The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Lexicon PCM Native Reverb Plugin Bundle
Old 4th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari88 View Post
The Lex sounds seem to add so much magic that I feel like I've missed out all these years.
I believe that you gonna love the PCM as it's one of the best choice to compliment that amazing reverb. But there are several kind of Lexicon's magic. If you wrote a more modern type of orchestra and looking for something to compliment the Seventh Heaven, the PCM Bundle is a great choice if not the best. But if you are then addicted like me, you'll soon looking for the other variants. Especially if you love that big percussion washed in reverb or those nostalgic strings, charismatic brass, meditative flute with a more vintage character. Soon you'll want the 224/480 as well.
Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear

I'm still loving the Lex PCM all these years later. It's still my goto. I recently got the Eventide SP2016 and these two cover most of my reverb needs.
Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
I'm still loving the Lex PCM all these years later. It's still my goto.
Same with me. Prior to the Lex PCM bundle, I was using more convolution both free and paid. Looking back, and for myself, I feel convolution is simply harder to fit in my mixes. It's like several UAD emulations that just seem to work quickly and somehow fit quite well as opposed to lots of other options that for me, took more time.

Once the Lex PCM bundle instantly dropped in price from that ridiculous amount, my only hesitation left was iLok. This was just after the huge iLok fiasco, so I asked Lexicon if they would consider any alternative protection, and they replied no.

I purchased an iLok, then the PCM bundle, and for myself today I consider Lex PCM to be the best value-for-the-dollar, only behind UAD & Metagrid, but in front of Waves, and SoundToys. I still use convolution, but mostly on sparse smaller track projects where reverb needs to sound absolutely pristine.

For Lexicon, it's almost always a single left and right reverb as opposed to placing 1 Lexicon on a stereo track.

Finally, this bundle is old. Age of software doesn't hinder my audio objectives. It still works for me, and that's what is important. I feel I have learned it quite well. Age is not so important when buying applications. For reference, I still occasionally use Waves Ren Comp too.
Old 5th January 2019
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalmsc View Post
I believe that you gonna love the PCM as it's one of the best choice to compliment that amazing reverb. But there are several kind of Lexicon's magic. If you wrote a more modern type of orchestra and looking for something to compliment the Seventh Heaven, the PCM Bundle is a great choice if not the best. But if you are then addicted like me, you'll soon looking for the other variants. Especially if you love that big percussion washed in reverb or those nostalgic strings, charismatic brass, meditative flute with a more vintage character. Soon you'll want the 224/480 as well.
I agree with this message. Also the Relab LX480 is the perfect model of the hardware. That's my go to. So incredible.
Having the Lexicon 96 plugin, Seven Heaven and LX480 and all your Lexicon needs are covered.

Marc
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

In my experience, the PCM verb was as lush and rich as plugin reverb could get... when it was released. But it always lacked a bit of third-dimensional depth and believability. Whereas the 960L before it immediately made you buy into the sound of the room, the PCM didn't quite get to that level. Rooms sound very good, but two mics in a real room sound different. More like the 960L. Since then, a few other options have emerged and I think they've begun to truly fool the ears. Exponential's options are good, as are VSR24 (incredibly good rooms) and Seventh Heaven and Transatlantic Plate.

These days, when I pull up older sessions with the Lex PCMs, I tend to replace them.
Old 5th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Illusion and HD Cart can be very Lexicon like. I could really compare my hardware and these two. Still love and use PCM bundle, too.
Old 5th January 2019
Here for the gear

I'm currently having an issue with the bundle having brought it recently. I activated it succesfully on my iLok 3 to use on my iMac Pro, however, when I go to open the software in Logic it comes up with a message saying "This product requires a license on a second generation iLok. Please exit without saving, insert the iLok and reopen the application".
I'm a little confused as on iLok Manager it says it can be activated with iLok 2 and 3 and iLok don't even sell the iLok 2s anymore as far as i am aware so would be very annoying if its not licensable on the iLok 3 in reality.
That being said I've seen someone write above that it is useable with the iLok 3, so would be super grateful if anyone could lend their thoughts on why they imagine I'm having this problem!
Old 6th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
For Lexicon, it's almost always a single left and right reverb as opposed to placing 1 Lexicon on a stereo track.
Hi, why?
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post
Hi, why?
It's a preferred procedure. I shouldn't have tied that to Lexicon only since its applicable to any reverb. Mine just happen to be mostly Lexicon and UAD emt 140.

In a nutshell, you can create more depth and spread using 2 monos. Slightly adjusting 1 side for reverb eq, time, etc can work wonders. I'm sure there are lots of detailed explanations here.
Old 6th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
It's a preferred procedure.
Is this still necessary for a true stereo reverb? If so, I'm curious to try it..

So are you essentially doing two aux sends and panning each hard L and R, and then using the reverb on each in mono mode or still stereo mode?
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is this still necessary for a true stereo reverb? If so, I'm curious to try it..

So are you essentially doing two aux sends and panning each hard L and R, and then using the reverb on each in mono mode or still stereo mode?
It's maddening when I can't find a older well written and lengthy explanation of advantages of 2 monos panned hard L/R.

I'm not a fan of stereo wideners. But I have used them subtly to cheat in the past when under deadline. Sometimes Waves, but more flexibility UAD BK K-Stereo Ambiance Recovery or the practical equivalent SHEPPi (one of my last 32 bit plugs) None of this as good as alternate procedures such as M/S or Mono reverb then spice it up with EQ/delay/reverb length etc.

Therefore start at 1:52 to skip over widners.

YouTube

More on mono, but way to brief on the explanation:
YouTube

True stereo reverb? I don't know. However considering M/S, reverb Eq,reverb pre-delay, and use of subtle insert and EQ delays on the FX insert, I think I would have more flexibility with 2 monos. To be honest, I would have to go through all my reverb tools and see which are "true" then see what I could do and compare to the mono method.

Attached is a screen shot of emt 140s set up in Cubase, one of my initial templates.
Attached Thumbnails
Lexicon PCM Native Reverb Plugin Bundle-cubase-112.jpg  
Old 6th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
It's maddening when I can't find a older well written and lengthy explanation of advantages of 2 monos panned hard L/R.
Good stuff. The videos seem to mention this trick for mono recordings, so this is what you meant as well?
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good stuff. The videos seem to mention this trick for mono recordings, so this is what you meant as well?
Yes. It's a method to make things more wide than 1 reverb on stereo. Gives a lot more control. With Pensado, he is trying to clear out the mids and more apparent verb on the side.
Old 23rd January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Having the Lexicon 96 plugin, Seven Heaven and LX480 and all your Lexicon needs are covered.
I'm currently having a real good time with the MPX Native, so glad that I finally got it. It's somewhere between the LX480 and the PCM. Not as detailed as the PCM, also not as vintage sounding as the LX. But I love it! Exactly what I've been looking for, the middle man. The EQ section of the PCM is great for making the reverb sounds more luxurious, especially for pop and modern orchestra. But I need something simpler, kind of a more vintage sounding PCM Native. Dunno if it's the same algorithms or not, but it sounds different to me. More like a pre PCM92/96 reverb box, which is more ballsy and blend with source in a more vintage reverb alike. Prefer this for synth material, next to the LX480. It's also so easy to grisp and CPU efficient. Last version update is 12/20/2017, not bad at all considering compatibility and lifespan. To me this is the biggest value in reverb and the easiest way to get that authentic lexicon sound.
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
In my experience, the PCM verb was as lush and rich as plugin reverb could get... when it was released. But it always lacked a bit of third-dimensional depth and believability. Whereas the 960L before it immediately made you buy into the sound of the room, the PCM didn't quite get to that level. Rooms sound very good, but two mics in a real room sound different. More like the 960L. Since then, a few other options have emerged and I think they've begun to truly fool the ears. Exponential's options are good, as are VSR24 (incredibly good rooms) and Seventh Heaven and Transatlantic Plate.

These days, when I pull up older sessions with the Lex PCMs, I tend to replace them.
+1 about the VSR24 Room !
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Maniac

There's an interesting little info from the Lexicon's store,"The MPX Native Reverb Plug-In offers a single polymorphic algorithm based on the acclaimed LXP Hall". Could it be that the MPX Native is based on the LXP hardware..can anybody with both products share an opinion about this? Could be just a cut down version of the LXP native, but imho it sounds different.

The LXP native sounds closer to the PCM native, the coder said,"When we introduced the old LXP boxes, we liked to think they gave you a little chunk of the 480 (which they did). Think of these new plugs as a little chunk of the PCM."
Old 8th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post

Interesting. Didn't you sell the 960 back then after extensive A/B'ing with the plugin? Did you regret that over time?
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

I wish they could update the GUIs and replace that cheap and hysterical gold color with black/gray.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Head
I wonder why Lexicon don't make their own 480 plugin for so many years.
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear
I read somewhere that the original code for one or more of the Lexicon reverbs was lost. My memory is fuzzy, but it's possible that the 480 code no longer exists. Don't quote me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directed View Post
I wonder why Lexicon don't make their own 480 plugin for so many years.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
I read somewhere that the original code for one or more of the Lexicon reverbs was lost. My memory is fuzzy, but it's possible that the 480 code no longer exists. Don't quote me.
It was picked up by Relab and then stolen by Universal Audio
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Just got a new best friend, the LXP Native. I underestimated this one for so long, thinking that I didn't need it with the PCM on hands. But I was wrong, it's my favorite. While clearly not the best sounding reverb or anything, but if should only choose one reverb it's going to be this one. Simply because it emotionally gels the most with me, simple to use and blends with the source so easily. More playing, less thinking kind of verb. Maybe it's possible to get the exact same result by editing the PCM, but the LXP is simply there. I'm happy to see it as a "Basic" expansion. I've been looking for a humble sounding reverb for day to day use, not a transparent one..but also not too obvious, with a bit of Lexicon character. This is the perfect one for the job. While the MPX has a more obvious and in your face character, this one is more of a background type of reverb. The Room is different from the PCM as well. The less detail and more open, darker/warmer/thicker sound complimenting the PCM nicely. Actually I've been looking for something like this for too long, so glad to finally got this.

Last edited by crystalmsc; 1 week ago at 09:00 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search