of the usual complaints will dissolve into a reduction of praise.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post

a few important points worth mentioning and for "people just checking it out very briefly":

1. You can use Nebula Reverb (alot latency but barely CPU) or
2. you can change latency (so the CPU aswell) on regular AND the Neb-Reverb
3. you can use a different skin (I think it's really important and changed my "relationship" to nebula alot!...i couldn't stand the basic GUI)

ONCE you get a little into it, no more distracted by flashy vintage designs, it can be quiet simple...at least for settings...
and not to mention (yes, as so many others!) the sound of EQ's, tapes, pre's etc...simply amazing! different league than "plugins"

my 2 ¢

p.s. unfortunetaly i haven't tried R2R or the new tape booster YET but i am more than sure it will sound fantastic (as almost everything i have inside nebula!)
Old 11th November 2009
cool. thank you very much.

I am more into "try and forget or use". I normally don't invest weeks investigating. hehthumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
a few important points worth mentioning and for "people just checking it out very briefly":

3. you can use a different skin (I think it's really important and changed my "relationship" to nebula alot!...i couldn't stand the basic GUI)

ONCE you get a little into it, no more distracted by flashy vintage designs, it can be quiet simple...at least for settings...
and not to mention (yes, as so many others!) the sound of EQ's, tapes, pre's etc...simply amazing! different league than "plugins"

my 2 ¢

p.s. unfortunetaly i haven't tried R2R or the new tape booster YET but i am more than sure it will sound fantastic (as almost everything i have inside nebula!)
Old 11th November 2009
To "learn" nebula is rather finding the righ preset for the right sound, rather than the ordinary tweaking of plugins till it sounds good.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post

my 2 ¢

The lowest latency you can get I found is 1024 with full quality. When you start stacking these in a project it can get unbareable. Memory is a major issue too. You can use something like jbridge to get around 32 bit systems but that again will add to the latency. I have been waffling wanting to use it at all because of these things. It's very nice stuff but the drawbacks are pretty big.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Smile

NObula, for me thanx.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm a Nebula user, although recently I've found to improve my work flow I use it mainly in mastering my own songs. This is technology for the future and for 64bit machines with a lot of RAM. Within a few years most people will have these machines and this aspect will be mute..on to the Tape Booster + plugin...
I have to fess that I dont have R2R yet but I was intruiged to try it as the audio examples were immense, this thing works well at on its own. I have been particularly impressed with its ability to add percieved volume without affecting transients or punch. I created a rough master using 3 instances of TapeBooster and a limiter, and one with just the limiter. I matched the loudness. It was pretty clear to me that the Tapebooster version had more of punch, lowend and clarity but it was evident from viewing the wavs in Soundforge there was more dynamics to the TapeBoost version left, whilst the peaks of the limiter only version was square-waved..
This is incredible value for money......
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by farjedi View Post
I'm a Nebula user, although recently I've found to improve my work flow I use it mainly in mastering my own songs. This is technology for the future and for 64bit machines with a lot of RAM. Within a few years most people will have these machines and this aspect will be mute..on to the Tape Booster + plugin...
I have to fess that I dont have R2R yet but I was intruiged to try it as the audio examples were immense, this thing works well at on its own. I have been particularly impressed with its ability to add percieved volume without affecting transients or punch. I created a rough master using 3 instances of TapeBooster and a limiter, and one with just the limiter. I matched the loudness. It was pretty clear to me that the Tapebooster version had more of punch, lowend and clarity but it was evident from viewing the wavs in Soundforge there was more dynamics to the TapeBoost version left, whilst the peaks of the limiter only version was square-waved..
This is incredible value for money......
So you used Tape Booster only or together with R2R?

I simply want to know what to expect if I get Tape Booster alone to begin with.

Since I can't really demo the R2R fully without buying it, it's simply too expensive to go for, without knowing exactly what I get; how useful it would actually be for me.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Are we ever gonna see this on Mac?
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydpik View Post
nebula exists for mac since months! unfortunately it's still called beta and therefor not offered on their start page/downloads. but you can already buy and use it! for that i'd just email them for further instructions....
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydpik View Post
Check out post 419 on the following thread:

Anyone tried Nebula?

It's the process you have to follow to buy Nebula for Mac.

There's also a link to the Acusticaudio OSX thread.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post
Check out post 419 on the folowing thread:

Anyone tried Nebula?

It's the process you have to follow to but Nebula for Mac.

There's also a link to the Acusticaudio OSX thread.
OK thanks for the info.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
So you used Tape Booster only or together with R2R?

I simply want to know what to expect if I get Tape Booster alone to begin with.

Since I can't really demo the R2R fully without buying it, it's simply too expensive to go for, without knowing exactly what I get; how useful it would actually be for me.
No I don't have R2R yet, I'm in the same boat. But I was interested to try it on it's own and in boosting a demo I'd made I discovered that it is incredibly usefull for mastering and much better sounding than a limiter on it's own. In this case I used 3 of the 44.1khz +2db program and each instance boosted the percieved level without changing the peak and, as I can testify, without destroying the transients and dynamics. Try gaining an extra 6db out of a limiter and you get the familiar square wave.
So expect to be able to master your own tracks, if you do that, that will sound better than they did before.
In terms of using this as a saturator, this side of it is still very 'Nebula', no offense to anyone, it's still revolutionary in sound quality. Bare in mind TapeBooster is designed to interact with R2R, but TapeBooster on it's own is capable of getting nice saturation but the Nebula part is you either have to have 8 of these open or render the audio through it until you hear what your after. So far I've only experimented running kick and snare through it rendering 4 or 5 times but I was very impressed with the richness of the saturation, there is nothing fony about it, it sounds warm and natural. This is without R2R, which is supposed to take it into the next level.
Read the thread on Acusticaudio entitled 'R2R HI Gain Presets' where Michael, the creator, explains it's workings better than I can....cheers..
Old 12th November 2009
bee
Lives for gear

Listening to the samples I'm rather impressed.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by farjedi View Post
No I don't have R2R yet, I'm in the same boat. But I was interested to try it on it's own and in boosting a demo I'd made I discovered that it is incredibly usefull for mastering and much better sounding than a limiter on it's own. In this case I used 3 of the 44.1khz +2db program and each instance boosted the percieved level without changing the peak and, as I can testify, without destroying the transients and dynamics. Try gaining an extra 6db out of a limiter and you get the familiar square wave.
So expect to be able to master your own tracks, if you do that, that will sound better than they did before.
In terms of using this as a saturator, this side of it is still very 'Nebula', no offense to anyone, it's still revolutionary in sound quality. Bare in mind TapeBooster is designed to interact with R2R, but TapeBooster on it's own is capable of getting nice saturation but the Nebula part is you either have to have 8 of these open or render the audio through it until you hear what your after. So far I've only experimented running kick and snare through it rendering 4 or 5 times but I was very impressed with the richness of the saturation, there is nothing fony about it, it sounds warm and natural. This is without R2R, which is supposed to take it into the next level.
Read the thread on Acusticaudio entitled 'R2R HI Gain Presets' where Michael, the creator, explains it's workings better than I can....cheers..
Thanks for explaining, I might go for the tape booster... alone
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Strange, no sound when I hit play on the sample player. I'm on MacBook. Anyone else experienced that?
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

heard the samples and thought it sounded great

then i read it was for Nebula

damnit

nebula :
- terrible website
- terrible UI with billions of numbers everywhere
- terrible latency
- terrible cpu usage
- annoying library system
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdrummer View Post
heard the samples and thought it sounded great

then i read it was for Nebula

damnit

nebula :
- terrible website
- terrible UI with billions of numbers everywhere
- terrible latency
- terrible cpu usage
- annoying library system
Although you may be right on some points, cpu isn't as bad as you may think with Nebula Pro, i almost always run out of memory before that happens, an average sampled eq may take 6% or something. But yes it is annoying that rendering has to happen in order to use on every track but that's progress for you, computing will catch up and Nebula will be a force to reckon with, IMO...
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Although you may be right on some points, cpu isn't as bad as you may think with Nebula Pro, i almost always run out of memory before that happens, an average sampled eq may take 6% or something. But yes it is annoying that rendering has to happen in order to use on every track but that's progress for you, computing will catch up and Nebula will be a force to reckon with, IMO...
Plus, Reaper's own batch render here for rescue!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search