The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Record with the I/O plugin logic Latency
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Record with the I/O plugin logic Latency

Hi everybody
I've finally got my outboard comps working in logic 9 with the wonderfull I/O plugin, and now I've found a setting I like so I wanna record my Leadvoc with the I/O plug onto another track...
I've pinged the track and while recording/listening everything is okay, but when I listen to the recorded track there is a latency/time problem.
Take lot at my Recording delay pref, my I/O plugin setting, my leadvoc track with some UAD plugs on it and of course the I/O plugin.
What am I doing wrong here?
Attached Thumbnails
Record with the I/O plugin logic Latency-i-o-problem.jpg  
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

I would track through a hardware compressor direct analog...i.e. the output of the preamp would be routed or at least multed to the compressor (true zero latency) and that brought in perhaps on a parallel track. I see you want to apply plugin eqs first and then your comp...but if you're going that far I'd probably just leave that to mixing. I would use analog for the entire tracking chain.

What you are trying to do is one of the benefits of DSP co-located with i/o, as is seen on the Metric Halo 2D system or Pro Tools HD. Even then the latency will not be zero, it can't be, because converters have intrinsic latency. If the DAW corrects for that latency properly then that's good. Otherwise you will have to manually phase align the tracks after printing (not terribly hard to do, zoom in and move it).

You can perhaps improve things a bit with a lower hardware i/o buffer, using low-latency mode, and UAD-2 LiveTrack.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks Spicemix - You're fast

Is this correct?
1. Use the I/O plugin on my track and nothing else before recording it to a new track?
2. Send the track to bus number ?, and have the plug there. Then create another input track and record the bus output?
3. Switch to Protools HD

BTW - I've calculated the recording delay, but I've got the impression from you that my current problem doesn't have anything to do with this.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_lar View Post
Thanks Spicemix - You're fast

Is this correct?
1. Use the I/O plugin on my track and nothing else before recording it to a new track?
2. Send the track to bus number ?, and have the plug there. Then create another input track and record the bus output?
3. Switch to Protools HD

BTW - I've calculated the recording delay, but I've got the impression from you that my current problem doesn't have anything to do with this.
None of the above!

You can re-read what I wrote and use Google to clarify the points, or someone else can explain how DAWs work...sorry that's what I can do for you at the moment.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Ahh sorry. Listen, I'm trying to use the outboard gear while mixing. I didn't get your point but some of it actually helped me - I used a bus, and recorded the bus with DSP plugs first, then send to my outboard and then recorded back into my DAW. Pretty complicated, but I've got one heck of a vocal now

you metionend things like these:

You can perhaps improve things a bit with a lower hardware i/o buffer, using low-latency mode, and UAD-2 LiveTrack.
And
Otherwise you will have to manually phase align the tracks after printing (not terribly hard to do, zoom in and move it).

After routing to a buss with the I/O plug I don't have to move anything at all.

I would use analog for the entire tracking chain. - > I'm doing this as well...

My wish is to mix a bit of digital and a tiny bit of analog. I'm not sure I'm doing it the best way now but I've got no latency now.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Ahh
I've made a quick mixdown of one stereobus, which went great. I went on to a guitarbus, and the same latency occurred... I'm thinking of just doing like you told me, spicemix.
Keep the analog out of digital mixing, or accept to fiddle around with the time of the new recorded audio.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

I said keep the digital out of tracking, not the analog out of mixing!
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Ahh.. This day I just can't seem to get this right.
How should I patch Logic up then?
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Take a class with Holger perhaps.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear