The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves Vocal Rider
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

Waves Vocal Rider

Waves Vocal Rider

Waves makes vocal processing easier than it's ever been with their upcoming Vocal Rider plug-in. The name says it all - Vocal Rider is designed to match your vocal tracks to the rest of the mix and then keep the relative volume throughout the song. All you do is instantiate it on your vocal track, bus a summed instrumental mix to the side-chain, and hit play. The plug-in fader then takes over, keeping the relative volume of the vocals and the rest of the mix constant. And, unlike compression, Vocal Rider doesn't crush the dynamic range or color the vocal track at all.

Waves Vocal Rider Automatic Level-Riding Plug-in Features:

Intelligent adjustment of the vocal track based on the dynamics of the music
Saves time doing the kind of automation you would have to do manually
Writes automatic volume riding to the track as automation for fine tuning
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

That's awesome. I can't believe this isn't a feature inside DAW's yet.
Old 9th October 2009
Gear Head

Is it riding the gain (before plugs) or after fader?

Richard
Old 9th October 2009
maq
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Is it riding the gain (before plugs) or after fader?
It's a plugin, so it can be inserted anywhere in the insert chain, before or after other plugins and post fader if your app has post fader insert points.
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

more info? link?
Could this be used in post, for leveling a Narrator against MX & FX?

Kind of reminds me of Wave Rider, but done right...
Cheers!
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post

Kind of reminds me of Wave Rider, but done right...
Cheers!
i hope so!
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

The usual question... How much and in which bundle (with active WUP) is it going to be available?
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

next up: Waves Auto Mixer. Just bus all your tracks in this plugin and it will ride tracks with user-definable styles. Comes with presets by CLA, TLA, Eddie Kramer, Tony Maserati and Uli Behringer.

Herwig
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
next up: Waves Auto Mixer. Just bus all your tracks in this plugin and it will ride tracks with user-definable styles. Comes with presets by CLA, TLA, Eddie Kramer, Tony Maserati and Uli Behringer.

Herwig
i buy! is uli good? heh
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

This is the first step towards user-defined preset auto-mixing. I knew this was coming, I just didn't think it would get here this fast. Crazy.
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

Wow, just imagine how awesome and unique everyone's vocal tracks are going to sound when you have Autotune, Vocalign, and Vocal Rider all working together.

Brad
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
Waves Vocal Rider

Waves makes vocal processing easier than it's ever been with their upcoming Vocal Rider plug-in. The name says it all - Vocal Rider is designed to match your vocal tracks to the rest of the mix and then keep the relative volume throughout the song. All you do is instantiate it on your vocal track, bus a summed instrumental mix to the side-chain, and hit play. The plug-in fader then takes over, keeping the relative volume of the vocals and the rest of the mix constant. And, unlike compression, Vocal Rider doesn't crush the dynamic range or color the vocal track at all.

Waves Vocal Rider Automatic Level-Riding Plug-in Features:

Intelligent adjustment of the vocal track based on the dynamics of the music
Saves time doing the kind of automation you would have to do manually
Writes automatic volume riding to the track as automation for fine tuning
I've seen nothing about this from Waves, are you sure you're not mistaking it for "Wave Rider"? I don't believe that has anything to do with "Waves" company.

Someone should provide any link whatsoever otherwise this is confusing.
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

wow.
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football View Post
I've seen nothing about this from Waves, are you sure you're not mistaking it for "Wave Rider"? I don't believe that has anything to do with "Waves" company.

Someone should provide any link whatsoever otherwise this is confusing.
There is a picture of it on the sweetwater.com AES coverage http://www.sweetwater.com/publicatio...y&sid=43&day=3 all the way at the bottom.
Old 9th October 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post

Herwig
heh
Old 9th October 2009
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
I knew there was a reason why Mr. Meir Shashoua (from Waves) purchased a copy of my Wave Rider
thumbsup
I feel for you man...

hope you've got a tight patent.
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I knew there was a reason why Mr. Meir Shashoua (from Waves) purchased a copy of my Wave Rider
thumbsup
This makes me feel a little sick inside.
Old 9th October 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
thumbsup
actually I was thinking that Waves vocal rider is made by you in collaboration with Waves and that it's smart move by Waves to buy this concept from you.
It turns out that they did buy it.... one copy of it...
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
thumbsup
and they couldnt even come up with their own name....tutt
Old 9th October 2009
Lives for gear

This could be interesting.
I bought the waves "Mo Better button" and the "quad bass" plugins a while back and they really took my mixes to another level. heh
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
Waves Charts Topper

Waves makes music making easier than it's ever been with their upcoming Charts Topper plug-in. The name says it all - Charts Topper is designed to match your music tracks to the rest of the chart topping hits and then keep the relative musicality throughout the song. All you do is instantiate it on your music track, bus a summed chart topping hit to the side-chain, and hit play. The plug-in arranger then takes over, keeping the relative chart topping potential of the music and the rest of the performance constant. And, unlike band in a box, Charts Topper doesn't suck at all.

Waves Charts Topper Automatic Hit-Making Plug-in Features:

Intelligent adjustment of the arrangement based on the chat topping potential of the music
Saves time doing the kind of music you would have to do manually
Writes automatic arrangements to the track as musicians for fine music
Awesome!
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

I have emailed them a while ago but got no response, obviously.

Well, it is not entirely a remake of my plugin. But the concept is the same. It actually claims to do what I never wanted my plugin to attempt. Riding a vocal in relation to music is completely subjective and I'd be interested in seeing how successful they are in doing it. Whether you'd want a plugin to mix your final vocal ride is another story.
My plugin smoothes out the levels of vocals, bass, horns, other solo instruments. But the rest is up to you and your ears.

We'll see when it comes out, maybe it will increase my sales. heh
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have emailed them a while ago but got no response, obviously.

.... maybe it will increase my sales. heh

I hope it does too.

I'm not usually a Waves basher.... but Wave Rider is hardly a standard concept, like another comp or eq.

They've nicked your idea... plain and simple.
Old 10th October 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:

We'll see when it comes out, maybe it will increase my sales. heh

what would definetely increase your sales (to +1 at least would be PC VST version and I have strong feeling I wouldn't be alone.
btw, I like your idea better than waves copy of it.
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

Hope they add it to platinum and diamond too

-SD
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

It's kinda like the level riding function of Maxx Volume with added intelligent side chaining. I always liked the concept of MV, but this is definitely what it was missing.

-SD
Old 10th October 2009
Gear Maniac

Mundox - As soon as I saw this thread, I thought of you. Your plug-in is a very original idea and the only one of it's kind that I know of. I was happy to buy it. Sorry to see this, but I guess it's to be expected as any good idea will quickly spawn competitors. What you have on your side is price and what would prevent you from eventually adding a sidechain?
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

I was about to by wave rider a few weeks ago and only then realized it was OS X only! This is definitely a derivative product, but unfortunately the only one that'll work on my machine.

s
Old 10th October 2009
Lives for gear

Wave Rider was Pro Tools only, which was a mistake, I think. Waves saw an open market and grabbed it.

What can you do?

One thing that detractors and admirers alike agree upon: Waves is a smart company. I am in the former camp.

- c
📝 Reply