The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cloud Antivirus, processing done on their servers.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

Cloud Antivirus, processing done on their servers.

Just came across this, if it works as advertised, it might be a good solution for those of you who want antivirus with almost zero footprint.

Panda Cloud Antivirus, The first free cloud antivirus against viruses, spyware, rootkits and adware

-Cheers
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info. that very interesting.

It seems like a great solution for PC music DAWs, that have been forced to stay offline from the web.

It would be very interesting to see if any PC - Music DAW users are using this service.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Thanks for the info. that very interesting.

It seems like a great solution for PC music DAWs, that have been forced to stay offline from the web.
If the computer is not on the web I'd think the possibility of a virus/malware/etc. would be next to nothing.

Didn't read much about it yet but I don't see how this would help a typical DAW user. It's either gonna have to access the hard drive pretty hard (system scan) and I imagine route every single web request through a 3rd party service.

Sure it's a great way to stay up to date as they should be able to patch their servers with virus updates near instantly but I think the overhead on the network isn't worth the cost of putting a DAW online permanently

Travis
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Yes, if you leave your DAW connected to the internet behind your studio's/house firewall and just use the browser to update software or browse GS.com your DAW WILL get infected with virii, malware, adware, trojans and the Mexican flu!

That's one persistent myth.

Herwig
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

Yea just disable the net adapter when using your audio program.. (If you wan't sometimes does not really matter). I run microsoft security essentials and windows 7 firewall and have not noticed any hiccups. Also browse the net with firefox and "noscript" just to be safe..
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwaltb View Post
Yea just disable the net adapter when using your audio program.. (If you wan't sometimes does not really matter). I run microsoft security essentials and windows 7 firewall and have not noticed any hiccups. Also browse the net with firefox and "noscript" just to be safe..
Another option is to dual boot XP. One for the 'net on one partition/drive and XP for the audio on another. I shut off and disable everything I can on the Audio install and then use Black Vipers recommendations for which services to shut off.

I've never done it but you could probably even disable the "other' OS drive in each config to prevent malware from crossing over so to speak.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

Or just run a virtual machine with XP in windows 7 or whatever and use that as the internet cpu... I can't do this because my laptop is real old but for sure that's what I am doing next upgrade. It would be a sandbox for everything ..
Old 12th November 2009
It makes no sense to me whatsoever. There's no way to have the work be done on their server. The entire nature of anti-virus products is to scan your local hard drive and memory and devices and such because that's where the virus is. At most you would just download the latest checks which most any anti-virus system does.

Sounds like 'cloud hype' to me.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear