The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
anyone using ical as a studio scheduale program? other mac options?
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

anyone using ical as a studio scheduale program? other mac options?

We've got 5 people's pesonal and biz scheduales and two studio's to keep track of. We're on Mac's (6 different machines,only one of them sporting OSX right now but that can be changed soon)

I've never seen ical work, I'd like to know if it could handle multiple projects/rooms/personal availability calanders and give the studio mgr a quick overview. If not, what are the other options out there?
the criteria would be:

easy to use

updateable via the web from any computer....maybe from a windows machine as well?
all users could view the "master calander" that the mgr would update daily and then download to their comps/handheld's

syncable to multiple palm devices running palm os

cheap

easy to use

easy to use

I rely heavily on my palm and it's included desktop software....what I've seen of the Apple ical looks so much hipper (tiling of multiple scheduales)

Is apple comming out with any kinda palm device???
How about a PDA/phone combo (I'm lusting after the Kyocera smartphone right now ....but gosh if apple had one that integrated all their "i" stuff....how cool would that be?)
Old 15th May 2003
Gear Nut

Ages back i came across something called (I Think) Studio manager....
it was either share or freeware, but seemed pretty good.

I have a copy somewhere or other.... I'll have alook in the next day or two and get back to you on it.... (like who where how much and url)

Best regards
max

Old 16th May 2003
Gear Addict

I use ical to manage two rooms - two engineers - personal stuff and more. I use iSync to match it up between 5 computers. To do it right you need to have all the computers on X and use a .mac account. I think its great. you do have to manage you're synchronization right. Make sure you do backups and print hard copies for the wall!

Works good for me. And its free (but .mac isn't - but .mac is a great deal for all the other stuff - including easy backups of small stuff (like calendars!)).
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin
I use ical to manage two rooms - two engineers - personal stuff and more. I use iSync to match it up between 5 computers. To do it right you need to have all the computers on X and use a .mac account. I think its great. you do have to manage you're synchronization right. Make sure you do backups and print hard copies for the wall!

Works good for me. And its free (but .mac isn't - but .mac is a great deal for all the other stuff - including easy backups of small stuff (like calendars!)).
That's what i need to hear!
do you use it in conjunction with a Palm by any chance? My understanding is that isync has a Palm sync conduit as well.

?

thanks!
Old 16th May 2003
VERY VERY F interesting thread. I am keeping my eye on this!

Recently my girlfriend and I use Yahoo calendar to figure out when we can see each other. But no syncronisation with palm (to my knowledge)

Palm can have 'private entries" for personal apointments but last time I cheecked these were MORE ADVANCED ON THE PC PLATFORM THAN ON THE MAC. (bummer because staff dont need to know when I have a dentist apt, nore do I need to kown when their Uncles birthday is..)

So.....

I greatly look forward to any news in this area..
Old 16th May 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's what i need to hear!
do you use it in conjunction with a Palm by any chance? My understanding is that isync has a Palm sync conduit as well.
Yes - syncs with Palm well. (but my palm died - and I didn't replace it).
Syncs with iPod too.
Syncs with my Sony Ericsson t68 phone over bluetooth ! (going in is smooth - things entered on the phone coming back - not as smooth)
Syncs over the internet to remote locations!

Still the caveat is - sync weirdness spreads fast. You just have to try it for a while to see what I mean. But - I still love it.

No private features for Jules though. Are you sure the staff shouldn't know when you're going to the proctologist?
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin

Syncs with my Sony Ericsson t68 phone over bluetooth !
There was a link from apples site to this phone. I couldn't find a carrier that supported it in my preferred area.
the phone Im lusting after is here:http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/7100_phone/7100_phone_series.htm
it uses the Verizon co. which all my important studio contacts and family are on. 500.00 bucks is pretty steep but I got to check it out in person. Really small for what it delivers. utilizes smart media,has built in mp3, tri mode phone. I'm addicted to the palm "graffiti" feature, I can write as fast as I type in most cases....the web browser is really cool.....I guess the cost is justified if it's killing all those birds (if it can keep me from carrying phone,pda,and laptop)
Anyhow, I'm gonna load up ical on our new studio comp (tho I've only just LOOKED OSX, and plke around a bit.
Publishing calander and other info to a .mac acount looks to be a really cool way for keeping engineer/studio availability up to date.Right now we use two of these huge white boards in the studio office (dry erase) ugly, confusing, and ya gotta be standing in front of it (or talking to somebody standing infront of it) to know what's up. And we all know how scheduales change...

Paul, could you elaborate on any problems encountered with syncing multiple machines?
I'd love to hear from someone that has actually synced a palm with ical.....how the Palm OS handles the transfer....I supose I could just choose to sync only my personal schedual from ical to my palm so as not to have everybodys stuff clogging it up. Still, maybe apple will just come out with a handheld.......ipod,camera,pda,phone.........
we could name it the i? i widget? ipaidalotforthisphonethatdoeseverything?
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

Here's the phone:
Attached Images
anyone using ical as a studio scheduale program? other mac options?-7100_main_bottom_left.jpg 
Old 16th May 2003
My phone,

Does the Erikson sync to Mac Palm OS?
Attached Images
anyone using ical as a studio scheduale program? other mac options?-treo270.jpg 
Old 16th May 2003
I dig the keyboard for data entry..
Attached Images
anyone using ical as a studio scheduale program? other mac options?-treo270key.jpg 
Old 16th May 2003
Lives for gear

The ericssson dosen't do the palm thing.....but will sync directly to ical.

Jules I think your in the same boat. ical would work great for you 'cause you CAN sync to the palmdesktop(mac version) and your treo.

You'd just need to decide which ical info (module maybe?) that you send to your treo. Pretty sweet setup.

I'd have bought the treo (i have a color visor) but the carrier I wan't to use dosen't support it.

The new kyocera is the shiznit....if your into inputing with graffitti.

if you have OSX 10.2 (jaguar) ical is free.....have a go at it and let us no how it works! I have to purchase Jaguar before i can try it out , but i think that's the way we'll go......
Old 16th May 2003
Neat!

I will look into it..

My carrier didnt do the Treo either, but here we use SIM chips I checked and the phone shops said it would work, neven thogh its not supported.. and it did! I even tricked em to give me a GPRS hook up.. I told em I was using another phone, and that works now too!

Jules
Old 18th May 2003
Mindreader

I think the latest Erricsons actually work with iSync and give you the iCal info and contacts into your phone
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear