The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"Tape Booster +" Now Available!!! Mas­ter­ing Plugins
Old 12th November 2009
  #31
Wow those tape booster samples sound great!

I will definitely pick these up.

I only wish the R2R library was not so expensive. I cant help but think these CDSoundmaster products would be more popular if instead of building these 'mega archive libraries' like the R2R and Vintage Tubes...they were smaller and cheaper. Or there were 'lite versions'. No doubt they are reasonable value for money and a lot of work goes in-but I question whether many users want so much choice.

Ive heard so many users commenting on the overwhelming number of programs in those collections. Im my mind I am a musician looking for effective solutions - not a museum looking for an archive of 100s of possibilities to get bogged down in...

It seems a strange decision given the other 3rd party Nebula library developers are much cheaper - and given the fact that at the moment Nebula is still largely most popular with a lower end user...
Old 12th November 2009
  #32
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
No doubt they are reasonable value for money and a lot of work goes in-but I question whether many users want so much choice.
thumbsup
Old 12th November 2009
  #33
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Yeah it was overpriced. And I am slightly annoyed that I shelled out $100 for R2R and then have to pay another $29 for the "upgrade". Haven't decided if I am yet. In fact I am still waffling that Nebula is even worth it. They way I work is that I mix and compose live directly off vstis so rendering is not an easy option. I think to keep things easily editable.
Old 12th November 2009
  #34
Gear Nut
 

I want to thank everyone for their comments in this thread.

It seems there are several different topics going on, so let me address some things.

First of all, Tape Booster + is not an 'upgrade' to R2R.

R2R is the same authentic Studer, Otari, Revox, and other machines at 15 and 30 IPS etc. Tape Booster + is its own unique plug-in library. It works well with R2R and enhances volume authentically when added to R2R machines. But, if you are not interested in adding extra gain and volume that sounds and acts like true tape gain at additional levels, there is nothing at all that has been subtracted from the quality or value of R2R, and it isn't a necessity to buy Tape Booster +. Rather it is an enhancement, and works nicely on its own as well.

Tape Booster + costs $39. I take $10 off for any previous customer. Relative to anything remotely comparable, this seems fair. Not only fair, but I could not afford to release it or anything else if I did not earn something for the time invested.

About the cost/value. It amazes me sometimes. I suppose in a market like this, there will always be freeware, shareware, cheap, mid-budget, expensive, and too expensive. I look at what I produce as $39 equaling roughly $149 of what a larger developer would charge at minimum. This is not because I think less of what I produce, but because I think the 'bigger guys' charge too much and often fall short on expectations.

When it came to R2R, I would imagine that anything close in competition would charge $299 for one machine. My thinking, other than the fact that it cost a great deal of time and money, is that a room full of Otari's, Studer's, and consumer favorites and vintage treats would easily be worth 3 times what I've asked, and although I've been asked about a 'lite' or LE version, I am certain that each user is going to find their favorite settings, programs, tape formulas, and at least 2 different machines. Anything short of a full spectrum to choose from just seems to me selling someone short. I don't know why a user would want to be sold short? I suppose it is the same reason that someone will gladly spend $149 for a very fake sounding tube emulator but feel $99 for $60,000 worth of reel to reels, REAL reel to reels, is expensive.

Other developers may charge less than R2R for a single eq with multiple settings, a single console with multiple stages, etc. I've provided Retro for $39 and The Producer's Pack for $29. Tape Booster + is only $39. If someone releases something for even less they have that option. I don't like the idea of anyone that works as hard as myself and others at the tedious sampling process underselling what they do. But, ultimately, I believe that I compare quality only to my own results, holding a very high standard, and hope that this allows people to feel that they have received a lot more value and quality than large developers that perhaps are less intimately interested in the sound of their products.

What I hope, for those that feel something like Vintage Tubes or R2R is a bit overwhelming, is that the user truly think about what it is that they have sitting there in their DAW. Imagine what it is that they have, evalutate, listen, pick some favorites, and stick with what they like best. This is what I did, what I do, and I think of these like a kid in a candy store. If after evaluating different models, someone likes a Mullard at 5k distortion for guitar and Bugle Boys for drums, and a Radiotechnique for bass, then they can always "save as" inside Nebula, name it what they want, and make a category of just their favorites. That way, for a very inexpensive price, they can place their favorites wherever they wish without having to even see the extras, which are there if the user wishes to revisit at a later date. A single NOS Blackburn Mullard long plate easily can sell for double the cost of the Vintage Tube Collection. With R2R, the same goes. Every producer will lean towards a specific sound from a specific machine and tape, and gain. You have the tools in front of you for the cost I paid for one batch of tape.

Things that come up from anti-Nebula folks usually relates to cpu and latency. Then, Mac, and the Website. I've never known anyone that works as tirelessly, consistently, and remaining as level-headed, talented, and immediately responsive to customers as Giancarlo. If there is something that can be changed and improved, or a bug fixed, it will happen and it usually happens that day. We've been working on the new website, addressing specific issues that have been discussed in the past. CPU has been improved 23% over the last year in NebPro. Most people have doubled their memory and processing in the last year as well. I personally still use a dual core and need more ram for my DAW's, but I have no issues loading up a few Neb's and processing. Can I get more isntances from other emu plug's? Sure, but I would never sacrifice the sound for a couple of seconds or minutes of processing time. When I track with R2R, it would take me the entire track length real time to put it on tape for a client. This takes 30 seconds! It is all relative I think. Eventually, processing will be much less of an issue, as it has gone that way from the start.

I think every issue that someone deals with hands on is a valid issue. I think that one specifically with Nebula that is annoying is the time it takes for some functions to move, depending on the amount of processing occurring. Still, this has improved a great deal.

The Library issue with Nebula, I dunno- I think it is incredibly cool to be able to add whatever specifically tailors a plug-in to your needs, providing real racks of real hardware.

Again, I truly appreciate what everyone has to say. I know Nebula isn't for everyone, and I know my programs won't appeal to everyone. I understand the reasons people have issues with Nebula and I hope that they all become a thing of the past, as it is always improving. I think the value to the hobbyist as well as the professional, is phenominal, and the value and quality, is something that does not come along very often. I'm very glad that it exists!
Old 12th November 2009
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Never1's Avatar
 

Bought it before I was aware there was a 10$ discount :(

Not that it's a lot of money, but hey.

Any chance for a 10$ refund?

Anyways, tried it briefly as I'm out sick, today, but it does go very well with the R2R library. In my opinion, based on 10 minutes with the plug, it's a winner!

Finally, real honest to goodness tape emulation and saturation ITB.
Old 12th November 2009
  #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsoundmaster View Post
I want to thank everyone for their comments in this thread.


Tape Booster + costs $39. I take $10 off for any previous customer. Relative to anything remotely comparable, this seems fair. Not only fair, but I could not afford to release it or anything else if I did not earn something for the time invested.

About the cost/value. It amazes me sometimes. I suppose in a market like this, there will always be freeware, shareware, cheap, mid-budget, expensive, and too expensive. I look at what I produce as $39 equaling roughly $149 of what a larger developer would charge at minimum. This is not because I think less of what I produce, but because I think the 'bigger guys' charge too much and often fall short on expectations.

When it came to R2R, I would imagine that anything close in competition would charge $299 for one machine. My thinking, other than the fact that it cost a great deal of time and money, is that a room full of Otari's, Studer's, and consumer favorites and vintage treats would easily be worth 3 times what I've asked, and although I've been asked about a 'lite' or LE version, I am certain that each user is going to find their favorite settings, programs, tape formulas, and at least 2 different machines. Anything short of a full spectrum to choose from just seems to me selling someone short. I don't know why a user would want to be sold short? I suppose it is the same reason that someone will gladly spend $149 for a very fake sounding tube emulator but feel $99 for $60,000 worth of reel to reels, REAL reel to reels, is expensive.

Other developers may charge less than R2R for a single eq with multiple settings, a single console with multiple stages, etc. I've provided Retro for $39 and The Producer's Pack for $29. Tape Booster + is only $39. If someone releases something for even less they have that option. I don't like the idea of anyone that works as hard as myself and others at the tedious sampling process underselling what they do. But, ultimately, I believe that I compare quality only to my own results, holding a very high standard, and hope that this allows people to feel that they have received a lot more value and quality than large developers that perhaps are less intimately interested in the sound of their products.
I think the other packs are reasonable value and its clear that a lot of love goes into them. My point was that it seems for the vintage tube and R2R are priced significantly higher than all other commercial Nebula libraries - and combined with the fact that they are very extensive - it seems to make sense to offer smaller versions, possibly with the option to upgrade. Thats just my opinion. Im not asking to pull the prices down.
The argument that other developers make more expensive plugins does not really make sense to me as surely that is a different market because these are libraries for a plugin made by Acustica Audio.

I know Im sounding a little outspoken-and I will say I respect the excellent work of Michael in the Nebula community. This is in part the frustration of someone who would like to own some of these collections - but not at their current prices. I will likely buy AlexB or analogueinthebox programs first. I suspect others may also - hence why it seems relevant to make this case. I think CD Soundmaster may be loosing money with this pricing strategy given the current Nebula market.
Old 12th November 2009
  #37
SEB
Lives for gear
 

Man, these guys are giving away great work for pocket change and you giuys are still complaining. An ugrade path for a pluginlibrary at this pricerange?? - it would never be worth the extra hassle.
Old 13th November 2009
  #38
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

No biggies. Just seems kind of odd to spending more on a "program" than the actual software that runs it, which I am sure they have spent way more time on Nebula than they did on R2R. I bought R2R because it was proported to be a tape emulation, now this new product which is another tape emulation. I just didn't realize I would be buying the different aspects of tape emulation separately. heh That being said I will still probably buy it.
Old 13th November 2009
  #39
Gear Nut
 

Swan, Animus...

I understand what you are saying and your points are valid, but I don't think that the relative consideration of the cost of a 'program' versus the software that runs it makes sense. Without a program, Nebula doesn't do anything. Everything that Nebula does and implements, is there so that it CAN do what the programs offer. It isn't like selling a preset bank for a synthesizer or settings for a Line6box. Sampling, testing, editing takes weeks, and it is real equipment. Tape machines cost money, tape costs money, tubes cost money, converters cost money, and time is money. Having said all of that, there still isn't a collection that costs more than 79 euro. And, I will continue to create valuable free programs for everyone as well.

R2R and Tape Booster + are two completely different things. Yes, they compliment each other. Yes, they work together to provide a joint-effort in providing something that was not possible in Nebula before. Tape Booster + is the result of something that people have been asking for ever since R2R came out. So, I've spent countless hours looking for a way to make it happen.

I do understand your point in comparing prices to other developers, but I still believe it is relevant and consistent, as Nebula is a plug-in, and the commercial programs that it runs compete with, and often outperform, the plug-ins that it is compared to. Nebula as a reverb effect, Nebula as an eq, Nebula as other effects, are all fair comparisons to any vst that someone may choose to place in that effects slot instead of Nebula.

I would definitely encourage buying the AlexB and AnalogInTheBox programs, as they are excellent and a crazy good deal. Whether they are programs for a plug-in or their own plug-ins, you won't find many options that sound better.

I appreciate you and perhaps there will be future choices that appeal to you at the price point that works best.
Old 13th November 2009
  #40
Gear Nut
 

Thanks!
As far as the discount- please send me private message with your email and I'll take care of it. Sometimes emails don't get through to previous customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never1 View Post
Bought it before I was aware there was a 10$ discount :(

Not that it's a lot of money, but hey.

Any chance for a 10$ refund?

Anyways, tried it briefly as I'm out sick, today, but it does go very well with the R2R library. In my opinion, based on 10 minutes with the plug, it's a winner!

Finally, real honest to goodness tape emulation and saturation ITB.
Old 13th November 2009
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsoundmaster View Post
Swan, Animus...

I understand what you are saying and your points are valid, but I don't think that the relative consideration of the cost of a 'program' versus the software that runs it makes sense. Without a program, Nebula doesn't do anything. Everything that Nebula does and implements, is there so that it CAN do what the programs offer. It isn't like selling a preset bank for a synthesizer or settings for a Line6box. Sampling, testing, editing takes weeks, and it is real equipment. Tape machines cost money, tape costs money, tubes cost money, converters cost money, and time is money. Having said all of that, there still isn't a collection that costs more than 79 euro. And, I will continue to create valuable free programs for everyone as well.

I would definitely encourage buying the AlexB and AnalogInTheBox programs, as they are excellent and a crazy good deal. Whether they are programs for a plug-in or their own plug-ins, you won't find many options that sound better.

I appreciate you and perhaps there will be future choices that appeal to you at the price point that works best.
fair enough Michael. I appreciate in some respects it is unfortunate for you Velinas and to a lesser extent AlexB chose to price their programs the way they did. And that the Nebula community are used to getting a lot for a little. I appreciate you put a lot of time into your programs - and I dont by any stretch think they are overpriced - its clear the hassle and costs that are needed to produce these to a high standard. I will also say that people like you who are making the effort to produce these high end libraries are clearly an very important arm in the development of the Nebula story.

As Ive said from the start I just think its a shame that for the Vintage Tubes and R2R there isnt a small version because of the higher cost (compared to the current Nebula library market) and the somewhat overwhelming size. For example I do not feel the need for 8 different tape machine types - its the principle here not so much the money. I really dislike wastage and owning expensive products I do not use half of.. A simple 'mastering clean' 'Mixing medium colour' and 'Mix/effect heavy colour' - example would suit. Ditto with Tubes.

However this will not stop me purchasing some of the lower priced libraries like the Tape +, and I have now finally said my piece on this issue.
Old 13th November 2009
  #42
Gear Maniac
 
Nick Laho's Avatar
 

I think they should sell their technology to someone who knows how to make a professional product.
Old 13th November 2009
  #43
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarron_D View Post
I think they should sell their technology to someone who knows how to make a professional product.

Surely you mean "Market" a professional product. The guys behind Nebula are really pushing the boundaries and I think you're selling them a little short.
When it's finished (and when every DAW is 64 bit) then they can slap a nice GUI on it and make everybody happy.

Until then I think we've got to let them get on with it.

.....

As for the R2R and Booster libraries ....I reckon they're cheap,

and I reckon making a smaller library would kind of defeat the object.

I'm coming round to the idea that you have to find the right program for the source with Nebula, and big libraries lend themselves to this. You can always go crazy deleting stuff in your own time.

I can't image what a monumental pain in the arse sampling all those tape machines was.

better you than me Michael !

heh
Old 13th November 2009
  #44
Gear Maniac
 

Not sure why you guys are finding fault as if this had the name "Waves" or "UAD" on the front it would cost much more, especially if it was "Waves". This is the only plug that made me choose software over hi end hardware. Nebula EQ + all the pres and other stuff £120 vs API 5500 £2200 & Arsenal Audio R24 £900. For mastering @ 96k I could only tell the difference on extreme low end boosts, the pres and other stuff is a very welcome bonus, bargin imo
I have a revox that hums @ 50z likes crazy, ill be checking this out and the Revox will be on Ebay if this is as good as the other stuff.
Old 13th November 2009
  #45
Lives for gear
 
farjedi's Avatar
 

I think people need to realise what Micheal has done with this latest offering, his research and knowledge is truly bringing analog sound into the box. Support and pray that Nebula doesn't sell out and make this technology unaffordable for the majority of people because things are only going to get better and more usable and more and more people will realise this is the best in digital sound...
I think I'm going to buy myself R2R as a christmas present..
Old 13th November 2009
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Farshad's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I only wish the R2R library was not so expensive.
+ 1000. totally agree.

Maybe a group buy for R2R is in order.

Michael?
Old 13th November 2009
  #47
Lives for gear
 
miro's Avatar
 

seems that many people are spoiled from getting that many free libraries shipped with nebula + other free and/or cheap libraries. as mentioned above, if "waves" would be the ones doing this NOBODY would ever talk about their price (which would be 3-4 times as high) and just buy it, rave about it and justify the price with the quality and the vintage style GUI (and of course...because it would be WAVES...oh wow!...OBEY people!)

besides the work michael has, WHY should he sell his product for 40$???
NOBODY asks why XXXX software compressor costs 350$ and purchrases it the day it comes out because everyone does so...

I haven't read ONCE why that recently discussed/released valve CPU killer plugin costs 149$, not once! no, everyone was even like: well, it's good...price is fair....not to mention the nonstop complaints about nebula's CPU (i remember i could barely open ONE instance of that valve plugin...oh but yes, you're right...it's complex high quality processing, so it's ok to open one instance to bring the computer on its knees )

what's wrong with you people!?

even if nebula has a sort of "community" and 3rd party developers seem like your pals in a way: it is BUSINESS aswell!!! and they surely like to expand...give them a chance damn it and stop complaining!


Old 13th November 2009
  #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyB View Post
Not sure why you guys are finding fault as if this had the name "Waves" or "UAD" on the front it would cost much more, especially if it was "Waves". This is the only plug that made me choose software over hi end hardware. Nebula EQ + all the pres and other stuff £120 vs API 5500 £2200 & Arsenal Audio R24 £900. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post

besides the work michael has, WHY should he sell his product for 40$???
NOBODY asks why XXXX software compressor costs 350$ and purchrases it the day it comes out because everyone does so...

what's wrong with you people!?

even if nebula has a sort of "community" and 3rd party developers seem like your pals in a way: it is BUSINESS aswell!!! and they surely like to expand...give them a chance damn it and stop complaining!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I dont by any stretch think they are overpriced
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
As Ive said from the start I just think its a shame that for the Vintage Tubes and R2R there isnt a small version because of the higher cost (compared to the current Nebula library market) and the somewhat overwhelming size.
please read
Old 13th November 2009
  #49
Lives for gear
 
Never1's Avatar
 

Exclamation

In no way was I complaining about the price. I never questioned why no discount was offered (apparently I missed the email, as there WAS a discount). Michael gladly reimbursed 10$ on my purchase.

That said, after spending more time with it, 40$ is a steal!

Michael should bundle it with his R2R library (with this slight 10$ discount), because IMO they need to be together.

Like I said earlier, we finally have tape sound and saturation, ITB, and it sounds about as real as it gets, with tape booster +. YMMV
Old 13th November 2009
  #50
Lives for gear
 
miro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
please read
wasn't really against you or never1 specifically more a summ of general reactions here on GS...so please, nothing personal
Old 13th November 2009
  #51
Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
wasn't really against you or never1 specifically more a summ of general reactions here on GS...so please, nothing personal
Old 21st November 2009
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Hannes_F's Avatar
 

People, the R2R collection and Tape Booster + are simply awesome! Nothing else like that.

Sorry I just desired to say that again. Cheers.
Old 9th October 2010
  #53
Lives for gear
 
miro's Avatar
 

Getting this thread back up, just to say how great TB+ is!!!
Nothing comparable in saturation plugin land!
Old 9th October 2010
  #54
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
Getting this thread back up, just to say how great TB+ is!!!
Nothing comparable in saturation plugin land!
so true!
Old 9th October 2010
  #55
Lives for gear
 
farjedi's Avatar
 

Been waiting for part 3 for sooo long..heh
Old 9th October 2010
  #56
Gear Addict
 
B-sharp's Avatar
 

Is there really going to be a part three? ....what would it be?
Old 9th October 2010
  #57
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
with much respect to the Nebula-project.

it doesnt do it for me. high latency, CPU hungry as hell and some sort feels like sampletank XL. overloaded, slow and unfriendly

I will try listen to the samples of course.
I don't get it? Is it 20ms of latency really that much? What kind of CPU you have? I mean UAD and Powercore has the same maybe few ms more or less.

In case you don't know how to setup Nebula to that latency drop me a PM and i'll help you..
Old 9th October 2010
  #58
Lives for gear
 
miro's Avatar
 

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
I don't get it? Is it 20ms of latency really that much? What kind of CPU you have? I mean UAD and Powercore has the same maybe few ms more or less.

In case you don't know how to setup Nebula to that latency drop me a PM and i'll help you..
Some people simply don't get along with it, for whatever reasons (design, concept, taste, image, reputation, workflow, sex appeal and so on)

I think George's one of the guys that does not like Nebula and will never find out what it's all about...

(when he wrote that, I PM'd him already, offering help...) Trying to convince people is destined to fail.



TB+ rules!
Old 9th October 2010
  #59
Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
Getting this thread back up, just to say how great TB+ is!!!
Nothing comparable in saturation plugin land!
Word. I never mix without it anymore Akai on guitars = Love!!! and the Studer are just perfect for tracking/mixing

/Jon
Old 9th October 2010
  #60
Lives for gear
Knowing that every release from CDSoundmaster is kind a "no-brainer" deal - i am starting to save some money for Tape +
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
thethrillfactor / So much gear, so little time
71
thecementmachine / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
1
friscojack / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump