The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SoundToys - Decapitator Plugin
Old 26th May 2010 | Show parent
  #901
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseber View Post
so I don't quite get what this thing does
Distortion - from subtle juice to whole new melodies of overtones.
Old 27th May 2010 | Show parent
  #902
Lives for gear
 
screentan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-sharp View Post
Do you have any interest in trying your hand at a tape sim?
Sorry its not a Sound Toys product but this baby looks interesting:
Sound Skulptor - STS : Analog Stereo Tape Simulator, Professional Audio Kits
Old 13th June 2010 | Show parent
  #903
Lives for gear
 
ianbryn11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseber View Post
so I don't quite get what this thing does
I just downloaded the trial demo.. It makes things sound better... End of story......

My new favorite plug..... i put it on every track of a mix ive been working on, and the sound of the mix just got better with every instance of it....
Old 13th June 2010 | Show parent
  #904
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 View Post
I just downloaded the trial demo.. It makes things sound better... End of story......

My new favorite plug..... i put it on every track of a mix ive been working on, and the sound of the mix just got better with every instance of it....
i guess I'm using it wrong...
Old 13th June 2010 | Show parent
  #905
Lives for gear
 
zvenx's Avatar
 

of course for different uses, there are different ways to use it, but for me too... I load it, put a small amount of drive, and back the mix to about 40%....sweeeet..
rsp
Old 18th June 2010 | Show parent
  #906
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomen View Post
Question is: if I put Decapitator on the master bus or on an aux bus, will I get the exact same results?
No.
A well-made saturation plugin reacts to the signal and distorts (among other things) differently on higher input levels and on lower ones. That said, the sum of like 32 individually saturated tracks cannot be the same as saturation just the sum.
Old 19th June 2010 | Show parent
  #907
Gear Maniac
 
Chauvin's Avatar
Would like to know if anyone has tested this against any respected mic pre-amps?

I'm currently running a ART PRO MPA II pre and if the Decapitator is better, I think I will be selling the ART.
Old 19th June 2010 | Show parent
  #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauvin View Post
Would like to know if anyone has tested this against any respected mic pre-amps?

I'm currently running a ART PRO MPA II pre and if the Decapitator is better, I think I will be selling the ART.
What would you use as a pre?
Old 19th June 2010 | Show parent
  #909
Gear Maniac
 
Chauvin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
What would you use as a pre?
I would use my RME 400 for the pre. I only use the ART for the tube flavour.
Old 19th June 2010 | Show parent
  #910
Lives for gear
 
fantomen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
No.
A well-made saturation plugin reacts to the signal and distorts (among other things) differently on higher input levels and on lower ones. That said, the sum of like 32 individually saturated tracks cannot be the same as saturation just the sum.
Thx a lot for the answer! After several weeks I finally got my question responded.

Cheers!
Old 19th June 2010 | Show parent
  #911
Gear Nut
 
newrigel's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 View Post
I just downloaded the trial demo.. It makes things sound better... End of story......

My new favorite plug..... i put it on every track of a mix ive been working on, and the sound of the mix just got better with every instance of it....
Depends if you just want to follow trends or not. For trend yeah! For cutting edge or something fresh, no.
Old 28th June 2010 | Show parent
  #912
Lives for gear
 
javahut's Avatar
So whatever happened to the update to SoundToys Native Effects Bundle that was supposed to be out in a few weeks to fix the problem of the GUI not reflecting the automation changes in Sonar?
Old 28th June 2010 | Show parent
  #913
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
So whatever happened to the update to SoundToys Native Effects Bundle that was supposed to be out in a few weeks to fix the problem of the GUI not reflecting the automation changes in Sonar?
Should be going out to our beta group this week. There's quite a few bug fixes in it, so we want to make sure it's solid before it goes out to everyone. Thanks for your patience.

-- KB

SoundToys
Old 29th June 2010
  #914
Gear Nut
 
autohorse's Avatar
 

Re: SoundToys - Decapitator Plugin

Cool! Will the UI work in Harrison Mixbus after the update?
Old 29th June 2010 | Show parent
  #915
Gear Addict
 
Paul Russell's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBToys View Post
Should be going out to our beta group this week. There's quite a few bug fixes in it, so we want to make sure it's solid before it goes out to everyone. Thanks for your patience.

-- KB

SoundToys
will it work in Bitbridge or Jbridge?
Old 8th July 2010 | Show parent
  #916
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
No.
A well-made saturation plugin reacts to the signal and distorts (among other things) differently on higher input levels and on lower ones. That said, the sum of like 32 individually saturated tracks cannot be the same as saturation just the sum.
I would logically think the same.. I just still dont quite get what Bob Katz meant with one hi-end stereo analog path instead of going through multiple analog channels (thus, summing boxes, etc)...
Old 21st July 2010 | Show parent
  #917
Lives for gear
 
B-San's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBToys View Post
Should be going out to our beta group this week. There's quite a few bug fixes in it, so we want to make sure it's solid before it goes out to everyone. Thanks for your patience.

-- KB

SoundToys

Any update on that?

Also I wanted to know if in version 4, all the presets can now be accessed in the plug-in menus...
Old 27th July 2010 | Show parent
  #918
Lives for gear
 
b0ssa's Avatar
 

..still waiting for that 'Default' bug to be fixed.. or am I missing something?

Obviously beta testing is a serious business at ST...
Old 30th July 2010 | Show parent
  #919
Lives for gear
 
bryan k's Avatar
so whats the verdict on this thing?

is it designed to be placed on every track, or only the master buss?

Im kinda guessing on every track, only cause theres a NEVE ("N") selection which models the input of a NEVE desk....

but again, im not sure.........
Old 31st July 2010 | Show parent
  #920
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan k View Post
so whats the verdict on this thing?

is it designed to be placed on every track, or only the master buss?

Im kinda guessing on every track, only cause theres a NEVE ("N") selection which models the input of a NEVE desk....

but again, im not sure.........
It really depends of the mix you're working on.

For example I generally use it on the Drums Bus with the E (EMI) setting, which seems to have the more bite/punch for that material.

Or on the Master Bus when mixing Hip-Hop instrumentals to get some grit and glue, with the mix knob at 8 o'clock.
Old 13th August 2010 | Show parent
  #921
Lives for gear
 

Decapitator is awesome for "punking up" or "Radiohead-izing" vocals.
I just finished mixing a track with female vocals that needed the "YeahYeahYeahs" sound (think of their song "I Need A Man") and
Decap was the magic bullet.

Yes, it can be add that subtle "glue" or "stickiness" to a track, or
make any instrument sound completely angry, and anything in between.
It's not the same as a distortion or overdrive pedal.
Old 13th August 2010 | Show parent
  #922
Lives for gear
 
Pale Pyramid's Avatar
Karen O's the bomb . I'll take a plugin that brings her into my mix anytime . Side note - love the presets that Dave Sitek , The Yeah Yeah Yeahs producer , contributed to the Soundtoys plugs .
Old 13th August 2010 | Show parent
  #923
Gear Addict
 

i compared the Decapitator plugin to the built in DRIVE of my moogerfooger pedal. i set the drive on the moogerfooger to the maximum, and used an analog synth doing a filter sweep.

i expected the Decapitator to be put to shame. but it sounded 90% as good.
Old 13th August 2010 | Show parent
  #924
Lives for gear
 
fantomen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taa4j6 View Post
i compared the Decapitator plugin to the built in DRIVE of my moogerfooger pedal. i set the drive on the moogerfooger to the maximum, and used an analog synth doing a filter sweep.

i expected the Decapitator to be put to shame. but it sounded 90% as good.
Yep, these Soundtoys people really know how to make good emulations ;-)
Old 13th August 2010 | Show parent
  #925
Gear Addict
 
WhiteSheets's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by taa4j6 View Post
i compared the Decapitator plugin to the built in DRIVE of my moogerfooger pedal. i set the drive on the moogerfooger to the maximum, and used an analog synth doing a filter sweep.

i expected the Decapitator to be put to shame. but it sounded 90% as good.
Any chance you could post a sample? Would be very interested to hear that. In fact, I'd love to hear some samples of Decapitator vs equivalent Analog gear processing the same source in general. Are there any around?
Old 14th August 2010 | Show parent
  #926
Gear Addict
 

sorry i didn't save the samples

the difference was mainly the analog version being a hint less muddy, a hint more defined, and a hint more ballsy than decapitator.

but the "behavior" was really similar.

the DRIVE on the decapitator was set to 5 to match the moogerfooger
Old 30th August 2010 | Show parent
  #927
Here for the gear
 

I´m still learning how to use this stuff but I do like it.
Here´s a recording I did last night...

I used a light touch of a few eq/compression plugins as well as the
decapitator.

YouTube - snare_0001.wmv
Old 31st August 2010 | Show parent
  #928
Lives for gear
 
Pale Pyramid's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sejuba View Post
I´m still learning how to use this stuff but I do like it.
Here´s a recording I did last night...

I used a light touch of a few eq/compression plugins as well as the
decapitator.

YouTube - snare_0001.wmv
Yep Sounded like Bonham
Old 1st September 2010 | Show parent
  #929
Gear Nut
 

Sounds Ok to me too Decapitator is one of my favorite Plugins. Post us your song on here when it's done so we can here your drums in the mix.
Old 21st October 2010 | Show parent
  #930
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Go 64-bit and I'm all over it. Until then....this can't do anything for me. Tried all bit bridges for Cubase and this thing just won't "act right" for meunless it's native 64-bit I guess. I get all sorts of problems from crashes to excessive cpu usage when using in various bit bridges. It is 2010, why are plugin manufacturers still not releasing 64-bit plugs simultaneously with the 32-bit versions..
Have you tried jbridge?
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 34 views: 13842
Avatar for Silver Sonya
Silver Sonya 11th September 2010
replies: 141 views: 37079
Avatar for dream
dream 15th December 2010
replies: 12730 views: 974400
Avatar for strange loop
strange loop 20 minutes ago
replies: 0 views: 288
Avatar for patshep
patshep 26th August 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump