The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Lexicon PCM Native Reverb Plugin Bundle
Old 5th December 2016
Lives for gear
Still my favorite Reverb plugin by a mile. I love Valhalla Vintage verb, Room, and Waves IR with Bricasti impulses, but the Lexicon has that something special to it.
Old 17th May 2017
Gear Maniac

I love the total bundle, both has that syrupy modern lexicon that I adore. There are other reverbs which is standout by itself, but for a lift-up mood in a mix, these are irreplaceable to me. Along with the N20, I have all my modern lexicon needs sorted out. For being able to use the Lexicon effects and reverbs in a chain is heaven.

Last edited by crystalmsc; 17th May 2017 at 05:42 PM..
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecandy View Post
Still my favorite Reverb plugin by a mile. I love Valhalla Vintage verb, Room, and Waves IR with Bricasti impulses, but the Lexicon has that something special to it.
yes. this and LX480 (the 480 has a bit more 'magic' sound that fills out and wraps around the source nicely but the PCM has a beautiful hifi tail that sounds great if/when you want to hear the verb.. in small doses). Together they are unbeatable!

Though I do still give a slight edge to the LX480 for overall X-Factor (or should that be 'LEX factor') on sound.
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Directed View Post
Just compared Lexicon PCM Bundle vs Valhalla VintageVerb and Softube Tsar-1...
Lexicon is a clear winner. It sounds focused, natural, deep and high fidelity compared to them. It is noticeable difference...
Valhalla and Tsar-1 sound a bit more aggressive and washed out.

But Valhalla has the Lexicon character, it's light on CPU and it costs 50$
Nobody will tell the difference between Lexicon PCM and Valhalla VintageVerb in the busy mix. I think Lexicon is more for natural acoustic instruments rather than for electronic music.
I thumbed you up before I read the second half of your post.

Sorry but to me Valhalla is all piss and wind. Sounds 'ok' sometimes in isolation, gets in the ballpark, but it's actually 'in a mix' when you know it's not working as well as Lex PCM Native (or Relab LX480). It just sounds ... cheaper, more congested, less effortlessly lexicon... Unless price was an issue I'd never use the (over-rated but great value) Valhalla stuff over the LEX bundle or LX480.

There may be times I'd want to use them for specific FX type verb on a single track/clip etc, and don't get me wrong some of his other plugs are really cool, shimmer and uber-mod for example, but nothing beats PCM and LX480 (that includes imo the exponential stuff with their awful GUIS and nightmarish workflow). And slate's convo verb also doesn't touch the LX480, and the PCM bundle is perfection when you want something cleaner but still with character and "exquisite" tails.

Though I don't do pure electronic music but pop/rock/alt with synths guitars bass vocals drums... so maybe I don't 'make do' with the VVV due to having real sources I want to wrap in gold?
Old 20th November 2017
Must say Lexicon is a bit behind as they still require physical iLok dongle. All other iLok plugins I use now offer also a virtual/computer based authorization. I've completely moved to Eventide, Relab etc for reverb needs even tho I really do like the Lexicon PCM verbs.
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave View Post
Must say Lexicon is a bit behind as they still require physical iLok dongle. All other iLok plugins I use now offer also a virtual/computer based authorization. I've completely moved to Eventide, Relab etc for reverb needs even tho I really do like the Lexicon PCM verbs.
To me it is the other way around. Plugins on physical ilok dongle just keep on working year after year without any authorizarion trouble at all. Upgrade computer, replace computer, switch between computers, best authorizationsystem ever.
Old 20th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
To me it is the other way around. Plugins on physical ilok dongle just keep on working year after year without any authorizarion trouble at all. Upgrade computer, replace computer, switch between computers, best authorizationsystem ever.
Many vendors actually offer two authorizations now, actual ilok and an additional computer. Which is great imo.

Good point on upgrading/replacing computer. I'm yet to upgrade when using computer based authorization so need to investigate how that works.
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
I thumbed you up before I read the second half of your post.

Sorry but to me Valhalla is all piss and wind. Sounds 'ok' sometimes in isolation, gets in the ballpark, but it's actually 'in a mix' when you know it's not working as well as Lex PCM Native (or Relab LX480). It just sounds ... cheaper, more congested, less effortlessly lexicon... Unless price was an issue I'd never use the (over-rated but great value) Valhalla stuff over the LEX bundle or LX480.

There may be times I'd want to use them for specific FX type verb on a single track/clip etc, and don't get me wrong some of his other plugs are really cool, shimmer and uber-mod for example, but nothing beats PCM and LX480 (that includes imo the exponential stuff with their awful GUIS and nightmarish workflow). And slate's convo verb also doesn't touch the LX480, and the PCM bundle is perfection when you want something cleaner but still with character and "exquisite" tails.

Though I don't do pure electronic music but pop/rock/alt with synths guitars bass vocals drums... so maybe I don't 'make do' with the VVV due to having real sources I want to wrap in gold?
That's how I feel abut the Valhalla sound. I want to like it; I want to love it. For the sake of a guy I admire anyway, Sean Costello.

I'd just like to ask if anyone's tried Tonebooster's Reverb 4 and if so, what you think of it? The demo runs forever and only doesn't render. Reaper saves presets made with it even. It's less expensive than one Valhalla even, but I think it melds more with the program material.

I don't mean to derail the topic, but for a couple of opinions I think this is a good place to compare with Lexicon.
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

How a reverb sounds in isolation is often irrelevant to how it works in a track, in exactly the same way that working on a mix by isolating individual tracks in solo can result in a confused mess when all of them are sounding.
Old 28th November 2017
I'm a bit of a reverb junkie and own tons of them - both hardware and software. Lexicon PCM is pretty tough to beat. Is it worth the difference in cost over Valhalla? In a word, yes.

The Lexicon reverbs sound fabulous on their own or added to a convolution reverb (e.g. Seventh Heaven, QL Spaces, Altiverb). And they sit great in a track.

I also prefer iLok, but I use a full-fledged workstation. If I had to deal with a mobile rig, who knows?
Old 28th November 2017
Gear Guru

PCM is easily staying on the top 3 of best PRO reverb since a while and i don't see it moving ..... imho ....always in my template with my VSS 3 , they just doing it right !!! for caracter i have other stuff ...
Old 1st December 2018
Can you use ILok 3? So it seems it works on with Windows 10 now?
Old 1st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Can you use ILok 3? So it seems it works on with Windows 10 now?
Yes it works with iLok 3.
Old 4th December 2018
Lives for gear

Does anyone have the 1.38 installer for Windows 64bit?

The website only has the 1.37 installer and it crashes Samplitude X4.
Old 4th December 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom View Post
Does anyone have the 1.38 installer for Windows 64bit?

The website only has the 1.37 installer and it crashes Samplitude X4.
Here you go:

PCM Native Reverb Plug-in | Lexicon Pro - Legendary Reverb and Effects
Old 5th December 2018
Anyone wish Lexicon offered a computer based iLok activation?

I've pretty much stopped using these since they are the only plugins I have that require a physical iLok, all other vendors I use offer another activation on computer. Go send email to support and request this, I did a few months ago and they just answered that they had no plans for it.
Old 5th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I've pretty much stopped using these since they are the only plugins I have that require a physical iLok, all other vendors I use offer another activation on computer. Go send email to support and request this, I did a few months ago and they just answered that they had no plans for it.
I sold the PCM bundle 2 years ago because it was the only one still needing the Ilok dongle.
In contact with Lexicon about the transfer I mentioned that I sold it because of that and this guy's reply hinted at the fact that it was not Lexicon to decide that, so maybe Harman (who I think bought Lexicon) decides this.
To be sure; this is part speculation.

If Lexicon starts allowing PC based Ilok activation I might buy one of their reverbs again.
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

I use iLok for the Lexicon Bundles along with my UVI and SoundToys plugins, doesn’t bother me in the slightest. If anything it allows me to switch between using the plugins on both my laptop and desktop without using 2 activations.
Old 5th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGee View Post
I use iLok for the Lexicon Bundles along with my UVI and SoundToys plugins, doesn’t bother me in the slightest. If anything it allows me to switch between using the plugins on both my laptop and desktop without using 2 activations.
Both UVI and Soundtoys now offer multiple activations. I only work with laptop nowadays and I'm always out of usb ports or even power. If I'd have a desktop (I used to have), I'd probably keep the dongle attached there and use laptop with computer based activations.
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Both UVI and Soundtoys now offer multiple activations. I only work with laptop nowadays and I'm always out of usb ports or even power. If I'd have a desktop (I used to have), I'd probably keep the dongle attached there and use laptop with computer based activations.
I know they offer multiple activations but I’ve never needed them. No issues or shortage with USB ports on my 3XS Laptop, I have 3xUSB 3 and 1xUSB 2, I use a 4 Port Belkin Hub (for non critical stuff such as the dongles and a trackball) which leaves me 3 ports for my audio interface and midi controllers.

I switch the Hub and dongles between Laptop and Desktop as required, no messing with activations or anything if I need to reinstall. It works hassle free for me and always has.

If I was running a company I would offer both options to give people the choice but Lexicon don’t seem to be very active any more. It’s a shame as the Concert Hall, Plates, Chorus/Modulated Delays are some of my favourite plugins, I hope they keep them updated.
Old 5th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks!
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Lexicon don’t seem to be very active any more. It’s a shame as the Concert Hall, Plates, Chorus/Modulated Delays are some of my favourite plugins, I hope they keep them updated.
I own the PCM Total Bundle and the LX480, but very interested with the PCM 81 plugin. Especially the Dual FX Algorithm and the Scott Martin Gershin Card. Also the PCM 91 for the Dual Reverb Algorithms. Those are more on the digital sounding side, but a very good one, still have a bit of the vintage modjo - not as crisp/trebly sounding. So far I can only trick my self by using the PSP N20 to pretend as a Lexicon MFX, which is a great one, just not as hardware sounding. When PSP update it (PSP42 and 85 as well) with their current standard, it's going to be the most awesome. I own Excalibur but not really gel with it. Those boxes have some kind of Lexichip's magic to it's sound. I found that the UVI Plate have a bit of those magical quality and so grateful using it as another trick to my Lexicon mind.

Those supposed to be easy for Lexicon to release, with no competitor at all. Each as a single plugin, not multi plugins like the current PCM Native, with all of the original and updated presets.

The HD Cart is great but I see it as a different category. The other 3 of my favorite for the 224/PCM 70 teritory are the Megaverb, Redline Reverb and TSAR-1. Those are not perfect, but compliments the LX480 nicely. If only Lexicon would release the 224 as a native plugin, like Softube did with the Biscuit (OTO BAM pls!). Still a huge market for being non active.

Last edited by crystalmsc; 6th December 2018 at 07:12 AM..
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalmsc View Post
I own the PCM Total Bundle and the LX480, but very interested with the PCM 81 plugin. Especially the Dual FX Algorithm and the Scott Martin Gershin Card. Also the PCM 91 for the Dual Reverb Algorithms. Those are more on the digital sounding side, but a very good one, still have a bit of the vintage modjo - not as crisp/trebly sounding. So far I can only trick my self by using the PSP N20 to pretend as a Lexicon MFX, which is a great one, just not as hardware sounding. When PSP update it with their current standard, it's going to be the most awesome. I own Excalibur but not really gel with it. Those boxes have some kind of Lexichip's magic to it's sound. I found that the UVI Plate have a bit of those magical quality and so grateful using it as another trick to my Lexicon mind.

Those supposed to be easy for Lexicon to release, with no competitor at all. Each as a single plugin, not multi plugins like the current PCM Native, with all of the original and updated presets.

The HD Cart is great but I see it as a different category. The other 3 of my favorite for the 224/PCM 70 teritory are the Megaverb, Redline Reverb and TSAR-1. Those are not perfect, but compliments the LX480 nicely. If only Lexicon would release the 224 as a native plugin, like Softube did with the Biscuit (OTO BAM pls!). Still a huge market for being non active.
Yeah I’d love to see a PCM 81 plugin, I doubt we’ll ever see it though sadly. I don’t think there’s anyone left at Lexicon to code it is there? I may pick one up at some point but my next purchase is going to be a Novation Peak. After that I’ll probably look at getting some interesting rack Multi effects units maybe a PCM 81, DP4 or an Eventide.

I also own Excalibur and I find it disappointing,
when comparing its delays, chorus and pitch shifters to the PCM Bundle. Hopefully he’ll release an updated version and improve it at some point but for now I’d rather use the PCM plugins in a modular host like Plogue Bidule. Reverb wise I’m satisfied with the PCM Native and haven’t felt the need to look elsewhere, I’ll be looking at Exponential Audio offerings if I need something else.
Old 6th December 2018
Sorry but I really just do not get the constant whining about iLOKs.
They work fine for me, and I have so many keys hanging off the back it's not funny but - so bloody what?
Software developers deserve to get paid too, and the problem with system based authorization (as I know only too well from when an HDD went down on me) is that it is a much bigger PITA to get sorted out if you lose an HDD.
Each & every system based tool has to be relicensed and that gets really tedious very quickly with some developers even saying that their product "lives and dies on the same system, and the "HDD being new now makes this a new system". Been there, had the arguments and give me a key any day of the week please.
Old 6th December 2018
Lives for gear

Initially I hated iLok. Now I hate drive-authorization. Upgrade a computer, lose or install a new drive, or try to move plugins to a different computer... with iLok there's nothing required but moving the dongle -- with drive-authorizations it's nothing short of a headache, and good luck dealing with the developers who will question whether or not your purchase is legit and be apprehensive about passing out new authorizations. And some authorization schemes are installed at a root level which is bad news. I've heard horror stories that I'd rather not live.

No, iLok doesn't have the downsides it once had. HDD authorizations, however, can be a sharp thorn in your side.
Old 7th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah I’d love to see a PCM 81 plugin, I doubt we’ll ever see it though sadly. I don’t think there’s anyone left at Lexicon to code it is there? I may pick one up at some point but my next purchase is going to be a Novation Peak. After that I’ll probably look at getting some interesting rack Multi effects units maybe a PCM 81, DP4 or an Eventide.

I also own Excalibur and I find it disappointing,
when comparing its delays, chorus and pitch shifters to the PCM Bundle. Hopefully he’ll release an updated version and improve it at some point but for now I’d rather use the PCM plugins in a modular host like Plogue Bidule. Reverb wise I’m satisfied with the PCM Native and haven’t felt the need to look elsewhere, I’ll be looking at Exponential Audio offerings if I need something else.
I miss the day when the developer was around and very active in the forum. Nobody representing Lexicon now. But if UAD can do the endorsed 224/480, maybe a company like PSP can do the 81/91, they seems to be really good with Lexicon stuffs. Those are cool boxes, always want a plugin version of the DP4+, the H3000 factory is cool but can use an update. Their new Instant Phaser/Flanger sounds amazing! I'm a beta tester. Hopefully they will upgrade it to their current standard. Also the Ultra Reverb and H3000 Band Delays which are very good already.

I own the Excalibur, R2 and Phoenix but didn't continue with the newer, because I didn't gel with their product. I'm more into Soundtoys and Eventide for those type of effects. Doubt that the Excalibur will get an update, it's been silent for quiet some time, the same with Phoenix and R2 which Betas are over. PCM is the most solid representation of all Lexicon's modern effects for now. Curious to see their modern takes on the H9000.

Last edited by crystalmsc; 7th December 2018 at 08:34 AM..
Old 13th December 2018
Here for the gear

Yeah, so what? You have to use an ilok. Is it really that difficult for you? These companies have to protect their product from piracy. I would never not buy a plugin if I thought it sounded amazing and I had to have it because I had to use an ilok that I am already using for several other high quality plugins. Some people need to spend more time making music and less time whining about iloks.
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Nut

So is this bundle still worth the price as it's now almost 10 years old? I've been listening to demos and absolutely impressed by this plugin but the age of it is a major turnoff. I'm torn between this and the Exponential Audio R4 which is much newer and still has the lexicon footprint.
If it helps, my other reverb plugins are Seventh Heaven pro, VSR S24, Soundtoys Little plate, Eventide 2016 stereo room and Blackhole, and PSP 2445 and Nexcellence. All I need now is a good Lex verb. The Relab LX480 is another I might consider but currently sitting on the R4 and this PCM Bundle.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari88 View Post
So is this bundle still worth the price as it's now almost 10 years old?
Sometimes Reverbs are like wine, the older the better. You can't go wrong with the PCM Total Bundle and LX480 for Lexicon reverb, both are really complimenting each other. I own the R2, Phoenix and Excalibur but not really gel with them especially when comparing the Lexicon vibe with the former. I own all the other reverbs you have mentioned as well, except Nexcellence. But If I have to choose only 2 reverbs it's going to be the PCM and LX480. Both covers the classic and a more modern Lexicon. The other reverbs worth to mention are the UVI Plate which has some kind of a modern lexicon magic which I really adore. Also the Gold Plate which somehow stays between the PCM and LX480 which has the depth and organic sound with an attitude. But as the next gen reverbs, both takes more CPU. The PCM and LX480 in contrary are very effective.

Another old but goodness is the Redline Reverb, which is not as Lexicon sounding but somehow complimenting the PCM and LX480 nicely, I see it as a lighter sounding PCM70 type of reverb which blends really well with the source, light on CPU, smooth and capable to sound huge. Also have some Lexiconish variant when using the B2, especially those amazing presets by Den. There's a 224 type of presets that I really like. It's an end all be all, but taxes way more CPU. I like the Megaverb and TSAR-1 as well for the 224 type of reverb. The PSP N2O is my trick box of a Lexicon digital multiFX. With what's available now, I have most of my Lexicon needs covered. Including the HD Cart which might need a little update for becoming a more perfect emulation.

But If I should choose only one, it's going to be the PCM Total Bundle. Because it somehow represents a bit of the 224 (Concert Hall), 480 (Random Hall) and the original Hall for the PCM96. It can sounds a bit like the PCM70, but can't replace the LX480. I love the sweet sounding Delays and Chorus which compliment the PSP 42/85 nicely. But the PCM sounds more on the modern side, which can be tweaked to sound closer to the older unit, just not the same. For 80s music, nothing can beat the LX480 and Megaverb, but both can't sound as modern as the PCM.

Last edited by crystalmsc; 3rd January 2019 at 12:32 PM..
Old 3rd January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalmsc View Post
But If I should choose only one, it's going to be the PCM Total Bundle.
This is why I come here. What a fantastic write up. Thank you! Very helpful. I do a lot of orchestral type stuff so the Bricasti's (Seventh Heaven) natural sound is perfect, but it can suffer from being a little "boring" sometimes so I've been experimenting with adding just a little a splash of other more flavorful reverbs on top of the Bricasti to get some great results. The Lex sounds seem to add so much magic that I feel like I've missed out all these years.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search