The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does the ADT in Reel Tape Saturation or any other plug nail it?
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Head

Does the ADT in Reel Tape Saturation or any other plug nail it?

I'm looking for a plug that will give me the ADT effect. I'm trying for an authentic 70s analog sound, though I'm using pro tools le. Any help appreciated.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Head

You could download the Massey tape saturator (along with the other free goodies on his site. Amazing free plugins!!!)

Duplicate the original vocal track and delay the start of the original a few ms (to give the effect of the time delay created by re-tracking).

Place the tape saturation plugin on the duplicate track

Hey presto!

Play with the tape saturation and start time of the original track to get the sound you want.

D
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
I'm looking for a plug that will give me the ADT effect.
No, the saturator doesn't do delay.

Quote:
I'm trying for an authentic 70s analog sound, though I'm using pro tools le. Any help appreciated.
I'm going to go out on a limb to say that no, this plugin will not give you that "authentic 70s analog sound" because there's a lot more to how things were done back then than just using tape, but I can tell you what I think the Saturator plugin does - it does a nice job at simulating tape compression and even hiss if you want it. The Delay effect in the bundle is nice, you can set that up for a simple ADT effect and more.

EDIT: I wonder what people would have done in the 70s if they had computers that can do all sorts of delay effects, especially in something like PT, where you can simply copy a track and nudge it?

I also have the Massey (full version) and as much as I like that one, the Digidesign effects are on a whole 'nother level.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Head

Thanks guys. Franco, I'm a little confused regarding your responses. What do you mean when you say that reel tape saturation can be set up for a simple ADT effect? It was my understanding that the suite specifically contains an ADT preset. What about it is simple, and most importantly how does it sound? I believe the sound of retro ADT is more than simply a short delay but has to do with fluctuations in the tape machines and subtle phasing or chorusing effects. I've got my bases covered to a degree getting a vintage sound otherwise but just want to know whether the rts ADT effect sounds like ADT...
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasigma View Post
You could download the Massey tape saturator (along with the other free goodies on his site. Amazing free plugins!!!)
They're NOT free. They're non time limited demos. They are missing a couple of minor functions and save/recall capabilities. I don't think the demos can be automated either from memory.

Very worthy of purchase though, especially seeing how cheap they are.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
They're NOT free. They're non time limited demos.
Is that not another way of saying free?? (semantics!)

And yes they do have a lot of features locked out of the free demo, also any settings are not saved, so must be written down.

As sardi said a purchase is needed for the full user definability.

@ Ziggy

There is no 'built in' ADT plugin with in protools. You must manually delay the track using the technique I said above.

D
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasigma View Post
Is that not another way of saying free?? (semantics!)

And yes they do have a lot of features locked out of the free demo, also any settings are not saved, so must be written down.
Actually semantics has nothing to do with the difference between a demo and FREE.

Demo suggests "demonstration" as in...a method to try something to determine if you want to BUY it.

Massey places a lot of trust that people will DEMO the plugins..and then BUY them if they are going to USE them on productions.

Just sayin.

Massey's stuff, to me, represents some of the best value to cost ratio available in plugins.

His tape delay is pretty amazing. To the OP....Iwould check that out..as well as the sound toys ECHO BOY...both sound really cool. I've gotten some great ADT type sounds out of both.

-Rock

315hz
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Head

deltasigma, I've read that within the reel tape saturation bundle there's an ADT preset effect. That's what I was refering to. Would still like to hear from anyone who has used it, to know how it sounds.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks guys. Franco, I'm a little confused regarding your responses. What do you mean when you say that reel tape saturation can be set up for a simple ADT effect? It was my understanding that the suite specifically contains an ADT preset. What about it is simple, and most importantly how does it sound? I believe the sound of retro ADT is more than simply a short delay but has to do with fluctuations in the tape machines and subtle phasing or chorusing effects. I've got my bases covered to a degree getting a vintage sound otherwise but just want to know whether the rts ADT effect sounds like ADT...
NOT the Saturator. The Flanger has an ADT process (not the Delay effect), google "ReelTape Suite Plugin Guide" and you'll get a link to the plugins guide from Digidesign which explains how it (the Flanger, not the SATURATOR) achieves an ADT process; it'll explain it much better than I ever will here, and I believe there's even some cool analog-looking graphics there to show what it does as well.
Old 12th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
NOT the Saturator. The Flanger has an ADT process (not the Delay effect), google "ReelTape Suite Plugin Guide" and you'll get a link to the plugins guide from Digidesign which explains how it (the Flanger, not the SATURATOR) achieves an ADT process; it'll explain it much better than I ever will here, and I believe there's even some cool analog-looking graphics there to show what it does as well.
...the flanger does indeed have an ADT preset. Watch out for the latency though - over 2200 samples!

The tape delay should also be able to do a realistic ADT - single repeat, add a bit of wow and flutter if you like, blend to taste.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 315hz View Post
Massey's stuff, to me, represents some of the best value to cost ratio available in plugins.

His tape delay is pretty amazing. To the OP....Iwould check that out..as well as the sound toys ECHO BOY...both sound really cool. I've gotten some great ADT type sounds out of both.
I fully agree (having purchased the full versions some time ago)! They are great. However some people are put off by the term 'demo' as they can overrun your system.

Remember having hundreds of plugins but only a handfull work as the others have timed out or have audio spikes occurring every thirty secs!!

IMHO saying 'free' encourages more people to visit the site (rather than deminish Massey's contribution to plugin technology). Once they have downloaded they will almost definatley purchase.

D
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

no kidding, best i've tried is ADT by vacuumsound. and its free!
Old 13th November 2009
Deleted User
Smile

+1 for ADT by Vacuumsound a great freebie.
Old 20th November 2009
Here for the gear

ADT

No plug necessary.. copy the track and set it apart by 40 milliseconds (Beatle ADT was usually around 40) and there you have it. Pan in stereo or straight up the middle, works for me....
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonator View Post
+1 for ADT by Vacuumsound a great freebie.

Do have a link?
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I really hope you're not sitting around waiting for a link.. In the time that it took for me to read your reply a quick Google search led me to the link..

Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY View Post
I really hope you're not sitting around waiting for a link.. In the time that it took for me to read your reply a quick Google search led me to the link..

My Google search didn't. In far less time than it took you to write your rude message you could have copied a link. But then I'm sure your reply made you feel quite clever and you apparently need that.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Oh my... I was having a bit of fun. Hence my wink at the end. I did mean to post a link on it but mindlessly posted without because I was thinking about something else.

But now that you're on it. And I mean this in a more curious way then anything. Isn't your Google , My Google as well? Will different machines pull up different search results?

Or is there a difference between searching on Google, and Searching via address bar in Chrome. I'm using Chrome and this is what I got when I copy/pasted (Vacuumsound)

Vacuumsound - Google Search

The link to the companies web page is number 1 on the list.

Weird.. Anyway. Heres the link
(( vacuumsound ))
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY View Post
Oh my... I was having a bit of fun. Hence my wink at the end. I did mean to post a link on it but mindlessly posted without because I was thinking about something else.

But now that you're on it. And I mean this in a more curious way then anything. Isn't your Google , My Google as well? Will different machines pull up different search results?

Or is there a difference between searching on Google, and Searching via address bar in Chrome. I'm using Chrome and this is what I got when I copy/pasted (Vacuumsound)

Vacuumsound - Google Search

The link to the companies web page is number 1 on the list.

Weird.. Anyway. Heres the link
(( vacuumsound ))

OK, let's start over. I didn't see your smiley and misread your intent. My search found a site that said it had audio apps but the the home page had all sorts of things including many ring tones. I never trust sites with rings tones and concluded it wasn't worth the risk. So I thought if I got the actual link I wouldn't risk Trojans. (I have had problems with them lately). After going to your link I find I made a good call. This is not the site I was at. Thanksthumbsup
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino321 View Post
My Google search didn't.
You need a new google.
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

WOW!

I must say! I usually do this manually, but this plug really does the trick very nicely!

Just need propper tweaking... at first I though "hmmm... basic stuff" but it is so quick to dial in...

thank you thank you thank you!

Love it! As soon as I use it with a client, I'll chip in a donation!
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

I'd just say that I think people have different definitions of 70's (or 60's for that matter) ADT/flanging - not helped even by the original protagonists, and much of what is being described here has little to do with what I think of as ADT.

That aside, I've never found any plugin that comes close to what The Beatles and Geoff Emerick (for example) were doing with ADT.

It has to be understood that it was done manually, and as such, variable in time. Emerick talks about resting a finger on the tape reels to "play" the ADT effect.

It's the constant movement that makes it what it was.

Can't try Vacuumsound, I'm on Pro Tools (... and please don't mention VST Wrappers etc. etc.), but if there's anyone out there who really thinks they can use plugins to get something like the ADT effect on Clapton's guitar on While My Guitar Gently Weeps .. well, I for one would love to know how.

B
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear