The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools - Mac to PC Ethernet?
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Nut

Pro Tools - Mac to PC Ethernet?

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance for reading this post.

I'm a Mac guy and never in my life have I had to implement a PC in order to record. I'm only considering this now because someone gave me this old Toshiba "Satellite" Laptop which happens to have some awesome plugins on it and I'd like to (if possible) use them. Never enough plugins, right?

I'm running an Apple G5 with Pro Tools. The Toshiba has Cubase on it and I thought (or hoped) that via PT inserts, that I could utilize Cubase (or other DAW) plugins as I would say, if I were running GIGA (via MIDI) to a Mac from an external PC.

Problem is, I don't have a clue as to where to look on a PC for any networking (ethernet) connections let alone IP addresses for the PC.

Can this be done or is it just wishful thinking on my part?
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

You can use Wormhole2 (no support anymore) if you search good on the internet. Its a plugin that you insert in a track a last in pluginchain in your Cubase track that you want to send to your Protools. In Protools you insert the reciever plugin from Wormhole. Assign it to recieve it from your Cubase pc. And voila... the sound from cubase will be routed thrue internet to your protools. BUT there will latency depending the quality / bitrate your chosing.
📝 Reply