The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Duende: Really SSL console ITB?
Old 10th November 2009
  #1
SSL Duende: Really SSL console ITB?

Can someone explain in 100 words or less if the SSL Duende really provides console quality mixing ITB?

My understanding is that it is essentially 32 (or 128) channel strips that go in the channel inserts of every track of your hosts mixer. Also a mastering compressor that you put in the master bus. . But you are still dealing with the host applications audio and mix engine. ..so how does this provide SSL quality console?? Does it bypass the mix engine? (Perhaps channel sends go to the SSL mixer and return through an aux bus, or some scheme like that, thus bypassing the host mixer? If so, that would be intriquing.)

Also, I saw the youtube video of v3, that says it leverages the host processor for its tasks. Doesnt that negate the benefit of an external hardware unit?

This thing looks amazing, but unless it bypasses the host's mix engine, we are talking about quality software plug-ins without any real way to demo them. I have wanted one of these for a while, it looks oh so cool, but my rational side says this is a gadget that doesnt fully deliver on the promise.

I am trying to separate the marketing hype from the real utility of this unit. I am a Samplitude user.
Old 10th November 2009
  #2
Gear Head
 

Hi, I got the Duende and it's the best set of tools I've got to work with I think. The plugs work as usual VST/AU's so you use them as any other plugs you got, and you can mix and match them with other plugs. The SSL console argument is basically the EQ, Dynamics and the Master Compressor that makes the "standard" package. You'll still use the mix bus in Samplitude.

Duende used to be DSP run, but is "hybrid" now. Some processing takes place at the DSP cards (SSL says so), but to keep latency down V3 works as normal native plugs. I think they are one of the best tools available to work with, so I'm pretty confident that you'll be happy. The tools are there, so it's more down to you to "master" them. You can get great results with a lot of plugs, but I personally like them a lot. They tend to make everything very "forward" and in-your-face, so a lot of people prefer Neve. It's just a matter of taste!
Old 10th November 2009
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Sam View Post
Hi, I got the Duende and it's the best set of tools I've got to work with I think. The plugs work as usual VST/AU's so you use them as any other plugs you got, and you can mix and match them with other plugs. The SSL console argument is basically the EQ, Dynamics and the Master Compressor that makes the "standard" package. You'll still use the mix bus in Samplitude.

Duende used to be DSP run, but is "hybrid" now. Some processing takes place at the DSP cards (SSL says so), but to keep latency down V3 works as normal native plugs. I think they are one of the best tools available to work with, so I'm pretty confident that you'll be happy. The tools are there, so it's more down to you to "master" them. You can get great results with a lot of plugs, but I personally like them a lot. They tend to make everything very "forward" and in-your-face, so a lot of people prefer Neve. It's just a matter of taste!
Thanks,
I wish there was a way to demo them.


What someone really out to do, is like I suggest: Use the channel sends of the host app to send out to a VST, hardware based mix environment. It would have its own mixer app, which coul run pre-or post vsts. Complelty bypass th hosts mixer, not unlike having a massive array of I/O, except not having to deal with all the conversions.
Old 10th November 2009
  #4
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnAMission View Post
Thanks,
I wish there was a way to demo them.


What someone really out to do, is like I suggest: Use the channel sends of the host app to send out to a VST, hardware based mix environment. It would have its own mixer app, which coul run pre-or post vsts. Complelty bypass th hosts mixer, not unlike having a massive array of I/O, except not having to deal with all the conversions.
but this would serve absolutely no purpose at all.
Old 10th November 2009
  #5
Solid State Logic
 
Jim@SSL's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnAMission View Post
Thanks,

What someone really out to do, is like I suggest: Use the channel sends of the host app to send out to a VST, hardware based mix environment. It would have its own mixer app, which coul run pre-or post vsts. Complelty bypass th hosts mixer, not unlike having a massive array of I/O, except not having to deal with all the conversions.
You mean like an SSL MX4 card?
Old 10th November 2009
  #6
Gear Head
 

Just saw that! MX4 seems very cool.
Old 11th November 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
everythinglouder's Avatar
I have had, and sold, an SSL Duende. Is it really like an SSL console ITB? In my opinion, not nearly -- at least sound-wise.

If you have a lot of experience working on an SSL console, then workflow-wise, you should feel very much at home. But I don't think there is much of an "analog" sound going on with the Duende. I was most disappointed with how similar the EQ sounds to any other digital EQ. And just as I initially suspected, the EQ nulls perfectly with the Cubase and Logic stock plug-ins.

Yes, you'd still be using the the Samplitude mix engine. You're getting very little saturation/harmonic distortion out of the Duende.

You'll likely hear a lot of opposing opinions to mine. They're all valid. And there's no denying that the SSL workflow is right there. IMO you should look into Nebula and the SSL console programs for that (Classic Logic Console). You can A/B a mix done with and without the Nebula SSL programs. The demo was made using fairly minimal drive (saturation) settings, but even so you'll still probably notice a pleasant difference.
Acusticaudio
AlexB Nebula Libraries - CLC
Old 11th November 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
DSpec1's Avatar
 

I will tell you this after owning the Duende for over a year. It is an indispensible mxiing tool.

My experience was that duende often recieves a very bad rap. It is a fantastic-sounding product. The Channel Strip, which is included with Duende, gives the true sound of an SSL console.

The only plug i don't have now is X Verb.

With V3, I have actually inserted and tracked with the Channel Strip and experiences no problems.

During mixing, if you insert a channel strip every channel and the Bus Compressor on the master, you WILL experience SSL nirvana. Open, clear and crisp or as warm as you wish.

I own two SSL Mynx bundles and thought the Duende would be expendable. Nope. I love them both.

Old 11th November 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You mean like an SSL MX4 card?
I don't see that the MX4 works as a Duende PCI...it appears just to be a MADI XTreme 128 with some Duende-like plugs added to the DSP mixer. Which is too bad, since if I got a free 128 channels worth of Duende with the MX4 it would sweeten the pot considerably.

The ideal thing I think would be to have the same plugins run on the i/o card or native depending on whether the track is input monitor enabled.
Old 11th November 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 

with the duende i have find the sound to be clean but not sterile, the sound has it s caractere, on the clean side, i like that insteed of plugins with fake sounding color ,warmth and all that
Old 11th November 2009
  #11
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract View Post
with the duende i have find the sound to be clean but not sterile, the sound has it s caractere, on the clean side, i like that insteed of plugins with fake sounding color ,warmth and all that
....??? this is an odd thread. They ARE plugins - it's a DSP system. A very very good one and one I like a lot. But it's still plugins.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 198 views: 29780
Avatar for dream
dream 7th April 2010
replies: 98 views: 17337
Avatar for Johanz
Johanz 16th November 2011
replies: 9 views: 1515
Avatar for Mellow dee
Mellow dee 31st January 2011
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump