The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 8 + PT 003 + ADAT hardware? Consoles
Old 9th November 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
vtone's Avatar
 

Logic 8 + PT 003 + ADAT hardware?

I'd like to mix in Logic but I'm having trouble getting Logic to recognize my Pro Tools hardware. Specifically, it recognizes the 003 but not the 8 i/o via ADAT lightpipe. I can't figure out how to add it.

I'm using Logic 8 and syncing via external wordclock.

Also, how do you select mono outputs? In Pro Tools you can select Analog 1 or Analog 2 as an output and the pan knob disappears. In Logic there's no choice, it's always stereo outputs Analog 1-2.

Any advice?

Thanks!!
Old 9th November 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 

don't believe it's possible. maybe with soundflower.
Old 10th November 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
vtone's Avatar
 

Gotcha. Thanks for the Soundflower tip, I might give it a shot if I can't think of any other way to make it work!
Old 10th November 2009
  #4
Gear Head
 
deltasigma's Avatar
 

dont you just click below the bottom of the fader in the mix window to change from stereo to mono tracks in Logic 8 (the little icon with two interlocking circles for stereo OR one circle for mono)? This should allow you to output in mono through the 003.

Also I am getting audio in through the extra ADAT 8 i/o with a 002 but am getting jitter. Is sound
flower a work around this?

D
Old 10th November 2009
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
don't believe it's possible. maybe with soundflower.
the 003 coreaudio drive should be 18i/o, so it should work.

as far as mono outputs go, you choose a pair of outputs, and pan hard left or right. that's it.
Old 11th November 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
vtone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
the 003 coreaudio drive should be 18i/o, so it should work.

as far as mono outputs go, you choose a pair of outputs, and pan hard left or right. that's it.
Ah, pan hard right or left! Thanks!

It's strange, Core Audio is indeed 18 i/o and when I select outputs 9&10 there's signal being sent out of logic-- there just isn't any audio reaching my optical soundcard.
Old 11th November 2009
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtone View Post
Ah, pan hard right or left! Thanks!

It's strange, Core Audio is indeed 18 i/o and when I select outputs 9&10 there's signal being sent out of logic-- there just isn't any audio reaching my optical soundcard.
Right, well it's a case of troubleshooting then.

Firstly - is your ADAT output set to adat and not spdif optical? (HW setup on the coreaudio driver).

Reduce it to the basics - firstly, 9/10 might be the SPDIF output, not the ADAT output - try using 11/12 or 15/16 as well, just to check.

Try looping back - connect the adat out to the adat in on the 003. Set up some aux channels monitoring the ADAT inputs (maybe mute them for safety). any signal? if so, the problem is with your external converter.

Is your external converter clocked correctly - not showing any errors, looking for clock from the ADAT input (or Word clock if you've got that connected)? What external converter are you using? you could try clocking the other way round (ie clocking the external converter internally, and the 003 to this, if you connect the converter ADAT or WC output to 003 input).
Old 12th November 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
the 003 coreaudio drive should be 18i/o, so it should work.

as far as mono outputs go, you choose a pair of outputs, and pan hard left or right. that's it.
Do you mean it will show up in logic, or should work with soundflower? I always thought the pro tools interfaces didn't work outside of pro tools.
Old 12th November 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Oh just searched it. Sorry for the bad information on my part. I guess it works, but has a bit of latenct.
Old 12th November 2009
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
Do you mean it will show up in logic, or should work with soundflower? I always thought the pro tools interfaces didn't work outside of pro tools.
Forget soundflower - I'm sure it has it's uses, but it's not needed here.

All the PT interfaces have a coreaudio driver. They work outside of PT - it's a very well known fact! latency is no worse than any other interface - I can get my 002 to 64 samples (admittedly in PT8 you can get 32 samples, but 64 is useable).
Old 14th November 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 
vtone's Avatar
 

Woah thanks Psycho Monkey!

I just tried it again and I had the outputs reversed on my patchbay-- it's all working fine now!

I'm actually pretty stunned at how much better logic's mixer sounds. I've been wrestling with that stupid ATA plug for PTLE, trying to do delay compensation for 50+ tracks and outboard summing mixer... it never worked with any consistency. Logic instantly sounded tighter and cleaner.

I'm still going to use PT for recording and editing because I'm pretty fast with it and its stable. But Logic's mixer, and all those amazing plugins, is outstanding... and only 500 bones.
Old 7th March 2011
  #12
Gear Head
 

Adat clock in Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Right, well it's a case of troubleshooting then.

Firstly - is your ADAT output set to adat and not spdif optical? (HW setup on the coreaudio driver).

Reduce it to the basics - firstly, 9/10 might be the SPDIF output, not the ADAT output - try using 11/12 or 15/16 as well, just to check.

Try looping back - connect the adat out to the adat in on the 003. Set up some aux channels monitoring the ADAT inputs (maybe mute them for safety). any signal? if so, the problem is with your external converter.

Is your external converter clocked correctly - not showing any errors, looking for clock from the ADAT input (or Word clock if you've got that connected)? What external converter are you using? you could try clocking the other way round (ie clocking the external converter internally, and the 003 to this, if you connect the converter ADAT or WC output to 003 input).
Hello Psycho_monkey,

I have a similar issue concerning the ADAT recognition in Logic Studio...

Here is my setup:

TL Audio Fat Track with TLA ADAT interface ---> Digi 002. The Fat Track is the master clock.

I've set "analog 9-10 input" (for ADAT 1-2 input) to record a track. It's possible to record a source but I got many clicks from time to time. Because Logic is not set to "optical clock source"

In Pro Tools, everything is working properly: I just go to hardware setup, select optical instead of internal. I can set ADAT 1-2 to record, & I got no clicks. If I don't set PT to optical I got the same thing (clicks on recordings..)

In the digi core audio driver it's not set to spdif.
I've changed the configuration in Logic:
sync/audio sync/core audio/external
I've added the sync mode on the tool bar & activated it

I still get clicks into my signal though.
Can you give me some tips to resolve this issue?

Have a nice one,

Thanks
Old 8th March 2011
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young.baws View Post
Hello Psycho_monkey,

I have a similar issue concerning the ADAT recognition in Logic Studio...

Here is my setup:

TL Audio Fat Track with TLA ADAT interface ---> Digi 002. The Fat Track is the master clock.

I've set "analog 9-10 input" (for ADAT 1-2 input) to record a track. It's possible to record a source but I got many clicks from time to time. Because Logic is not set to "optical clock source"

In Pro Tools, everything is working properly: I just go to hardware setup, select optical instead of internal. I can set ADAT 1-2 to record, & I got no clicks. If I don't set PT to optical I got the same thing (clicks on recordings..)

In the digi core audio driver it's not set to spdif.
I've changed the configuration in Logic:
sync/audio sync/core audio/external
I've added the sync mode on the tool bar & activated it

I still get clicks into my signal though.
Can you give me some tips to resolve this issue?

Have a nice one,

Thanks
From memory, sync mode in the toolbar is to do with timecode sync, not clocking.

When you load the Coreaudio driver, then choose hardware setup, you should see a tab for "clock source" - I think it's on the bottom left (can't check right now, don't have an avid interface at home anymore). Set this to ADAT?

Try clocking the other way round - so the 002 is the master - does this work?
Old 10th March 2011
  #14
Gear Head
 

Thanks for the reply!

I'll try again.. I think things gonna work.

Best regards,

Nate
Old 11th August 2011
  #15
Here for the gear
 

Psyco Monkey,

You seem to be the man with the plan to talk to. Im having a similar problem. Im not getting any audio in logic 9 via light pipe. Im running 5 beta 58 mics into a Ramsa wr-da7 mixing board---> Digi 002 via light pipe--->logic 9. Ive picked up tons of info scouring forums but i still cant get any signal in logic. I know the digi lightpipe inputs are 9-16. I have my core audio set to optical. I dont really know where to go from here.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
jrubbernek / Music Computers
17
amberience / So much gear, so little time
9
DanRock101 / So much gear, so little time
18
theblotted / So much gear, so little time
8
EspionageWHW / So much gear, so little time
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump