The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubase 5 or Magix Samplitude 11 or No Pro Tools LE
Old 3rd March 2010 | Show parent
LQM
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
In your opinion. It is definately not a universally acknowledged fact.

Samp shines because of it's own plugins but I can go out and buy (in most cases) better 3rd party FX than anything native and proprietary to a particular DAW.

If you know how to operate Cubase/Nuendo equally as well as Samplitude, then neither sounds better than the other in digital, in the box, mixing and rendering when all the parameters are set up the same.

This is not including proprietary plugins, mixing through analogue consoles, or any other variable.

I am now not going to say another word on this subject and will just agree to disagree, but don't you think that Samplitude would be flying off the shelves, outselling Logic, Cubase, Sonar and challenging Protools as the industry standard if it was universally acknowledged to be the 'best sounding DAW' ?? So why isn't it ? (apart from Magix crippling themselves by not releasing a Mac version).
Old 3rd March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM View Post
I am now not going to say another word on this subject and will just agree to disagree, but don't you think that Samplitude would be flying off the shelves, outselling Logic, Cubase, Sonar and challenging Protools as the industry standard if it was universally acknowledged to be the 'best sounding DAW' ?? So why isn't it ? (apart from Magix crippling themselves by not releasing a Mac version).
They are late to the dance with loads of softsynths and samples that logic, cubase, sonar owners want plus their bad midi rep for so long, no mac version. But every mastering studio I have been in in the past 3 years has Samplitude/Sequoia. And many of them have stated it has alot more to do with sound than being able to compile and burn cds within the program.
Old 4th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Magix doesn't do marketing, and they don't bundle it in with every G'dang piece of hardware out there (i.e. Live and Cubase).

MIDI is plenty happening now (for last several years IMO), and competes head-to-head, so that's not it.

And I wouldn't put it past those pesky devs at Magix to do a Mac version at some point, but there may be a market-penetration issue there as well (and would involve a lot of rewrite I presume - so it may be a resource issue and thereby will probably never happen - but what do I know).

Similar experience here as well, with the 'high-end' and mastering suites grabbing up at lease one copy of Samplitude or Sequoia as part of their arsenal.

So, it may just be that Magix is working a top-down angle on their marketing approach heh

For me, yes it has great native plugs, but it also the object-editing and a sense of 'transparency' that I like.

And no, I'm not going to muster up another stupid null, or 'sounds better' blathering - it's just MY subjective sense of things after using it all these years (while parking some other DAWs on the side).

Greg
Old 5th March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusbliss View Post
Magix doesn't do marketing, and they don't bundle it in with every G'dang piece of hardware out there (i.e. Live and Cubase).

MIDI is plenty happening now (for last several years IMO), and competes head-to-head, so that's not it.

And I wouldn't put it past those pesky devs at Magix to do a Mac version at some point, but there may be a market-penetration issue there as well (and would involve a lot of rewrite I presume - so it may be a resource issue and thereby will probably never happen - but what do I know).

Similar experience here as well, with the 'high-end' and mastering suites grabbing up at lease one copy of Samplitude or Sequoia as part of their arsenal.

So, it may just be that Magix is working a top-down angle on their marketing approach heh

For me, yes it has great native plugs, but it also the object-editing and a sense of 'transparency' that I like.

And no, I'm not going to muster up another stupid null, or 'sounds better' blathering - it's just MY subjective sense of things after using it all these years (while parking some other DAWs on the side).

Greg

+1 to all that.

Also, Magix is completely re-vamping its N.America setup. They are supposed to announce some things any day.
Old 5th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I'd love to stay with Samp if I could. I'm on 9 pro now and the move to 11 pro is wicked expensive given the fact that I'm a current user.

If I could get there reasonably, I would. I just love Samplitude. But as it looks, I'm headed to Reaper.
Old 15th September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
I've been testing Samplitude 11.

I like
*Sound quality. I like the openess of high end IMO.
*object editing. I feel it is more flexible than cubase.
*some plugins. I'm going to buy Oxford plugs so this is not so important.

I don't like or have problem with
*buggy interface. Mixer start bugging when changing the size of the mixer window. The increments of audio level meter drop down to like 10 increments!!.
*audio drop out. Sound stops even transport is moving. I have to stop and play again.
*can't change the order of plugins. I can't put internal plugins before waves plugins.
*GUI is not so friendly compare to cubase.

I really like the sound of samplitude but I have some problems described above and make me wonder whether I should switch to samplitude from cubase.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I don't like or have problem with
*buggy interface. Mixer start bugging when changing the size of the mixer window. The increments of audio level meter drop down to like 10 increments!!.
*audio drop out. Sound stops even transport is moving. I have to stop and play again.
*can't change the order of plugins. I can't put internal plugins before waves plugins.
*GUI is not so friendly compare to cubase.

If you have issues with the interface, there are some wrong settings on your computer. Shared IRQ, virus protection and graphics card set improperly come to mind. Audio dropout has never happened to me. Even running 80-90 tracks this does not happen. You can also put your plugins in whatever order you want. At the bottom of each track there is an FX tab. You can set the order of internal FX and VST. Same goes for the object editor.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thank you for giving me a hint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRStudio View Post
If you have issues with the interface, there are some wrong settings on your computer. Shared IRQ, virus protection and graphics card set improperly come to mind.
The support guy told me that they have some bugs on skins. I changed the skins and problem fixed. All LEDs showing properly with million increment.

Quote:
Audio dropout has never happened to me.
The support guy told me there are a lot of people contact support for the same reason. I'm not the only one and that is why they have demo to test it out before purchase. He told me to test with different buffer setting. This is the biggest problem and I can't except that. Hopefully I can find the cause of the problem.

Quote:
You can set the order of internal FX and VST.
I just looked at the track routing panel. You still can't put them freely like VST -> internal FX -> VST before the fader.
๐Ÿ“ Reply