The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommend a network grade UPS...
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

Recommend a network grade UPS...

Does anyone have experience with network grade UPS? I'm looking for something around 1000 watts. Most importantly, I need something where the fan does not operate during normal operation. It also has to be compatible with the Mac OSX power management via USB

Preferably a tower....looking to spend around $400.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

As far as I know, they're all compatible with Apple's UPS system - just don't install the third party software. I just hook mine up via the Ethernet/USB cable and it shows up.
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnick View Post
As far as I know, they're all compatible with Apple's UPS system - just don't install the third party software. I just hook mine up via the Ethernet/USB cable and it shows up.
The reason I mentioned this is that I just returned a Cyberpower model that was not HID compliant, and so did not work with OSX power management. I also tried a Tripplite SmartUPS, as the manual specifically stated that the fan only came on when charging or running on battery, but the fan never turned off, even when I powered of the UPS.

I'm 0 for 2 at the moment.
Old 10th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
The reason I mentioned this is that I just returned a Cyberpower model that was not HID compliant, and so did not work with OSX power management. I also tried a Tripplite SmartUPS, as the manual specifically stated that the fan only came on when charging or running on battery, but the fan never turned off, even when I powered of the UPS.

I'm 0 for 2 at the moment.
I have 1200AVR CyberPower and 1300 APC. The CyberPower is HID complient - I have my MacPro on it. I did not install the software that came with it, but did connect the USB to the Mac, and it was recognized instantly, and it's completely customizable through OSX power management.

Both units are quiet and reliable (knock on wood). We only had one power outage in last three years, the entire neighborhood went dark, except my studio. I had plenty of time to power everything down. From that moment on, I never wondered "what if...?"
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjanovicH View Post
I have 1200AVR CyberPower and 1300 APC. The CyberPower is HID complient - I have my MacPro on it. I did not install the software that came with it, but did connect the USB to the Mac, and it was recognized instantly, and it's completely customizable through OSX power management.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm actually looking for a "network grade" UPS, which produces a true sine wave when on battery. I've blown a couple power supplies with cheaper square wave UPS, and my current APC, which produces a "stepped sine wave" causes a physical buzz in the power supplies of my Mac Pro and RAID enclosure. What I'd really like is an on-line supply, but haven't found one without a constant fan.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

In the EU there is an unknown brand called Powerwalker. They have a 3kVA double conversion UPS for about €400excl vat.

Don't have any experience with them.

Herwig
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Not a popular thread, but I thought I'd post an update. I went with a APC Smart-UPS 1500va. It is true sine wave, relatively silently in operation, and is compatible with Mac power management.

I'm running a Mac Pro 8 core, 30" monitor and 6 drive RAID box at 40% load.
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with network grade UPS? I'm looking for something around 1000 watts. Most importantly, I need something where the fan does not operate during normal operation. It also has to be compatible with the Mac OSX power management via USB

Preferably a tower....looking to spend around $400.

Any help would be appreciated.
Get this..from APC
is a no brainer...

we have many of those units on our different data centers
protecting our Cisco Routers and Switches

https://www.insight.com/search/ppp.w...Id=DLA1500RM2U

Quote:
Smart-UPS protects critical data by supplying reliable, network-grade power in either traditional tower or rack-optimized form factors. Award-winning Smart-UPS is the perfect UPS for protecting business critical servers, voice and data networks, point of sale, retail/bank back office and ATMs.
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

I originally had a Belkin UPS. Build quality was rather iffy and the whole thing packed up after 2 years.

After that I switched to a 1000VA APC SmartUPS. Good build quality metal case, had it for nearly 4 years now, no problems whatsoever still going strong.

Had to replace the battery about a month back, but for lasting over 3 years thats pretty good for a UPS battery!. Changing it was easy peasy and can even be done whilst the machine is running.

Don't expect it to provide good quality mains filtering of noise etc, if you want ultra pure signal from a UPS you have to spend a LOT of money, but do expect it to be a lifesaver when the mains supply goes south.

Mine has saved me from quite a few powercuts and brownouts, it can also boost the signal if the voltage falls below a certain threshold, without resorting to using the battery.

Where I live in a village the quality of the mains isn't all that great anyways so kinda need it.

Also it has no fan, I don't know whether the 1500VA model uses a fan, doubt it, but thats the one I'd recommend for you as that'll be close to 1000 Watts of power.

FYI, I'm running an old power hungry 19" CRT monitor and a core i7 with ATI HD4850 GPU PC desktop off my UPS and the most power I ever pull through that UPS with monitor running & cpu at 100% is probably about 400 watts total.

Kind of puts the supposed need for mega 1000+ PSU's for computers into perspective....
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

yeah... I have one of those APC Smart UPS 1500Kva and it works fine... has been working for about 4 years and the mains here in Rio are really bad...
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Make sure you get a SmartUPS and not a BackUPS, as the latter is basically just a battery and an inverter (will give you a nasty square wav cycle, and it doesn't do its voltage correction in small enough steps OR a wide enough range.) Sin-wave filtered output is especially important to modern gear in my opinion (not to mention the rest of your audio gear and especially LCD's) as is the ability to step up/down voltage in increments that aren't going to be causing huge spikes in your AC output...
Old 16th December 2009
Quote:
Not a popular thread, but I thought I'd post an update. I went with a APC Smart-UPS 1500va. It is true sine wave, relatively silently in operation, and is compatible with Mac power management.

I'm running a Mac Pro 8 core, 30" monitor and 6 drive RAID box at 40% load.
Thanks for the update. Which one did you buy and where (if it's no secret)? There are several of them raging from $400 to $1500.

Congrats on your purchase!
Old 17th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjanovicH View Post
Thanks for the update. Which one did you buy and where (if it's no secret)? There are several of them raging from $400 to $1500.

Congrats on your purchase!
I got the base model 1500va with the LCD display. It was $560 plus shipping. I bought it directly from APC.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear