The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Spectrasonic Trillian?
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Spectrasonic Trillian?

Does anyone know what's going on with the release of Trillian? Anyone from Spectrasonic on GC have an idea more or less when it will be released? Thanks
Old 3rd September 2009
The website says October 26th. I checked it yesterday. Really looking forward to it - I still use Trilogy for all my bass sounds.
Old 3rd September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

?!?!?!? Man, I looked everywhere on the site...at least i thought i did. You have link? Thanks....Yup.....all my base comes from Trilogy unless I have a bass player come replace it to give it that live feel.
No need to wait:

MUCH better than Trilogy...

You can send the Thank You cards to my mother who still collects them.
Gear Guru

elambo - after seeing that a few days ago, I do have to admit that my jonesing for trilogy diminished a bit. It will be interesting to see what Eric has up his sleeve though. I've never been disapointed by a Spectrasonics product yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
It will be interesting to see what Eric has up his sleeve though. I've never been disapointed by a Spectrasonics product yet.
I'll buy Trillian too, I imagine. I still have nothing better for upright bass than Trilogy, and I assume Trillians uprights will be even better. For electric though... it will be quite a task for them to produce a product that I'd prefer over Scarbee Blue (or NI Pre - same thing). The tone itself is only half of it - it's the scripting that makes Scarbee so realistic. If someone can't make it sound realistic then they're not trying hard enough.
Gear Addict

I'm with you on the Scarbee NI bass. I bought it after seeing the demo and it's just the thing to hold me over until Trillian shows up.

It really seems to cover a lot of situations.

Lives for gear
Wow that Scarbee looks nice. Some of those things are hard to do in Trilogy.
edit; Sold.
Lives for gear

How's the NI Pre-Bass on stuff like ballads? Say, some of Babyface's old ballad type songs....
Lives for gear
also don't forget that for Intel users using wrapper, Trilian will be free, so the Scarbee becomes an inexpensive but useful option.

I use Trilogy a lot but it has a 'sound' no matter what patch you use. Will be nice to use this new flavor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
also don't forget that for Intel users using wrapper, Trilian will be free, so the Scarbee becomes an inexpensive but useful option.

I use Trilogy a lot but it has a 'sound' no matter what patch you use. Will be nice to use this new flavor.
Trillian is free, but not for PPC users or those Intel owners who haven't yet bought Trilogy.

Trilogy never sat well in the mix (boomy and lacking the essential richness of the lower-mid and mid-range harmonics). I imagine they've heard this enough from customers to make adjustments for it in Trillian.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Trillian is free, but not for PPC users or those Intel owners who haven't yet bought Trilogy.

Trilogy never sat well in the mix (boomy and lacking the essential richness of the lower-mid and mid-range harmonics). I imagine they've heard this enough from customers to make adjustments for it in Trillian.
I agree on the boominess of Trilogy. It really needs to go thru an amp and cabinet to cut through. When you don't want to use an amp, Trilogy needs to be high passed and you have to artificially boost a band, and it just strays away from sounding like a true bass. Any harmonics have to be faked in, but you can't get the resonance of a true bass with a plug-in. It has to be in there.

Oddly enough this has been my only option for years now. Listening more to Scarbee, they almost sound TOO clean, they might cut thru better, but you will need some dirt added back in.
Lives for gear

Really?? Trillain/Trilogy is a TOTAL Bass Module. It has Acoustic, Synth & Electric basses. And, they are covered well.

Pre bass, is only Electric Bass lib..

Quote:
No need to wait:

MUCH better than Trilogy...

You can send the Thank You cards to my mother who still collects them.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdpro View Post
Really?? Trillain/Trilogy is a TOTAL Bass Module. It has Acoustic, Synth & Electric basses. And, they are covered well.

Yeah I think this inexpensive option is really a shot at waiting Trilogy users, to introduce us to Scarbee, and have us meander over to the acoustic libraries they already have.

They certainly have an audience as many have been waiting for years to replace Trilogy only to be delayed longer.
Quote:
Listening more to Scarbee, they almost sound TOO clean, they might cut thru better, but you will need some dirt added back in.
It has presets which alter the sound in such a way. Or you could add a little saturation, or an amp, etc. Lots of options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdpro View Post

No, electric basses are not covered well at all. They are covered, but not "well," which is what everyone has been saying.

I use a Moog, or Moog plugin, or Omnisphere for bass.

Acoustic Bass is the only thing bringing me back to Trilogy. Mr. Scarbee needs to record one. Today. Now.
Old 4th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Trillian will look and feel the same as Omni I guess, just like before?

That NI bass video nearly put me to sleep!
Lives for gear

Quote:

Scarbee looks nice. Never knew it was out. I think i'll just get both. I'll get Trillian free since I bought Trilogy this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackback Drop View Post
That NI bass video nearly put me to sleep!
Yeah, good thing they're not in the video production business.
Gear Guru

Quote:
aI use Trilogy a lot but it has a 'sound' no matter what patch you use.
Quote:
I agree on the boominess of Trilogy. It really needs to go thru an amp and cabinet to cut through.
Quote:
Whew!!! Glad I'm not the only one complaining! I hope they are listening. Getting Trilogy to sit in the mix is very, very difficult. So much ultra low end that it's continually frustrating.
Lives for gear

yes I too have had this problem with Trilogy and have never used it's electric bass in any project. I actually use their older library, Bass Legends, much more for this purpose... however I love the acoustic and synth basses in it.
hoping that trilian cures this for me too.

rsp
Old 5th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Ultra low end, if taken out, cannot be put back in. Ultra low end is critical in bass, especially acoustic and synth, but also important for electric bass too.

If you want to cut out ultra low end, just EQ it out.

Ben
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree on the boominess of Trilogy. It really needs to go thru an amp and cabinet to cut through. When you don't want to use an amp, Trilogy needs to be high passed
Quote:
Listening more to Scarbee, they almost sound TOO clean, they might cut thru better, but you will need some dirt added back in.
Yes users should understand that "pro" samples should need processing to "sound" right. That's what makes them flexible enough for all situations.

Trilogy, Scarbee, VSL,... the list is long !
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
Ultra low end, if taken out, cannot be put back in. Ultra low end is critical in bass, especially acoustic and synth, but also important for electric bass too.

If you want to cut out ultra low end, just EQ it out.

Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
Yes users should understand that "pro" samples should need processing to "sound" right. That's what makes them flexible enough for all situations.
I know how to EQ guys. Been tracking/mixing to analog and now digital for 20+ years with every kind of bass known to man. And every kind of synth bass known to man. With almost every console made. And I will tell you, that the Trilogy basses are VERY difficult to get to sit in the mix properly. And it's NOT because they allow all the natural low end of the instrument into the sample. That's all I've got to say about it. Thanks for the EQ and production lesson though......

Lives for gear
For me it's not really the lows, it's the lack of mids that has me using a higher pass or lower shelf than I'd like. You do not want those lows pushing into the next process. And the lows do have a distinct 'roundness' that can be heavy for some styles.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
... the Trilogy basses are VERY difficult to get to sit in the mix properly. And it's NOT because they allow all the natural low end of the instrument into the sample.
Agreed!!
Old 6th September 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
I don't recollect having quoted you? I'd have no lesson to give, other than maybe an added dose of humility.
JW - that quote was mostly for the previous quote in my post from barbitol. Sorry, I should have replied under it instead of under BOTH quotes. Appologies for the misleading madness....

The reason I quoted you was because I disagree that I need to "understand" that they are "imperfect". An explanation : when I plug a P-Bass played by a good player into the DI input of a 550 or a 1073 clone, I rarely have to do ANYTHING to it. It just fits! I believe a "pro" sample should be just the same. It should just "work".

Maybe I'm actually agreeing with you. I think they should be "flat-ish" and not hyped. If you need hyped, then do it yourself to fit the track. BUT, Trilogy isso freaking hyped throught the library to an annoying amount that it becomes tedius and difficult. (at least for me)

Now, I've used trilogy extensively for years, and find it invaluable, but it just takes a tremendous amount of work to make it gel. It shouldn't be that way, and it was caused by the processing that Spectrasonics put on every patch in Trilogy. It's un-natural and it's "bigger than life" sound makes life difficult - for me at least. And in my opinion, no pro samples should have to take a beating to make them work in a track. Then again, maybe I'm just lazy.....

Cheers,

Eq gets you only so far with Trilogy. It's not a mix issue, it's a source issue. Trust me on this. I've been trying to make the best or Trilogy for years (at least before Scarbee entered my life).
Lives for gear

I recommend Rob Papen's fantastic-sounding but awkwawrdly named "Subboom bass" software for its startlingly physical subsonic lows.

I don't find myself using this kind of thing very often. In my own music, it's usually there at quite a low level to subtly anchor or underscore what is already on the track. My band has the world's most beautiful and inventive bassist on the planet. All I need is Basla, her precision bass, a good bassline, an Avalon DI (this thing is bananas!), and one channel of Thermionic Culture Phoenix and I'm set.

I'm looking forward to Trillian 'cause I think highly of Spectrasonics. I think they generally conduct themselves with high standards and I feel I have been treated well as a customer. Corporations that treat their customers well get loyalty from me. Infamously, Spectrasonics' transition from OS9 to OSX and from PPC to Intel Mac was awkward. But they compensated people for it and were pretty open and honest about it. That gets respect from me.

- c
Lives for gear

Quote:
Eq gets you only so far with Trilogy. It's not a mix issue, it's a source issue. Trust me on this. I've been trying to make the best or Trilogy for years (at least before Scarbee entered my life).
I totally agree on this!
📝 Reply